Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
M&C
SSR 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
On this site you'll find everything you need (about last year's festival - the info isn't out for this year's yet)

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013-e...wine-festival/

I decided during the Flower and Garden Festival that using the tap to pay with a room key is even faster and more convenient than the gift card. The biggest difference is that you can't wear your room key on your wrist.

If you want to avoid crowds then do not attend the festival on Friday evenings or all day on Saturdays. If you must go on a Saturday, get there when they open and hit as many booths as you can before the crowding starts. Then get out. Obviously this won't work very well if you don't have a park hopper.
TDC Nala, when will the 2013 info come out? I looked at your link and there seems to a lot of fun stuff to do, but you have to sign up for them in advance.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
JeRmS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
I noticed, and maybe it is my imagination there were less places to sit with your food last year. We found ourselves trying to get organized on a trash can more then once. That was a little frustrating. We did drag out the stroller just for last years F&W. My 7 year old, who might be 7 and weigh too much for it, made no complaints having a comfy seat to sit as we strolled through every evening. Meanwhile we had cup holders. DH is so bummed that by 2014 that will no longer be an option as kiddo will be 9 and really too heavy for the stroller. He is trying to come up with easy ways to carry our food & drinks. Looking for tips if you have any He has mentioned bringing the stroller anyway but it's presently on craigslist.
Definitely wasn't your imagination, we made mention several times last year about how they needed to put more tables out because we were using trash cans as table tops more often than not! We had an absolute blast though so it really didn't matter but I would think that they would be more prepared for a "dining" event and have more tables out.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&C View Post
TDC Nala, when will the 2013 info come out? I looked at your link and there seems to a lot of fun stuff to do, but you have to sign up for them in advance.
July for the special events, maybe with some or most trickling out before that. August for the seminars and booth menus. Booking for special events and seminars opening mid-August. This is based on prior years, doesn't mean they won't change things up.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quick pieces of advice

1. If there's at least two of you, one of you goes to one kiosk, and the other goes to a nearby kiosk. Get one or two things you want to sample, meet in the middle and share. It makes no sense for both of you to stand in a line together.

2. Go for an evening, get what you can, and see what everything looks like. Keep a mental list of your favs and must tries. When you return, get there at 10:30am and get to your favorite kiosks first. Then walk around the rest of the time and get what you can.

3. I wouldn't bother with restaurants. The portions are pretty big, imo. Think of them as "hearty hors d'oeuvres"

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2000 View Post
Thank you for your tips.

Did you dine in any of the World Showcase restaurants in the PM?

Maybe no ones hungry? LOL
No, and I learned the lesson the hard way. When we were there two years ago (we skipped last year and that's a long story), we met my dad and stepmother for lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and had burgers with them. Then we went over to Epcot and the festival. Waste of time as we were stuffed. Never again. Will only do the festival and not concern myself with any ADRs.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&C View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't it be simpler to use your key to the world card so you don't have too many cards on you?
It's not ignorance, it's a matter of what people prefer. There are a LOT of people who don't want to open their wallets or bags or whatever and pull out a card.

Personally, I use regular Visa or Mastercard gift cards at all the booths. I could get a wrist thingy but I already have the cards so why bother? And yes, gift cards of any kind are accepted at the booths.

I dunno, seems to take the same amount of time at the registers so it's preferences rather than speed.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
V2000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
Crowd wise I think Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the worst. We tried once to hit a few booths at 11am when the world showcase opened, starting in the back entrance, and we watched the mob come over the hill Also standing in a 30 minute line in the hot sun for an expensive bite of food is not something I will do. We have repeatedly gone back on weekend evenings and find people tend to have already been eating and drinking or are in restaurants and lines are shorter. Plus no hot sun. We discovered this the first year when we popped into Epcot for an ADR. Had to walk part of the world showcase to leave and there were so many booths with little or no lines. Now we go every evening no matter the day.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! Going through the back entrance is a great idea!
V2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
GrumpyCAdad
Mouseketeer

I went in 2011. I really had a great time. It was crowded, but not too crowded, and the food and drink was outstanding. There was no way I was eating dinner at a sit down restaurant that night, as I tried several different items as I walked around.
2 Trips to WDW as a child May 1991: Disneyland: Off Site Nov 1992: Disneyland: Off Site Oct 1995: Disneyland Off Site Nov 2001: Disneyland: Paradise Pier Nov 2003: Disneyland: Grand Californian August 2004: Disneyland: Off Site Nov 2004: WDW: Wilderness Lodge April 2005: Disneyland: Grand Californian Nov 2009: WDW: POR Oct 2011:WDW Off Site June 2014 WDW: Off Site

GrumpyCAdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Bothepro24
Mouseketeer

I have gone several times during the beginning of Nov, both during the week and weekend. Weekdays are great, really relaxing and you can do and see everything, but, that weekend you also get the opening of the Osborne Festival of Lights at Hollywood Studios, but still a great week to go!
Bothepro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
ericarachel
Earning My Ears

Pro: I loved almost everything I ate and drank at F&W

Con: I am going back to F&W and may not fit into my wedding dress afterwards
ericarachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
M&C
SSR 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
It's not ignorance, it's a matter of what people prefer. There are a LOT of people who don't want to open their wallets or bags or whatever and pull out a card.

Personally, I use regular Visa or Mastercard gift cards at all the booths. I could get a wrist thingy but I already have the cards so why bother? And yes, gift cards of any kind are accepted at the booths.

I dunno, seems to take the same amount of time at the registers so it's preferences rather than speed.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
ppony
Artist in residence

We just did it for the first time last fall. We avoided EPCOT on the weekends and though it did get mobbed at night, it was still delicious! We would have loved it more if not for the heat. None of us handle heat well and my autsitic son had never experienced heat like that before that he had to deal with with no shade on his stroller. He won't tolerate it, nor a hat. So it was a miserable time for us. We had to do some of it at night, which as I said, got really busy! We WISH it was offered when it was cooler becuase we thought it was a FUN way to try all sorts of foods in bite size portions. We'd like to do it again, when we don't have to go w/ the kids. IF that is ever possible.

HAVE FUN and eat a Mongolian Beef on a steamed bun right outside of China's gates for me!

OMG! That was KILLER and I'm completely NOT adventurous and don't drink. So despite our personal experiences, I think it's AWESOME, and wish at least the food booths were permanent.

Last edited by ppony; 05-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #28
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2000 View Post
Thanks that sounds like a good plan.

I think I'll do MK on Friday, Rest at the hotel and Downtown Disney on Sat, Hollywood Studios on Sunday, and Epcot on Veteran's Monday!

Hopefully because people don't usually have Tuesday off they won't want to choose that day to stay late at the park. Or maybe they'll already be hung over! LOL
I would go to the F & W Festival more than one day.
We go for a week and spend at least 2 days/evenings in Epcot, plus 5 our of 7 total evenings there.
In one day you will just get a taste of the highlights
Have Fun
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Legendteri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I would go to the F & W Festival more than one day.
We go for a week and spend at least 2 days/evenings in Epcot, plus 5 our of 7 total evenings there.
In one day you will just get a taste of the highlights
Have Fun
We went last year and loved it. I don't know if I would want to go to DW at any other time.

Like others, I went on Disneyfoodblog and got an idea of what kind of food is served, what I would probably enjoy and how much it would cost. I was also open to other items if the mood struck me as well.

The portions are small but that is probably because they want you to have a small bite of the items and not fill you up. This way you can try others foods at the festival.

The prices ranged from $3 - $8. The most expensive being filet mignon and lobster rolls.
Legendteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

There is a lot to offer at F & W in addition to the food booths in the World Showcase.

I love visiting the Festival Center and signing up for the food demonstrations and wine tastings - for about $10 - no more than $15 you can see a chef prepare a dish in front of you and taste it with a nice wine. There are many other activities such as full dinners - some more pricey than the others and at various locations through out the parks/resorts but I definitely think I may try some more of these this year. The prime event is called Festival of the Senses.

See the entire Food and Wine Festival Events calendar for more information.

Last year - some of my favorites -

crab cakes demonstration by the chef from Fulton's
pot stickers by the chef from the Yacht Club
scallops prepared by a Belgian chef who is the head chef at a winery in Chile -

the list goes on and on -

So I would definitely check out the Festival Center - it is located in the Future World section of Epcot near Ellen's Energy Adventure.

Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: