Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

We got major looks from other guests, but treated very courteously by the cms. My dad is noticeably frail, and has a hard time walking / standing. They stop rides because he falls over on anything that moves. The looks he gets are disgusting. No one likes to wait but patience and compassion are sometimes lacking.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #32
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry this happened - I truly am. Is it possible that the CM was simply trying to get some more info? Especially considering one of the attractions was Spaceship Earth? We were asked a lot of questions there, too, but I was under the impression it was because the alternate waiting area was going to be a far longer wait than the regular line. In the end, dd decided that she didn't want to transfer even though she can, so we stuck it out. We probably waited more than 20 minutes even though the standby line was only 5 minutes. I don't remember the CM having an attitude about it, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention?

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #33
berryinDC
Disney fan 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taytortots View Post
A specific occasion that I can remember was the first day of my last trip, at Epcot's Spaceship earth. I had used the alternate entrance that we had been directed to by a cast member. We were sitting inside the waiting area. Most (if not all) of the other guests were in wheel chairs. A specific cast member was grilling me on it. Saying things like 'Why are you here?" "You look perfectly able to stand in the line" "You're not in a wheelchair."
I was honestly very shocked. I'd never experienced this kind of treatment at a Disney park. Thankfully, there was another cast member there (a women, very nice) who apologized for the treatment.
That wasn't all he said either but you get the point. I felt like I was being treated like I was doing something wrong, when I wasn't at all.
I did go to guest services and let them know about what happened. I was really unhappy. I come to Disney because of their great customer service, and here was this person that was being straight out rude to me.
I'm really sorry that happened. That cm sounds pretty obviously inappropriate and rude. Questioning someone's disability is outside the scope of their job. You already have a GAC, they should honor it and recognize that if you're in that area it's because you feel that you should be.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #34
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryinDC View Post
I'm really sorry that happened. That cm sounds pretty obviously inappropriate and rude. Questioning someone's disability is outside the scope of their job. You already have a GAC, they should honor it and recognize that if you're in that area it's because you feel that you should be.
One thing people forget about a GAC is that it isn't a legal document, or a contract, or an IEP, and what's on it is just there to help the CM decide what to do at an attraction. It's not a magic piece of paper that gives you 'rights' to a certain entrance. I think Disney needs to rethink their GAC policy so that it is more reflective of what it is supposed to do, which is to provide some more access to attractions that were built before the ADA came into existence.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Something else to think about at Haunted Mansion - how often are they allowed to stop the attraction to let people board that way? When does it become detrimental to the fundamental purpose of the attraction, or become too harmful to the ride mechanism itself?
I really don't know how often they're allowed to stop the belt, but they seem to have a system down for spacing it out. I've seen people waiting for more than a few minutes at the wheelchair entrance, and I've never been on the ride when it stopped more than once.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
GAH! The CM's at the Haunted Mansion are the worst at handling accommodations for PWD. Simply the worst. I think anyone who has a bad attitude or poor people skills is transferred back there in the hopes that their personalities will just pass off as "spooky." I have never gone there and gotten the assistance I needed without some kind of scene.
How the Mickey Mouse does rude equate to spooky? I don't get it o_O

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #37
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
How the Mickey Mouse does rude equate to spooky? I don't get it o_O
It doesn't. But I think the managers HOPE that it will. That's the only reason I can think of for the high concentration of Crabby Appletons at the HM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
Jonell
DIS Veteran

We had a bad experience using the GAC at HM a few years ago. This was before the new que was built and guest with GACs were directed to enter through the exit. My dh showed the CM his GAC and the CM asked, "Is there really something wrong with you or did you get this card just to skip lines?" My dh replied that he had a disability that made the regular lines difficult for him. The CM then demanded that my dh tell him what the disability was. We got the CM's name and went straight to Town Hall to report this incident. Hopefully the CM was disciplined and never did this to another guest.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #39
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonell View Post
We had a bad experience using the GAC at HM a few years ago. This was before the new que was built and guest with GACs were directed to enter through the exit. My dh showed the CM his GAC and the CM asked, "Is there really something wrong with you or did you get this card just to skip lines?" My dh replied that he had a disability that made the regular lines difficult for him. The CM then demanded that my dh tell him what the disability was. We got the CM's name and went straight to Town Hall to report this incident. Hopefully the CM was disciplined and never did this to another guest.
That is truly awful! I had a bad experience once and went to Guest Services to complain. She was very sympathetic and I gave the Guest Service CM the name of the CM involved, but I noticed that the she never wrote anything down. When I got home, I wrote a letter detailing my experience. Within a week I received a phone call and I really believe that they seriously addressed my concerns. I now recommend that if a person has a serious problem, they should write a letter about it.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
One thing people forget about a GAC is that it isn't a legal document, or a contract, or an IEP, and what's on it is just there to help the CM decide what to do at an attraction. It's not a magic piece of paper that gives you 'rights' to a certain entrance. I think Disney needs to rethink their GAC policy so that it is more reflective of what it is supposed to do, which is to provide some more access to attractions that were built before the ADA came into existence.
Has Disney provided written information stating this is the purpose of the GAC, or is this your opinion? My daughter's GAC doesn't say the CM gets to decide what to do. One of the stamps offers a particular accommodation "where available." It doesn't say "when convenient for the CM" or "when the CM isn't feeling cranky or lazy" or "when the CM finishes flirting with another cute CM." Nobody has claimed it is a legal document.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #41
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I've never used a GAC and I am up to my fifth wheelchair trip. One was for a broken foot (pretty obvious) but the others were stamina issues. One was 10 days after a total abdominal hysterectomy. The others, including the one in two weeks, are stamina related. I have stage four cancer and am doing heavy duty chemo. And I will be doing it off and on as long as I live since a cure can't happen unless a medical breakthrough is achieved.

I will never understand those who complain about "hidden" stamina disabilities. Disney's answer is to get a wheelchair or scooter and leave the GAC for those with other needs. The alternate entrances are almost non-existent now and usually you wait longer. And if you are in the handicapped line (using the Nemo at the AK example) you are taking a spot in what are a very limited number of wheelchair accessible seats. I can't blame the CM's for being skeptical of the need.

I get out of the chair and walk through the regular entrance at Spaceship Earth and the HM. And I am very glad that I can since you will usually wait longer at the accessible entrance. And don't even get me going on the Safari!

The chair is your "GAC" so to speak. Unless there are needs other than the stamina issue, I have never felt the need for a separate document. And where I can I use a non-handicapped seat - I know firsthand from the trips where walking wasn't an option how it is to be told that there are no seats left when those who are not wheelchair bound are still being seated.

I also don't think it is discrimination if Disney does not provide accommodations - they are not required to do so under any law. They provide the ADA accessible areas and there is no requirement to go beyond that. That they do is commendable. There are a number of kids I personally know who could not begin to enjoy Disney without the privileges that the GAC provides. IMHO those who use it for what it wasn't intended (stamina) are contributing to a potential cut back in availability.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #42
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Could I ask how you know both guests had the same stamp(s)? Just having a GAC - or even having the same condition - doesn't necessarily mean two people need the same accommodation.

This. I have been asked questions regarding the nature of my need and in one case offered an accommodation I didn't need. CMs are not necessarily being mean or unhelpful. In my case, my GAC stamp is one that gets used by lots of folks who can walk but not climb stairs. I was asked about the nature of my need in case I was one of them. I'm not, but the CM had no way of knowing that.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #43
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

While an ECV or wheelchair is often the most practical solution for stamina issues, not everyone can drive an ECV, and not everyone has the stamina to get around in a wheelchair or has someone who is able to push the wheelchair all day. Some with stamina issues may not have the energy to walk from one attraction to another AND then stand in a long line. My understanding is that WDW does not issue a GAC for stamina issues, so I'm assuming most of these people have some other hidden disability as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
This. I have been asked questions regarding the nature of my need and in one case offered an accommodation I didn't need. CMs are not necessarily being mean or unhelpful. In my case, my GAC stamp is one that gets used by lots of folks who can walk but not climb stairs. I was asked about the nature of my need in case I was one of them. I'm not, but the CM had no way of knowing that.
Asking questions to find the best way to provide access is helpful. The OP says she was told, "You look perfectly able to stand in the line." If a CM says something like that, it's not quite the same thing.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #45
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

We had one CM at Guest Services that was rude (we still got exactly what we were asking for though) Other than that, we've had great customer service including some amazing pixie dust. As for other guests, I couldn't care less what they think and will just smile if they say anything. (They're already being rude so if it irritates them more... )

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: