Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Mojavetex
Earning My Ears

Our wonderful 8 day cruise out of Galveston on the Magic

This was our first Disney Cruise. We have been on several cruises on another cruise line. Of course. Disney does everything in a most excellent way which is one reason we wanted to cruise on Disney. Thankfully Disney came to Galveston (we live in Texas) or we wouldn't have been able to cruise Disney. Time and money make Galveston very convienent for cruising. So sad Disney is leaving Galveston.

Just a note about Galveston because I have read on here some remarks that made me sad. (I really am a happy person!). No, Galveston's water isn't a beautiful blue but it isn't polluted--just the way God made it.

Our cruise ports were Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral (Disney World) and Key West. Castaway Cay is the perfect beach--beautiful sand, beautiful water and food provided by Disney. Of course, we loved going to Disney World! We were traveling with our daughter, son-in-law, and 3 year old grandson and it was fun seeing him experiencing Disney World for the first time. We visited 3 parks--Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Disney World. I did a lot of research online and it worked out great. We just concentrated on doing things we all would love so had to skip some fun things. Next we went to Key West. We were there a short time so didn't do any excursions. Had time to do a little shopping and eat. Just when we were ready to leave a monsoon came. The streets were FULL of water. Luckily, where we were eating sold rain panchos. We had to stand in the rain to wait for the tram to take us to the ship. We docked at the Naval station and you can't walk to the ship. But we survived.

On board, the food was excellent! Try the beef wellington--it is amazing! And the servers do a fantastic job. Actually, everyone on the ship was great. We enjoyed the shows in the Walt Disney theater and also the movies in the Bueana Vista theaters. Villains Tonight is so funny.

The Magic is in great condition. It's older but well taken care of. The space in the stateroom (6144) was a little tight. All right, I do overpack a little but there was just enough space for the 2 of us. Not enough space to store our suitcases. Love the split bathroom.

The sports bar, Diversions, is a little disappointing as a sports bar. All that is allowed is Disney channels which really limits what you can see. But that was the only disappointment on the cruise.

Have our next cruise booked next year. Not on Disney since they won't be here
Mojavetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
sheldonlarson1246
Mouseketeer

Do you happen to have the navigators that you could take pictures of and send them to my email?
It would be much appreciated...
sheldonlarson1@aol.com
sheldonlarson1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I was on this same cruise and agree it was a magical time!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Mojavetex
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=sheldonlarson1246;48362168]Do you happen to have the navigators that you could take pictures of and send them to my email?
It would be much appreciated...

I think I have all of them. Will try to send them soon. Maybe tomorrow.
Mojavetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Tiki God
Earning My Ears

We were also on this cruise just down the hall from you in 6140.

We loved sailing from Galveston especially all the days at sea. Thought the whole process was simple and seamless from flying into Hobby, getting to the port and checking in.

Key West was an experience that we will never forget. 7" of rain in a few hours was wild! I think my shoes are still damp from the knee deep water.

This was our first Disney cruise and we are hooked. I thought the Magic was the perfect size ship and in great shape.

I would fly back to Galveston anytime for a Disney cruise!
Tiki God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We were on this cruise as well, Key West was definitely SOGGY! Glad to hear that you had a great time, we did too.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
the other micki
Mouseketeer

We planned to go on this cruise next spring. It sounds just perfect! But alas, they are leaving Galveston and there will no longer be a cruise just like this one However, I am very happy that you all had a wonderful experience!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Mom23WildBoys
Earning My Ears

This was our first cruise too! Although my boys were pretty bad throughout the trip (seriously, who expects little boys to sit through 1.5 hour dinners???), we all had tons of fun and re-booked our next year's cruise on board! Of course, we'll have to sail out of PC next time, but now we know it'll be worth it.

BTW, our favorite show was the one with Peter Pan and Ann Marie (what was it called?). It was the best Disney show we've ever seen! And I agree that the Magic was just the right size ship. It was really easy to get to know CM's onboard.
Mom23WildBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: