Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #46
mvk
Mouseketeer

General gist of things -

mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #47
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I am afraid that before anything even happens my boy will be too old to appreciate these things, if they ever come about
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #48
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

So you wouldn't enter of of World Drive but more likely Victory Way. Interesting that you would also have room for Carsland too. I do hate to see them get rid of Streets of America. It's nostalgic and could also mean a disapearance of OFSOL for November and December.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #49
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmily1 View Post
So you wouldn't enter of of World Drive but more likely Victory Way. Interesting that you would also have room for Carsland too. I do hate to see them get rid of Streets of America. It's nostalgic and could also mean a disapearance of OFSOL for November and December.
I can't fathom them ditching OFSOL. I only got to witness it for the first time last year, but it was spectacular and popular. The response of my party was "let's come here every year at Christmas".
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #50
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
This would be my future of DHS 'dream' plan -

The area you have marked as Star Wars Expansion and Future Marvel Resort are both consided unsuitable for construction in the RDIC Master Plan. Yes, they could build there if they really wanted to but the preference is not to.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
The area you have marked as Star Wars Expansion and Future Marvel Resort are both consided unsuitable for construction in the RDIC Master Plan. Yes, they could build there if they really wanted to but the preference is not to.
Interesting. Is there much land that is marked as suitable? I would think that the long plan for DHS would require expansion.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #52
Rocketeer53
Earning My Ears

Would is be a Marvel resort? Or would still go against the no Marvel within 250 miles of IOA?

Why not some sort of Star Wars resort with it's own entrance into DHS like they have with Grand Californian and DCA.
Rocketeer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #53
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
If you look at DHS on google maps, there is room to the east of the park, south of the parking lot. They can build a new road around the expansion.

I figure it would also take over Indy Jones Stunt Show, Streets of America, the Muppets area, Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose's, and Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater.
NOOooOoOOOOoooo! Not the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater!
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #54
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I can't see Muppets or Mama Melrose going anywhere.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #55
PinGirl
Mouseketeer

Wow...

Great ideas Everyone!

WDW is a natural for Star Wars Land - it would attract people to Disney who don't even like the parks just to see what is there.

If they had a Star Wars themed DVC it would sell out faster than anything they have ever sold. And the Hotel bar and restaurant would have to be Cantina style with people in costume.

Fun!

2013 - WDW - DCL Galveston Sailing- Planning Surprise
2013 WDW - BWV-7 Nights
2012 WDW NOV-BWV+DCL Fantasy 7 Nights
2010 WDW-BWV - 9 Nights
2009 WDW-Sept BCV/OKW - 10 Nights
2009 WDW-May POR - 9 Nights
2008 WDW-BWV/POR 11 Nights(OCT)-1st Welcome Home Trip!
2007-DL -(JULY)-DLH 2 Nights
PinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #56
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, the Marvel Resort is out of the equation anyway with the contract with Universal, I assume. I think they could/would take the little parcel to expand the park slightly to the east, doesn't seem like too much land taken from what is deemed conservation.

As for Muppets, I think they can move that to another area of the park, maybe to one of the 'studio' buildings behind Pixar Place or the Animation Courtyard.

I don't know what they would do with the OFSOL, I'm sure they can find another place to put it in, maybe as part of Disney Springs or something. Star Wars Galaxy/Land is going to need room, and unfortunately areas that don't produce much in terms of revenue are going to be utilized. To me, that means Indy Jones, Streets of America, and the area surrounding the Muppets 3D.

I guess it is possible that they keep all of that and utilize the area that I marked as future CarsLand solely for Star Wars, and move Star Tours over there, but I'd think they want keep that area available for more expansion in the future, so that maybe once the 'newness' of CarsLand in DCA wears off a bit, it could finally come east.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #57
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Disney should divert all the time, money and attention they're currently spending on Avatarland and spend it on Star Wars land.

...oh wait, That doesn't actually mean much does it

Seriously - id LOVE a Star Wars land but given the speed Disney seems to work at I'll be a pensioner before its finished!
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #58
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Interesting. Is there much land that is marked as suitable? I would think that the long plan for DHS would require expansion.
There is a good sized suitable chunk of land on the other side of World Drive from DHS that could be used. If nothing else they could move parking an support buildings over there to free up expansion space. They could also convert the DHS parking lots into garages which would free up space.

You can see a map of land suitability on page 2B-20 of this document:
http://rcid.org/Portals/0/Documents/...nsive_Plan.pdf

Quote:
Well, the Marvel Resort is out of the equation anyway with the contract with Universal, I assume. I think they could/would take the little parcel to expand the park slightly to the east, doesn't seem like too much land taken from what is deemed conservation.
The contract talks about theme park rights and a "retail concept" that Marvel was conisdering developing but it doesn't really say anything about a themed hotel. I think this could be a grey area in the contract.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #59
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There is a good sized suitable chunk of land on the other side of World Drive from DHS that could be used. If nothing else they could move parking an support buildings over there to free up expansion space. They could also convert the DHS parking lots into garages which would free up space.

You can see a map of land suitability on page 2B-20 of this document:
http://rcid.org/Portals/0/Documents/...nsive_Plan.pdf

The contract talks about theme park rights and a "retail concept" that Marvel was conisdering developing but it doesn't really say anything about a themed hotel. I think this could be a grey area in the contract.
From what you posted in the other thread, I take the part below to mean no resort/hotel -

Quote:
iii. No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).
Though it seems a little confusing with the wording in bold. Does that mean they could build a resort as long as 70% of revenues are derived from lodging and retail sales?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #60
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Though it seems a little confusing with the wording in bold. Does that mean they could build a resort as long as 70% of revenues are derived from lodging and retail sales?
While far from being an expert, I read it as "It can't be a location that makes up to 70% by retail or primarily by lodging". Seems to pretty much exclude a resort (primary resource = lodging).

Would be very difficult to get a resort through that clause without some very funky work by the lawyers.

If, somehow, they could make a location that derived most of the revenue from something other than food, lodging, retail, and gaming...it may work. I can't think of a single example where that'd be the case though. (Marvel Office Building? heh)

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: