Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #76
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
Does a person with a wheelchair or scooter need a GAC to use a wheelchair entrance or use it in the queues? This is something I've been wondering since the recent discussions have led me to believe they don't.

No, you don't need a GAC for that.

In a WC accessible main queue, you just use the queue.
In an inaccessible queue you use the WC queue.

A GAC is only necessary if you have an additional need that is not made obvious by your chair. For mobility purposes the chair essentially acts as a GAC- that is it alerts the CMs to your special needs.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #77
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post

In a WC accessible main queue, you just use the queue.
In an inaccessible queue you use the WC queue.
At most attractions, there will usually be a CM stationed outside - he or she will ask you if you're able to transfer out of the WC to board the ride, and then direct you which way to go.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #78
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
With the new que you can take your scooter wheelchair through the stretching room and as you exit their be a cm or and entrance that will bring you out to the exit and that where you load.
As far as I understand, this is the "correct" procedure for HM now. Through the main queue and stretching room, and then taken to the back (where people get off of the ride) through a side hallway. Once in back the Cast Member can slow or stop the attraction to meet your loading needs. They are not able to do that in the main loading area.

For me personally, my back can not tolerate the trip over the cobblestones in an ECV or Wheelchair. I can do a fast trip over a small strip of them but the full queue of cobblestone ground puts me in unbearable pain. That means that since they have stopped allowing Guests with GAC to go in the exit, I have to be having a "walking day" to get through the front queue. While they were changing policy I made several Disney trips. The first time I went over the cobblestone, and had to leave the park (which was really a bummer because I was there for MNSSHP) Guest Services told me that next time to get an alternate entrance GAC. The next time I had my GAC and was ready to go through the back and the CMs stopped me. They actually yelled at me, there was a huge humiliating scene, imagine a very large male cast member standing over a woman in a manual wheelchair shaking his double pointed fingers in her face shouting. Yep... very magical. (I want to make it very clear though that the situation was handled by management and Disney made things right with me.) When I went this past trip we went early in the day so that I could handle standing through the main queue, I had a GAC and talked to the CMs. No one told me or directed me through the side hall so I was jostled through the main path and had to navigate and jump on the moving walkway. I was very lucky and didn't stumble and fall (as I have in the past) but I was fairly upset and freaked out. That's when I finally was able to talk with someone who explained how things are supposed to work.

In every instance of trouble I have had I think that a lack of communication has been the problem. Communication from management to Cast Members and Communication from Cast Members to Guests, and perhaps even communication between me and the Cast Members. I would like to think that now I know how it's supposed to work that I could finally go back and just enjoy the ride, but I would still have to leave my chair or ecv to walk the main queue.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #79
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen K View Post

As far as I understand, this is the "correct" procedure for HM now. Through the main queue and stretching room, and then taken to the back (where people get off of the ride) through a side hallway. Once in back the Cast Member can slow or stop the attraction to meet your loading needs. They are not able to do that in the main loading area.

For me personally, my back can not tolerate the trip over the cobblestones in an ECV or Wheelchair. I can do a fast trip over a small strip of them but the full queue of cobblestone ground puts me in unbearable pain. That means that since they have stopped allowing Guests with GAC to go in the exit, I have to be having a "walking day" to get through the front queue. While they were changing policy I made several Disney trips. The first time I went over the cobblestone, and had to leave the park (which was really a bummer because I was there for MNSSHP) Guest Services told me that next time to get an alternate entrance GAC. The next time I had my GAC and was ready to go through the back and the CMs stopped me. They actually yelled at me, there was a huge humiliating scene, imagine a very large male cast member standing over a woman in a manual wheelchair shaking his double pointed fingers in her face shouting. Yep... very magical. (I want to make it very clear though that the situation was handled by management and Disney made things right with me.) When I went this past trip we went early in the day so that I could handle standing through the main queue, I had a GAC and talked to the CMs. No one told me or directed me through the side hall so I was jostled through the main path and had to navigate and jump on the moving walkway. I was very lucky and didn't stumble and fall (as I have in the past) but I was fairly upset and freaked out. That's when I finally was able to talk with someone who explained how things are supposed to work.

In every instance of trouble I have had I think that a lack of communication has been the problem. Communication from management to Cast Members and Communication from Cast Members to Guests, and perhaps even communication between me and the Cast Members. I would like to think that now I know how it's supposed to work that I could finally go back and just enjoy the ride, but I would still have to leave my chair or ecv to walk the main queue.
Yes it is a lot f people complain to Disney but still they either have cms that don't listen or they have managers that don't share the complaints and give them more training as I said once they took away the turnstiles they figured problem solved. Ow guest in wheelchairs can go through the main que no more sending guest through the exit from the outside. But forgetting the guest that are it in wheelchairs who ant go through the building or guest like you who may have a hard time going over the cobble stones. Until Disney realizes and sees the problem and understand the problem I think hm will become a ride most people can't do and it sad that them making the main que wheelchair accessible has ruined it for many people. I don't remember reading as many complaint from people in wheelchair not being able to see the stretching room as I read now guest having a hard time going on the ride because they an now go through the stretching room. They would solve the problem if they would as guest service told you let you go through the exit from the out side but they won't anymore because of the new que. and it seems like guest services can't get the management team at hm to understand the problem and that they are not a real haunted mansion but an attraction in a Disney park that has to follow their rules and laws.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #80
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
With the new que you can take your scooter wheelchair through the stretching room and as you exit their be a cm or and entrance that will bring you out to the exit and that where you load. The problem with hm know is that they got rid or the turn style they won't let you just go to the exit like before now you have to enter the building either go into the stretching room or use the exit before. So guest with low vision or can't see that we'll in the dark are having a hard time because none of the cms or manager understand that they need to use the exit and not go into the building for their safety. It like they said we made the line accessible and that all where going to do so if your ot in a wheelchair or scooter and don't have someone with you to help you in the dark your going to have a problem.
Thanks for explaining the procedure. I have a difficult time seeing where I'm going in there, I can't imagine doing it on wheels or with low vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen K View Post

Thank you for sharing your experience. I never even realized it was cobblestones there. We take so much for granted walking. I'm glad they made good on your very bad experience.

I am having a hard time understanding why they can't just let you start at the exit since it sounds like that's where you end up anyway? The only advantage would be to experience the stretching room, but if you have done if before, you should be able to opt out.

Quote:
and it seems like guest services can't get the management team at hm to understand the problem and that they are not a real haunted mansion but an attraction in a Disney park that has to follow their rules and laws.
This is a very serious subject, but this line still made me

I'll admit I'm confused as to why people can't just start at the exit. It's not like they're not going there anyway. It would not be so hard for the first CM to ask people on wheels if they would like to skip the stretching room or not.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks for explaining the procedure. I have a difficult time seeing where I'm going in there, I can't imagine doing it on wheels or with low vision.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I never even realized it was cobblestones there. We take so much for granted walking. I'm glad they made good on your very bad experience.

I am having a hard time understanding why they can't just let you start at the exit since it sounds like that's where you end up anyway? The only advantage would be to experience the stretching room, but if you have done if before, you should be able to opt out.

I'll admit I'm confused as to why people can't just start at the exit. It's not like they're not going there anyway. It would not be so hard for the first CM to ask people on wheels if they would like to skip the stretching room or not.
Your right sorry for make a little joke no matter how many guest complain nothing seems to work. i have been saying like you just let the guest go through the exit if they can't go through the main que and then let the guest in the wheelchair that wants to go through the stretching room Go. They wouldn't have to use more cms just have the cm out front give the option and have them tell the guest go through the exit stay to your left stop when you get to the point the wheelchairs wait and that cm will help you from their. Maybe it would mean an extra sign or set up another que it in he long run it would help them out.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #82
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I am having a hard time understanding why they can't just let you start at the exit since it sounds like that's where you end up anyway?
It's a mystery to me.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #83
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

I feel for you about the looks. I have a niece who's disability is very noticeable. But my sister still gets the dirt looks and the comments. We have learned to live with it. We are just hoping that she doesn't notice them. After having that done to us. I would never look or give comments to anyone whether their disability is visible or not. Bt the way we have never had any CM's give us the look or comments it has always been guests.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Old 05-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #84
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

We have gotten the LOOKS & COMMENTS also, my DD has a hidden illness, hers is life threatening, but by looking at her she looks just like a normal healthy child. Although no CM's has made any comments, there was a few that gave an attitude, one at Toy Story ride in HS & one at the New Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom, he told us that they was not excepting GAC at that time, that the ride was not going to start running until 1pm & just grinned, I do not know if he was telling the truth or not, I overheard that they was having problems with the ride & the line was long,the wait time said 2hrs, I just told him thank you, that there was other things that DD could do, that we did not want to wait. Other than that all of the CM's was great, one even let us ride a second time, there was no one else in line when we went to get off.
It is the other guest that makes comments, & rude faces, it did upset DH, I just ignored them, I was making memories with my DD, memories that I might not get to do again.
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #85
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

My husband has gotten looks, stares, and outright comments the last time we were in the parks (last week) when he was with us (two and a half days out of the six in total) because he was using a park ECV. He has Crohn's, and is on monthly infusion treatments that leave his stamina less than half of what he was before the illness, and he cannot stand the heat at all- and the heat spiked while we were there. It was either the park ECV or not making the parks at all. All the while, guests were making constant comments about him being in the chair.

He didn't take it through the queues- we made use of fast passes and took it really easy- but we got stares and heard underbreath talk from CMs who would see him park it and then walk up to the FP queue. Until they took a good look at his face and how pale he was, and how slow he was walking- then they quit.

I realize people use things that they're not supposed to, but really, whatever happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt?

One of our best memories with my parents who were both on ECVs was during an MNSSHP on the Haunted Mansion. Parked their ECVs, Dad had his cane and they stopped the track without a problem or complaint, then let us ride multiple times through before stopping to let us off. It was my dad's favorite ride, and that was the best trip. It's sad to hear what has happened since.

Past Trips: Nov-Dec 20130; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #86
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Your right sorry for make a little joke no matter how many guest complain nothing seems to work.
Don't be sorry. It always helps to see the humor in a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by book_junkie View Post
I realize people use things that they're not supposed to, but really, whatever happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt?
CMs should ALWAYS give people the benefit of the doubt. Not much anyone can do to control the other guests. While I would never give anyone a dirty look, stare, or make a rude comment, I'll admit I have had some not-so-nice thoughts about a family that appeared to be using a GAC fraudulently.

I will stress the word, "appeared" as I know I can't be 100% sure. But I was sure enough that I would have been willing to wager on it.

Keeping in mind that I am a person with invisible disabilities myself and the mother of a son with the same, I can imagine the thoughts of people who have not been exposed to them. Thoughts are one thing ... acting on one's thoughts are completely another.

Of course that is no excuse for rude behavior, either visual or verbal. That is just a result of being low class. I honestly couldn't care less if anyone said or thought anything about me when riding an ECV. However, if I ever caught anyone doing the same to my son, I would be showing my low class side in a big way.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #87
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I can understand why they wouldn't want too many people going in via the exit at the HM. That corridor isn't especially wide, and it can get crowded with people going in both directions.

But surely MOST people WANT to go through the foyer/stretching room pre-show. I don't imagine that those of us who can;t safely do so would create an unmanageable crowd.

On the attractions & strategies forum, I'm always hearing people say that they were allowed to go in the exit because their kids were scared, without even a question or a second look. I don't understand why scared kids have greater needs than people with disabilities.

And even if they're going to refuse to give accommodations, they should refuse POLITELY, which they rarely do.

Last edited by ttintagel; 05-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #88
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by book_junkie View Post
OK....I will say this....I'm not a person who even looks twice at anyone in the GAC assisted lines....we have no health issues with our family,and I wouldn't dream of inventing anything to try and get past lines. But a lot of people DO try to do that,hence I think that's why some of the CM's get all snarky. I mean,they have to deal with 1000's of people all week long,most of them rightfully use the GAC,but I would guess a fair number of people get one for 'whatever' reason,thinking it's a free fastpass. Not excusing, but I'd think it would get frustrating trying to keep lines in order,esp. if they felt like they were being taken advantage of...just sayin'......
I've traveled once with my Mom who used a GAC,and I noticed that most times we didn't really save time, just some standing,etc. The waiting was longer in a lot of places, but she couldn't do stairs,or a wheelchair, she walked,slowly,using a cane that trip....and got to sit and wait when she needed it,so it worked out...And most of her ailments weren't easily visible,but they weren't invented,either,which is probably where I learned NOT to 2nd guess people needing the GAC...
Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #89
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

Quote:

I think it is because by going directly to the exit you do bypass some of the line. The stretching room is really just a way of slowing down the line and controlling the speed of entry into the line on the other side of the room. As is evidenced by the disgusting article in the New York Post recently there are those who are definitely not above abusing the alternate entry cards. It is once again a case of the few who are messing things up for the many. Those is chairs must go through the regular queue is Disney's attitude - they made the queue accessible so they have met any requirements regarding accessing. Allowing entrance at the exit is allowing superior access, not equal. I personally thing they should allow it (and I suspect they do for the alternate entrance GAC). How many autistic kids just couldn't take the crush of people in the stretching room? But the prevailing attitude toward wheel chairs is that they can go through the regular line. Not a problem for me - a few aches from the jolting on the cobblestones. Someone from design should have to ride a wheelchair over that a few times! But not disabling like it is for a prior poster.

If you can't deal with the cobblestones, I would hope that you could get an alternate entrance GAC and use it at that attraction. But I suspect they are reluctant to give them to those in chairs since it doesn't occur that multiple disabilities could exist in one person.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #90
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom View Post
How many autistic kids just couldn't take the crush of people in the stretching room?

Nope, my kids are autistic and we go through the stretching room the same as everyone else. They just tell us exactly where to stand once we are in there.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: