Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
jazbow
Earning My Ears

Please Help!

Hi, I am new to disboards, but I have really enjoyed reading the threads. Very informative!! I need some advice please. We are planning a trip to Disney World for January of 2014. We will have 4 days to spend at the parks. We want to visit Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and the Magic Kingdom. My children are boys, ages 10 and 11. Based on their enjoyment, which park should we do twice? It will be our first trip to Disney World and we are super excited!!! Thanks for your help!

Last edited by jazbow; 05-10-2013 at 11:56 AM.
jazbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
figmentswife
One little spark will light your fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbow View Post
Hi, I am new to disboards, but I have really enjoyed reading the threads. Very informative!! I need some advice please. We are planning a trip to Disney World for January of 2014. We will have 4 days to spend at the parks. We want to visit Epcot, Universal Studios, and the Magic Kingdom. My children are boys, ages 10 and 11. Based on their enjoyment, which park should we do twice? It will be our first trip to Disney World and we are super excited!!! Thanks for your help!
You asked so I will give my input. Number 1, universal is NOT a part of Disney. You may be thinking about Hollywood Studios, which would be a great park for your boys. As for a second day that would need to be magic kingdom, it takes 2 days to do most things.

Have fun planning
figmentswife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

Magic Kingdom should be split into 2 days if you expect to see most of it.

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
PrettyFlower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

You have plenty of time- pick up a guidebook like the Unofficial Guide or Birnbaum's Disney for Kids. That will tell you which parks offer which attractions and help you decide. OR, you could do the three parks you mentioned (of course, Hollywood Studios, not Universal) and on the last day decide which park to revisit. Don't rule out Animal Kingdom - your boys would probably like Dinosaur and Expedition Everest, as well as It's Tough to be a Bug.

Universal is a completely different park, as the PP stated. I hope your boys aren't looking forward to Harry Potter land, because that's nowhere to be found at Disney!
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
jazbow
Earning My Ears

Ooops!! I meant Hollywood Studios. Too many hours at the computer!
jazbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

If this is your first visit and it sounds like it is then Magic Kingdom would be the most logical choice. Just so much to do and see to get it all done in a day the first visit. I like the advice to check out the three parks and then let your boys decide what to do on the last day. First and foremost check out Easywdw to figure out which days will be the best to visit on.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
rebeccalizzie
Earning My Ears

We're doing a 4 day trip also--hitting MK, Epcot and AK. We figure we'll hit whatever park we want to go back to most on the last day, but I think it will likely be Epcot based on my kids' interests. MK is much bigger but there are a lot of things there that my kids aren't interested in at all. Your kids are old enough that I'd ask them what they think!
rebeccalizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbow View Post
Hi, I am new to disboards, but I have really enjoyed reading the threads. Very informative!!
First of all,
Quote:
I need some advice please. ... My children are boys, ages 10 and 11. Based on their enjoyment, which park should we do twice?
Since your boys are 10 and 11, they might actually find Epcot more to their liking for a second visit. It will, of course, depend on how "worldly" they are -- whether or not they're interested in international affairs and the like.

I'm afraid they'll find most of the rides in MK kind of tame (excepting the mountains), and AK is at best a half-day park (but by skipping it, your boys will be missing two world-class rides -- Dinosaur and Expedition Everest). DHS has several headliners (Toy Story Midway Mania, Tower of Terror, Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Star Tours), but once you're done with them, there's probably not much they'd want to repeat.

But for me (and this is subjective), I could spend two whole days in Epcot -- the attractions I most consider "re-visitable" include Mission:Space, Test Track (disclaimer -- I haven't been on since the refurb), The Land and Seas pavilions, Mexico, Japan, Germany, France and Norway. Plus, I just like the feel of the place.

However, most people will wait until they get there, and let the group decide which park they'd like to revisit based on how well their first day went.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it. No matter how you decide, you'll enjoy your trip and have a great time!

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
roselark
DIS Veteran

I think you should go to Animal Kingdom. Why not do one day at each park? It gets a bad rap from some people, but it is the best themed of all the parks and has some amazing detail. I think AK is the shining example of what separates Disney parks from all the rest and is one of my favorites. I think too many people rush from ride to ride and fail to see all the park as to offer.

As another poster mentioned, it also has Expedition Everest, which is my favorite ride in any of the parks.
9/2006 Coronado Springs; 12/2007 WL; 11/2008 SSR; 5/2009 AKV; 10/2009 BWV; 5/2010 POP; 8/2010 POP; 1/2011 AKV; 5/2011 SSR; 8/2011 Disneyland D23 Expo; 9/2011 AKV; 4/2012 Disneyland Grand Californian; 9/2012 BWV; 1/2013 OKW; 6/2013 AKV 40th Birthday Trip; early 9/2013 BWV; late 9/2013 POP

Upcoming trips: early 9/2014 BWV(?) next pin event; late 9/2014 AKV Grandma's 90th Birthday trip
roselark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

Agree that Magic Kingdom needs 2 days.
HS is a one day park.
Epcot is 2 days for adults who enjoy both sections but not for kids.
I would reconsider Animal Kingdom...boys that age would love it.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

I have to agree, I would do one day at each of the four parks. AK is great! Make your longest day mk so you can be there open until close.... Have fun!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roselark View Post
I think you should go to Animal Kingdom. Why not do one day at each park? It gets a bad rap from some people, but it is the best themed of all the parks and has some amazing detail. I think AK is the shining example of what separates Disney parks from all the rest and is one of my favorites. I think too many people rush from ride to ride and fail to see all the park as to offer.

As another poster mentioned, it also has Expedition Everest, which is my favorite ride in any of the parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappyfamily View Post
I have to agree, I would do one day at each of the four parks. AK is great! Make your longest day mk so you can be there open until close.... Have fun!
I also agree.

If you are not going to AK because "we go to the zoo all the time" or "we have a great zoo at home" just one thing. AK is not a Zoo.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

Is there a specific reason you're leaving Animal Kingdom off your itinerary? Just curious.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Hi jazbow. Danny, Brian and Reid welcome you to the TPAS DIS board

We are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch here so please join in on any other thread or if you have a number of questions then just start a new thread

If you have not had a look yet the DIS posting guidelines can be found here.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by roselark View Post

I was about to say this, especially for children who are older. Animal Kingdom is definitely one of the best parks.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: