Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
UpstartCrow
Earning My Ears

Animal Kingdom in the Rain?

We're still about three weeks out, so I'm not taking the weather reports too seriously at this point, but we were planning to hit AK on what looks to be a rainy day towards the end of our trip. Usually I'm not too bothered by rain at WDW (unless it's really a torrential downpour that won't let up), but I was wondering how it affects park touring in AK, since so many attractions (to say nothing of all the animals) are outside.

Of course, with my luck, this will wind up being the only day of our trip where we DON'T get rain all day. But I was wondering if anyone had park touring tips/commentary for AK in the rain just in case.
UpstartCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

that stinks. I feel like AK is the worst park to be in when it's raining

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
PrettyFlower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
JESSketeer
Mouseketeer

We went September of last year and on our AK day there was a torrential downpour in the early afternoon that wouldn't let up. We ended up having to leave the park.

JESSketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

It rained a bit on us on our AK day last week. Luckily, the rain moved in over the early part of the day but didn't do more than lightly mist until later in the day.

We did the Safari 1st thing when the park opened & it was the BEST tour we've ever taken!!! The morning was cool & breezy & it kept drizzling on & off during our ride. ALL of the animals were out & active! My niece got the most amazing pics of the giraffes & lions.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
disneycat321
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't take it too seriously. We are going next week and the forecast changes daily lol. So who knows what it will say when you're closer to the trip!

We went to AK in June when there was just a little rain, so that wasn't the main problem for us. The problem was the lightning. I know for sure EE closes when there is any lightning, and I believe Kali did too. I remember walking around for a long time waiting to use our EE fast passes before we left because it was closed for so long.

After that, I would definitely stay away from AK on a "stormy" day. We actually switched our AK day next week partially because of the forecast. Hoping next week's forecast is at least semi reliable!
Disneyland Annual Passholders
disneycat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
richmo
DIS Veteran

Of course, at three weeks out, it is impossible to say your AK day will be rainy. It's getting into the part of the year where there's an excellent chance of a shower on any given day in the vicinity.

That being said, I didn't mind AK in the rain too much. If its raining hard, Kilimanjaro Safaris might not be much fun. The trucks are covered, but you could easily get pretty wet. You could also get a little wet on Everest, but most of the fast part of the ride is indoors. As with the other parks, if it rains, the park empties out, so in some ways its a good thing.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

We actually had the best time riding Kali over and over in the rain last May! We just went with it and ended up having a memorable time!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
mm1971
DIS Veteran

As you stated, the weather will change 10 times between now and then. Rain never bothered us when we were touring, especially in the summer when it is so hot. I say go with it and just enjoy the lower crowds. Usually the rain brings the animals out so the safari and trails should be great.

And it's a great time to ride Kali, as you'll already be wet.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
As you stated, the weather will change 10 times between now and then. Rain never bothered us when we were touring, especially in the summer when it is so hot. I say go with it and just enjoy the lower crowds. Usually the rain brings the animals out so the safari and trails should be great.

And it's a great time to ride Kali, as you'll already be wet.
agree completely - IMO the only time to really worry is when there is lightning - then things will close (Kali, EE to mention 2). I'm not sure what happens with Flights of Wonder during the rain - it's covered overall so the show probably goes on.

We've done the Safari in the rain - loads of fun. And people really evacuate or avoid AK on rainy days so it actually works out quite well to go there!
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

We did AK in the rain last year and it was fine. At one point it really was pouring, so we ended up heading to the Nemo show, they had closed many of the outdoor rides. It was a fairly wet day, there was a tropical storm passing through, and we still got to ride everything.

If it's a light rain, it's fine and the animals are usually very active because it's cooler. Even if there is a brief downpour, there are indoor attractions you can head to like Nemo or FOTLK.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstartCrow View Post
But I was wondering if anyone had park touring tips/commentary for AK in the rain just in case.
Get really big umbrellas for the animals.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

We did AK in the rain in March. The animals were so much more lively (especially the young gorillas and tigers) and the place was pretty empty. My daughter rode EE 3X in a row, no FP needed.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

If it is storming badly with lightening and thunder, we will try to find somewhere inside (like Finding Nemo or FoTLK) to wait it out, but if it is a light rain, AK is one of our favorite parks. The animals are all so much more active, the crowd levels drop to nothing and puddling jumping is such a fun memory.

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstartCrow View Post
We're still about three weeks out, so I'm not taking the weather reports too seriously at this point, but we were planning to hit AK on what looks to be a rainy day towards the end of our trip. Usually I'm not too bothered by rain at WDW (unless it's really a torrential downpour that won't let up), but I was wondering how it affects park touring in AK, since so many attractions (to say nothing of all the animals) are outside.

Of course, with my luck, this will wind up being the only day of our trip where we DON'T get rain all day. But I was wondering if anyone had park touring tips/commentary for AK in the rain just in case.
This was 11 years ago so Expedition Everest wasn't open but we went to Animal Kingdom on a day the rain was so bad, it was blowing sideways (yes, it truly did - absolutely no exaggeration). Total of six of us. We did everything, including the Safari with no problems. Of course, it helped we were some of the few in the park. In the end, we were cold and wet but it was one of the most wonderful days I've ever spent at Disney World.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
UpstartCrow
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like this could be my opportunity to finally see the Finding Nemo show, if nothing else (we always prioritize FOTLK and just never seem to work out the time for Nemo too). I'm not going to consider rescheduling things until we're actually in WDW (or close to it) and I can put more stock in the forecast. And even at that, it seems like we'd be able to manage unless we get hardcore, unrelenting thunderstorms that last all day. Kali and Everest aren't huge priorities for us anyway (DBF doesn't like water rides and I don't like roller coasters ). So, hopefully we'd be able to get away with weaving between indoor/outdoor attractions as the weather changes.

And if not, then I guess we'll just have to take another trip so I can visit the elephants...
UpstartCrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: