Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
graciepooh
Mouseketeer

Touring plans for oct. 13-20

Hello, We will be taking a trip to Disney in Oct. I have used TGM in the past but purchased Touringplans.com for this trip. The highest crowd level is a 6 during that week but is mostly 4s and 5s. Will I even need touring plans for those days or can I expect low wait times? I would love any advice. Of course I will go to the suggested park. Thank you, graciepooh
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Some kind of plan is always good. October is a great time to go. I like www.easywdw.com to learn some basics about crowds at WDW. The numbers at TouringPlans can over simplify it. For the same week, here's my basic approach.

We will pay for park hoppers because we want to go to the water parks too... and it's not much more $ to do both.

Will go to the MNSSHP halloween party once or twice -- expecting Sun and Thursday to be least crowded. Might only go once since we have been before. Will make sure we have time at MK on day(s) before the party so no pressure to do rides. Will want to spend time at the party doing party stuff... not rides (except Haunted Mansion of course).

Park hoppers are great for us for reasons -- MK is not crowded during the day when there's a halloween party at night... so we go there when we are NOT going to the party, then hop to HS or Epcot at night. Also like park hoppers when we can get up early for the morning magic hours, then leave at or after lunch if it's getting crowded or just to have some flexibility. Some days, we like to go to a park in the morning, afternoon break at the resort, then out in the evening.... somewhere else.
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Mr. Pig
I picked Monorail Coral so that it won't be lonely

I agree that some kind of plan is good. You don't have to be commando but even at lower (notice I don't say low) crowd levels Toy Story will still run out of FP in the morning and the other park headliners will still have longer wait times during the peak times of the day.

A plan may be as simple as getting to the parks early and wise use of FastPass. We have gone the last several Octobers and I keep seeing posts from people who say they were surprised how packed it was. I thought that crowds were relatively light but maybe I just picked the right park days.

I also find easywdw a good site to get the logical explanation for why some parks are busier than others on certain days.
In between - Too many times to count
Mr. Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Morning Magic Hour

In October, like the previous poster said.... there are some attractions that still require us to get up and to the park early. My favorite magic morning hour is at Hollywood Studios. Several times, we have boarded Toy Story and received 2 sets of fast passes. If it's still the same... the time when you can another fast pass is sometimes, somehow tied to the current wait time.... so the less the current wait... the sooner is the time you can get another FP. So we get FP, Ride in regular line, Get another set of FP.... now we can ride 3 times total with nearly no wait.

Another reason to go to HS early is if you want to do the Jedi Training Academy. It fills up fast and signups start before the official park opening hours.... and sometimes parks open early than the posted time...so it's always good to get there extra early.

Animal Kingdom is another favorite morning magic hour. Fun to ride kilmanjaro safari early in the morning and again later in afternoon. It's just an enjoyable park to walk in.

The difficulty for us in October is picking days to get up early to the parks. If we stay out late for the Halloween Party or regular MK fireworks.... we are not getting up early the next day. Those next days are usually Epcot or one of the water parks which don't seem so critical to get there early. Epcot has the big ticket ride - Test Track - but I've never had problems getting fast passes when arriving later (in Sept.-Oct.).

Even in "lower" crowed times of year... it can still get crowded. We went to MK on a Saturday and it was fine during the day... in the late afternoon/dinner time.... a massive crowd poured in like a storm. I guess they were all the people who traveled on Sat. and headed to MK right after check-in.

We don't always follow the recommendations to avoid crowds. We do what we want and plan. We love the mornings before lunch when parks are least crowded. But we also don't mind a crowded park if we are doing things that don't require waiting in lines... like listening to the musicians at MK (barbershop, saxaphone quartet, etc.) less popular attractions. We have also enjoyed no waits in line when doing rides during the fireworks and parades.

The one thing I do try to avoid is the exiting crowds at MK and Epcot after the fireworks. At Epcot, we either leave before the fireworks or stay back if the park is still open a bit. At MK, I pick a viewing spot where I can quickly exit to future world or Adventureland/Frontierland. The last thing I enjoy is being stuck on Main St in a massive, slow walking crowd headed toward the park exit.
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).

Last edited by DisneyFamily123; 05-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
graciepooh
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the information! I am so excited to return to Disney!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: