Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,012

Unfortunately, some people are always going to be ignorant or just plain jerks. And even people with VISIBLE disabilities get treated suspiciously.
__________________
Last visited Walt Disney World 11/27/12 - 12/03/12
ttintagel is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran
 
geek+nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 838

I'm still rather curious as to what exactly happened.

However, in the future, if something like this happens, you can get the CM's name and head right to Town Hall. DH and I had very negative experiences on Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear on the same day last year. I was going to let the Buzz Lightyear one go, but after the Haunted Mansion fiasco (I am a wheelchair user who can walk a few steps, and the CM was telling us that she could not stop the walkway and that I would have to walk down the entire hall, which would have been impossible. We knew she could stop the walkway and insisted on it. She finally gave up, rolled her eyes and agreed to stop it) we went right over to Town Hall and spoke with someone there.

I cried. I didn't mean to, but I did. Disney is our happy place, and we keep going back because it is one place where I feel I am treated so well and I don't feel like a burden. The CM we talked with in Town Hall got right on the phone and called the supervisor at HM. She kept asking us what she could do to make up for that experience; I told her I just didn't want another guest to be made to feel like I felt. After we left, DH said I should have asked for a night in the Castle Suite! LOL
__________________
PJ http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post37986109

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
Bete
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Crawfordsville,In.
Posts: 4,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post

She doesn't say she is treated differently, or not allowed something. She sees "a look". She said no one has ever asked her anything or denied her anything. It could be she is very sensitive to "looks" she might be getting? I use the GAC with my autistic son, and have for over 20 trips. Not once has anyone ever said anything to me. If there were "Looks" I didn't see them.
Reread the original post. You'll see the original poster states she gets looks and questions from the CM.
Bete is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Taytortots
Mouseketeer
 
Taytortots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 113

Thanks for the replies.
To those that spoke about the stamina issue: seeing as it is NOT my only issue and difficulty in the park being in a wheelchair will not solve my problem. I do understand the response to stamina issues is to have a guest use a wheelchair.
A specific occasion that I can remember was the first day of my last trip, at Epcot's Spaceship earth. I had used the alternate entrance that we had been directed to by a cast member. We were sitting inside the waiting area. Most (if not all) of the other guests were in wheel chairs. A specific cast member was grilling me on it. Saying things like 'Why are you here?" "You look perfectly able to stand in the line" "You're not in a wheelchair."
I was honestly very shocked. I'd never experienced this kind of treatment at a Disney park. Thankfully, there was another cast member there (a women, very nice) who apologized for the treatment.
That wasn't all he said either but you get the point. I felt like I was being treated like I was doing something wrong, when I wasn't at all.
I did go to guest services and let them know about what happened. I was really unhappy. I come to Disney because of their great customer service, and here was this person that was being straight out rude to me.
Let me be clear that I understand they might want to ask questions, and i'm happy to answer them, but sometimes it seems as if they're accusing me, and this specific situation was terrible for me.
Guest services was great and apologized, of course.

EDIT:
I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience rather than anything becoming a debate between what is what. I'm sorry if I worded something wrong that you thought shouldn't have been used the way it was.
Could it have been meant a different way? Maybe. There's always a chance I could have taken something that someone said a way that was not intended. To me though, it came off in a rude tone.

Last edited by Taytortots; 05-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Taytortots is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
It sounds like discrimination to me because "her group" is disabled people and she is being treated differently, because you cannot "see" her disability.
Her group - disabled people - was not being treated differently. One individual was asked one or more questions that have not been identified here before being allowed access to an alternate access to an attraction. Alternate entrances generally do not provide seating (so she'd still have had to stand) and do not tend to shorten the wait time. Sometimes they do, sometimes those guests wait longer. It's possible the CM knew the mainstream line was constantly moving and would have gotten on the ride faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Which attraction didn't let you use a gac but let other guest uses gac with the same stamp sorry cms gave you looks and sighs which they shouldn't and their not trained by Disney to do that they don't on their own and once Disney finds out they can try and fix the problem.
Any two guests presenting a GAC at the same attraction at the same time won't necessarily require the same accommodations.
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,437

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post

Her group - disabled people - was not being treated differently. One individual was asked one or more questions that have not been identified here before being allowed access to an alternate access to an attraction. Alternate entrances generally do not provide seating (so she'd still have had to stand) and do not tend to shorten the wait time. Sometimes they do, sometimes those guests wait longer. It's possible the CM knew the mainstream line was constantly moving and would have gotten on the ride faster?

Any two guests presenting a GAC at the same attraction at the same time won't necessarily require the same accommodations.
I know your right
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,736

Quote:
A specific occasion that I can remember was the first day of my last trip, at Epcot's Spaceship earth. I had used the alternate entrance that we had been directed to by a cast member. We were sitting inside the waiting area. Most (if not all) of the other guests were in wheel chairs. A specific cast member was grilling me on it. Saying things like 'Why are you here?" "You look perfectly able to stand in the line" "You're not in a wheelchair."
Then you ask for a manager or you go to guest relations.
kaytieeldr is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Taytortots
Mouseketeer
 
Taytortots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 113

I agree that that is how the situation should have been dealt with. That's not exactly what i'm speaking about. I was simply asking if anyone had received any type of discrimination or had been treated differently, and people seemed to want to know a specific situation so I told them one.
Taytortots is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,466

Sometimes the queue area for the 'alternate entrance' is too full and people are turned away. If someone was enough of a bully, he/she could be so annoying that the CM just lets the person down there anyways, hoping that a few of the other guests down there have already boarded by the time the arguing/bullying is done. I've seen that happen at WDW many times. It always starts out with the CM stating "I'm sorry, I can't let you in this way right now". If there was another way to get access, the CM suggests it, but the person holding the GAC has it in his/her head that the alternate entrance is the only way they can go. We've seen this on Splash, and at the exit for BTMRR. Once the exit at BTMRR had a huge crowd waiting to get in, and we couldn't get out!
__________________
July '13 - CBR
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Any two guests presenting a GAC at the same attraction at the same time won't necessarily require the same accommodations.
Different guests, same stamp, different treatment, in the situation I mentioned. I wasn't completely surprised, though, because I have had CM's try to do the same thing to my daughter at that particular attraction. There is one accommodation they don't like to allow because it's inconvenient for them.
infopurposesonly is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!
 
floridaminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopurposesonly View Post

Different guests, same stamp, different treatment, in the situation I mentioned. I wasn't completely surprised, though, because I have had CM's try to do the same thing to my daughter at that particular attraction. There is one accommodation they don't like to allow because it's inconvenient for them.
Which us what? We have used the alternative lines with my father due to him being in. Wheelchair and now a scooter. We've only had an issue once at splash where the required a pass from guest services. I trekked over there where the guy rolled his eyes because it should have been obvious he couldn't go in the regular line. Some rides don't gave a separate line.
__________________
Suzanne



7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopurposesonly View Post
Different guests, same stamp, different treatment, in the situation I mentioned. I wasn't completely surprised, though, because I have had CM's try to do the same thing to my daughter at that particular attraction. There is one accommodation they don't like to allow because it's inconvenient for them.
Could I ask how you know both guests had the same stamp(s)? Just having a GAC - or even having the same condition - doesn't necessarily mean two people need the same accommodation.
kaytieeldr is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek+nerd View Post
after the Haunted Mansion fiasco (I am a wheelchair user who can walk a few steps, and the CM was telling us that she could not stop the walkway and that I would have to walk down the entire hall, which would have been impossible. We knew she could stop the walkway and insisted on it. She finally gave up, rolled her eyes and agreed to stop it) we went right over to Town Hall and spoke with someone there.

I cried. I didn't mean to, but I did. Disney is our happy place, and we keep going back because it is one place where I feel I am treated so well and I don't feel like a burden. The CM we talked with in Town Hall got right on the phone and called the supervisor at HM. She kept asking us what she could do to make up for that experience; I told her I just didn't want another guest to be made to feel like I felt. After we left, DH said I should have asked for a night in the Castle Suite! LOL
GAH! The CM's at the Haunted Mansion are the worst at handling accommodations for PWD. Simply the worst. I think anyone who has a bad attitude or poor people skills is transferred back there in the hopes that their personalities will just pass off as "spooky." I have never gone there and gotten the assistance I needed without some kind of scene.
__________________
Last visited Walt Disney World 11/27/12 - 12/03/12
ttintagel is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
GAH! The CM's at the Haunted Mansion are the worst at handling accommodations for PWD. Simply the worst. I think anyone who has a bad attitude or poor people skills is transferred back there in the hopes that their personalities will just pass off as "spooky." I have never gone there and gotten the assistance I needed without some kind of scene.
Something else to think about at Haunted Mansion - how often are they allowed to stop the attraction to let people board that way? When does it become detrimental to the fundamental purpose of the attraction, or become too harmful to the ride mechanism itself?
__________________
July '13 - CBR
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline  
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #30
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Could I ask how you know both guests had the same stamp(s)? Just having a GAC - or even having the same condition - doesn't necessarily mean two people need the same accommodation.
I'm well aware of that. Talk about the accommodation was overheard. As I said before, the CM's tried to do the same thing to my family on another visit, and when I made it clear that my daughter couldn't do what they were telling her to do, they accommodated according to what was on her GAC, but reluctantly.
infopurposesonly is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.