Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
momtopuddin
Mouseketeer

IPOD Touch and My Disney Experience

Has anyone had luck using an IPOD Touch in the parks for My Disney Experience? I do not have a data plan on my cell because I would not use it enough on a regular basis to justify the cost. I do have a moblie hotspot that runs off of T Mobile's 4G network that I can use to get internet access on my IPOD Touch. Just wondering if anyone has done this and did it work good?

momtopuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtopuddin View Post
Has anyone had luck using an IPOD Touch in the parks for My Disney Experience? I do not have a data plan on my cell because I would not use it enough on a regular basis to justify the cost. I do have a moblie hotspot that runs off of T Mobile's 4G network that I can use to get internet access on my IPOD Touch. Just wondering if anyone has done this and did it work good?
It should work fine, but the weak link is the wifi signal provided in the parks. It tends to be dodgy at best.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post

It should work fine, but the weak link is the wifi signal provided in the parks. It tends to be dodgy at best.
Agree. Just make sure it is fully charged bc your device will use a lot of power just trying to find the signal to operate the app. I thought I was crazy, but apparently I am not the only one who thought the wifi was... Well... less than desirable... Lol
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As has been posted the in park wi fi is pretty spotty so you will probably get better service from your mobile hotspot.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
gwmort
DIS Veteran

I did it back in November, there were some places it was great and there were others it was terrible (wifi signal that is).

If its something you need constant access generating your own wifi is probably the best answer.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
mistydoodles
Disney Addict

i used it in November as well and like others have said it was touch and go. I found that in tomorrowland it was pretty hard to keep a decent signal.

POR Nov 15th-23rd 2012 for DD 16th Bday Celebration
CBR Feb 16- Feb 23rd '11
CSR Nov 21-29th '08
POR Nov 9-17th '07
POFQ Dec 9-16th '06
POFQ Dec 10-17th '05
ASMO Dec 18-23rd '04
mistydoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
MouseyMin
DIS Veteran

I use an Ipod Touch too. I found that the wifi was not the greatest, but it was passable most of the time. To save the battery, I turned off the wifi when I was not using it. Every hour or so I would turn it back on, find a spot with a decent signal, and download whatever I needed.
MouseyMin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Just checking...we do not have smartphones but my dd has an ipod touch. Can I download the MDE app to it and use it to secure FP's while at the parks?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't the OP - I have the same hotspot and use an iPod touch in the parks. Although I take the hotspot to WDW on vacation, the only time I use it is if I need to have a secure network to pay a bill or something like that. I do not carry the hotspot into the parks. The only issue I have had with the in park wifi is inside some of the attraction buildings, which I would expect. Outdoors and in buildings with windows and doors close by, no problems whatsoever. I have used it to access MDE and it works just as well as my tablet does. I don't have a smartphone, so the iPod is a good compromise.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't the OP - I have the same hotspot and use an iPod touch in the parks. Although I take the hotspot to WDW on vacation, the only time I use it is if I need to have a secure network to pay a bill or something like that. I do not carry the hotspot into the parks. The only issue I have had with the in park wifi is inside some of the attraction buildings, which I would expect. Outdoors and in buildings with windows and doors close by, no problems whatsoever. I have used it to access MDE and it works just as well as my tablet does. I don't have a smartphone, so the iPod is a good compromise.
Thank you! You made me day!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I use an iPod touch for MDE in the parks and it works better than my android phone. Never had any issues with it.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
jester161
Earning My Ears

You will need to try and download the app first - some of the older IPOD touches do not support the MDE app - they run on the older software. If you try and download the app and it doesn't work you will get a message on your IPOD that says 'the software will not support the app' - good luck!!
jester161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: