Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Liz&Griff'smom
Mouseketeer

Resort Ideas for Husband's 40th Birthday

We are taking my husband to WDW for his 40th birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions on which resort would be best? It will be my husband, daughter-11, and son-9. His favorite resort is the Contemporary, but I am not sure if we can afford it. Thanks!

Liz&Griff'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
vicb
DIS Veteran

Not sure what to suggest for resort, I have stayed at Poly, BC, BW, CSR and Dophin. All were nice in their own way, CSR was nice for a mod but got tired of using the bus to go everywhere by the end of the week.

I really posted to ask if your DH is at all into cars you might surprise him with the Richard Petty drive at the race track. I did that for my hubby many years ago and he got a kick out of it. I think there is something new with exotic cars too you might look into... if he is a car guy that is.

Good luck planning.
vicb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Griff'smom View Post
We are taking my husband to WDW for his 40th birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions on which resort would be best? It will be my husband, daughter-11, and son-9. His favorite resort is the Contemporary, but I am not sure if we can afford it. Thanks!
Our favorite is the Poly. The tropical atmosphere is beautiful, the rooms are large & spacious with all rooms having a daybed, the pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle while swimming, and the beach is great for relaxing and watching the fireworks. Plus it's only 2 monorail stops from MK and is just a 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail.

Another great resort in the MK area is the WL. The WL is a beautiful resort and is convenient to MK via boat, as well as to the CR where you can hop on the monorail and shop, dine, and/or visit the Poly and GF. Also, the WL is a great deluxe resort that's quite a bit cheaper than the monorail resorts.

Good luck and happy planning .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
brertoad
DIS Veteran

I know it's expensive to book at deluxe hotels. I planned a birthday vacation for me and my DH at Wilderness Lodge, I had a AP room only rate, and it was about $225 a night a couple years ago. I think the monorail resorts are definitely more expensive. The Poly and GF probably cost at least $400 a night for a studio with discount code.

Have you checked into renting DVC points for a studio or 1 BR villa? You could check into booking at Bay Lake Tower. It would be a little cramped in a studio, the kids could probably sleep well on the queen sleeper sofa, and you and DH would have to sleep on a queen bed. Or if it's in budget check out the 1BR villa. I'm guessing the cost to rent a standard view 1BR would be in the $390 a night, a studio probably runs $210 a night.

The main factor in price is the time of year, peak vs. non-peak. Months like Jan, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, are cheaper in general, except for the last 2 weeks in Dec. I don't know what dates you are looking at, so this is pretty general.

I've read that David's DVC rental is good.

Your family can order free custom maps at the WDW website, that's kinda fun to do.

Good luck with planning. I'm sure everyone will have a great time.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
bennifer
Mouseketeer

You're a good wife, taking your DH to WDW for his 40th! I'm turning 40 this year at WDW, too! I really wanted to stay at a deluxe, but then I finally realized that my little one would enjoy staying at AoA in a Cars suite more than anything in this world. I know, it's MY birthday, but I'll be at Disney and the memories are worth it to me! Anyway, back to the original question - if you are looking at Mods, I would say CSR. My favorite mod! If you can swing it, tho, try to go to the Contemporary for him. Have fun!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
vicb
DIS Veteran

Liz&Griff'smom,

Would a split stay work for you? Maybe a few days at a mod and a few at a deluxe?
vicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

We're going to Disney for the 1st time 9/25-10/1 - so, we'll be there for my dh's 40th birthday too. Myself, dh & ds6 chose the Beach Club for our stay- it looks so beautiful and the pool looks amazing! Plus, being so close to Epcot - we're so excited!
Hope you find the perfect resort for your stay!
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them & lucky dh celebrating the big 4-0 in disney!
Have a great trip!!!
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
MinnieTink
DIS Veteran

I went to WDW last year for my 40th too. I chose BC for the pool and proximity to Epcot. It was expensive but it was a great trip!

For budget reasons if we had to "downgrade" I would have been happy at WL or AKL. (My family of 5 no longer "fits" in these resorts but yours will.) I really don't consider those two a downgrade though, they are both great resorts. If I had to go mod it would be POFQ for its compact size and for value I would choose Pop.

MinnieTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We stayed at AKL CL for DH's 50th birthday. I bought him a camera and we did the Sunrise Safari, so he could take all the wildlife photos his heart desired. I am not sure if AKL CL is cheaper than Contemporary or the same, but DH really loved his trip.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Liz&Griff'smom
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will probably just bite the bullet and book the Comtemporary. That is where he really wants to stay.

Liz&Griff'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
PrincessesX3
Mouseketeer

My DHs 40th was in feb and we are staying at CR in August. that was his request. We booked a standard room in garden wing, but I want to see if we can upgrade (not for free) at checkin to the tower.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: