Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker mommy View Post
Very true, and I tried to acknowledge that in my previous post. I'm just hoping that her bow and arrow will still be included as a primary part of her image.
I have seen her with bow and arrows in other examples of the revised image. I'm officially on the fence about this. There is merit on both sides of the argument.
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

To me, it looks like the aged her.

Merida in the movie is a very young teen, isn't she? Like 13 or so?

The re-do makes her look more like early twenties to me.
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Tinker mommy
Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurlFan View Post
I have seen her with bow and arrows in other examples of the revised image. I'm officially on the fence about this. There is merit on both sides of the argument.
Cool! Thanks for the update.

I hear you about being on the fence. I generally am not opposed to Disney making updates and changes. (I'm also not anti-princess.) I'm just worried that, while the grown-ups can understand business reasons for making these changes, the kids will just see that they changed Merida and now she is skinnier and prettier. I think she looks too different from her original image.
Tinker mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Lolsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivnMeUpTheWall-E View Post
This has gotten so out of hand. The makeover was solely to fit her in with the cartoonish princesses.

Her features and look have only changed as to fit in with the Rapunzels and Cinderellas. They conveniently leave this picture out of the story:

Here is how she would look, unchanged. Stands out a bit, don't you think?:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...5-1039-556.jpg

Here is a new one with all of them together. You can see why the makeover was necessary:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...7-1179-624.png
Actually, she does, but the first image also somehow makes the other princesses look less homogenous. I notice the other non-traditional look princesses more in that one than the other one. Princesses don't all have to look like minor variations on Cinderella and Aurora you know.
Lolsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

I've gone back and forth on this all day. I like to promote positive body images ... I have been complaining this week that the international woman sign on restrooms is a figure in a dress and not all women wear dresses ... but then I am like ... gee ... she is a DISNEY princess and they have a certain look to uphold. Kind of like Barbie. Plus, I agree that the Merida in the movies is a younger version of the one that is now a part of the princess line up.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

'Brave' Director Brenda Chapman Calls Disney's Princess Merida Makeover 'Atrocious'

'Brave' Director Brenda Chapman Calls Disney's Princess Merida Makeover 'Atrocious'

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/05/13...6pLid%3D312327

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking that Ms Chapman needs to remember who owns the character and signed her check. Her disloyalty is appalling and not something that she should be modeling as an example for young girls to follow. I hope she isn't wanting another directing gig from them.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I just read that Ms Chapman ended up being replaced on the film because she was difficult to work with. Methinks there is a bit of sour grapes there.

Last edited by dadddio; 05-13-2013 at 11:27 PM.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
To me, it looks like the aged her.

Merida in the movie is a very young teen, isn't she? Like 13 or so?

The re-do makes her look more like early twenties to me.
This. I also think they sort of aged her with a more mature look in both physique and apparel. It's not like they slimmed her down barbie style; she still has curves and a fuller face. It may not be what we saw in the movie, but as this poster said, she's more mature looking. I'm not outraged, or intrigued by the change, I'm just here on the sidelines watching the game.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #25
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Merida was a beauty just the way she was!

Plainly this change was not needed and from reading, not wanted!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

I personally dislike Rapunzel's makeover more than Merida's, not to mention Mulan and Pocahontas! (And *they* were already in 2D!)

I understand the whole deal of "she's supposed to represent something else, it's gonna give a bad image to little girls". I think they did a good job of matching her up with the rest of the line and keeping her authentic though. They left her in her dark green dress - yes, they added sparkles to it, but it's still the same dress she wears thorought the movie, with the accents of her Scottish background. It's not the turquoise dress she hates - which they could very well have chosen to put her in because it's more princessy.

The curls, yes, are more tamed, but her hair is still just as thick, just as red, and in a 2D way, just as curly. It still has the end of curls going all over the place - but you can't do as much of a messy hairdo look with these kind of drawings without it looking bad.

As for her getting a makeover because she's too chubby, I completely disagree and actually find that slightly ridiculous. For one thing, Merida was not chubby to start with - she has a round face. And that's the first thing I noticed when I saw her remake. They kept that feature of her. She still has got her nice round cheeks - the rest of her was always thin to begin with.
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Whats next, is Merida gonna dye her hair blonde to be like everybody else too? I am appalled by the makeover, it is so unnecessary and now it's unrelatable because we all got to know and love the Merida in the movie. I don't even know who this new Merida is. BAD DECISION!!! STOP FIXING THINGS THAT ARENT BROKEN!!! Merida quickly became my daughter's favorite princess, why not give this girl a chance to be her own person instead of trying to look like all the other princesses?!!

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o* View Post
Whats next, is Merida gonna dye her hair blonde to be like everybody else too? I am appalled by the makeover, it is so unnecessary and now it's unrelatable because we all got to know and love the Merida in the movie. I don't even know who this new Merida is. BAD DECISION!!! STOP FIXING THINGS THAT ARENT BROKEN!!! Merida quickly became my daughter's favorite princess, why not give this girl a chance to be her own person instead of trying to look like all the other princesses?!!
Agreed! 100%

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There are more black haired princesses than blonde haired in the line

Personally I think the issue dwells further than Merida herself. The majority of people were unhappy with the redesign in the first place, for *all* the princesses, regardless of what they are supposed to represent. None of these princesses were broken - they all got a remake. It's a marketing thing.

I guess people are gonna go rabid over all the princesses though. Not looking forward to what's gonna happen when Frozen comes out and Anna gets her own redesign
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
Minnies Boy Toy
Keeping an eye out for Mickey....

Quote:
Whats next, is Merida gonna dye her hair blonde to be like everybody else too?
Are there other Disney princesses that have dye jobs? Or is this just some sort of general blonde-phobia?

Quote:
I am appalled by the makeover, it is so unnecessary and now it's unrelatable because we all got to know and love the Merida in the movie. I don't even know who this new Merida is. BAD DECISION!!! STOP FIXING THINGS THAT ARENT BROKEN!!! Merida quickly became my daughter's favorite princess, why not give this girl a chance to be her own person instead of trying to look like all the other princesses?!!
She's not a "girl" or a "person". She's a cartoon character, and Disney is attempting to market her. I love Disney and its iconic characters too, but at some point I've seen them all change, and that has not lessened my affection for them. My guess is your daughter will make the same adjustment. Mickey doesn't look like what he did back when either. Back in the day he had bulky eyes, a long tail, skinny arms and legs, no gloves and his body was shaped like a pear. But I guess he hit the weight room at some point....
Minnies Boy Toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: