Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer
 
Rumors Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 396

Former Disney World employee arrested

Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges. http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_...hy_charges.htm

Quote:
A 49-year-old former Walt Disney World cast member was arrested this week for allegedly downloading child pornography while at work. According to WESH News, Cedric Eugene Cuthbert, also a pastor in Sanford, Florida, worked at the Port Orleans resorts as an evening custodial manager, which is when the supposed illegal downloading took place (one source claims he worked in that capacity for seven years. Disney spokesperson Andrea Finger clarified that Cuthbert is, no longer with the company. There are controls in place that make us aware of activity, and we notified law enforcement." An article on an NBCUniversal community website claims, "Disney has a monitoring system that takes screen captures every three seconds of employee computers. Cuthbert was downloading child porn from the internet, while writing a sermon for Easter Sunday." According to WESH, Cuthbert posted his $12,500 bond and was also ordered not to have contact with any children under the age of 18 (with the exception of his eight and eleven-year-old sons).

Click link for more details.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges. http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_...hy_charges.htm
I am glad they took care of it so fast and properly...............and a Pastor on top!. One sick *******!


AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,339

He worked for Disney for 7 years.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
He worked for Disney for 7 years.
Your point?......they caught him the first time he used the Disney computer and fired him!

Lewisc, as someone who was very concerned that sex offenders on the offender/predator list,that may have only been on the lists due to a teenager encounter or some other minor issue would therefore be unfairly kept out of the parks and Disney property, what would you suggest Disney have done? If at work this guy had not done anything like this before and didn't have any previous record, you would just have Disney fire him earlier for no reason?

As soon as he was discovered he was fired and reported and charged! Just what should have been done.


AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 05-18-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Your point?......they caught him the first time he used the Disney computer and fired him!

Lewisc, as someone who was very concerned that sex offenders on the offender/predator list,that may have only been on the lists due to a teenager encounter or some other minor issue would therefore be unfairly kept out of the parks and Disney property, what would you suggest Disney have done? If at work this guy had not done anything like this before and didn't have any previous record, you would just have Disney fire him earlier for no reason?

As soon as he was discovered he was fired and reported and charged! Just what should have been done.


AKK
My point is whatever background checks, if any, Disney does isn't enough to ensure possible sex offenders aren't hired. My point is parents who assume WDW is safe for young kids, because it's Disney are wrong. My point is 7 years is a long time for a person like that to be around kids.

My point is posters who think Disney can check photo ID from every guest, in order to ensure customers on the sex offenders list can't enter WDW are living in Fantasyland.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
My point is whatever background checks, if any, Disney does isn't enough to ensure possible sex offenders aren't hired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
My point is parents who assume WDW is safe for young kids, because it's Disney are wrong. My point is 7 years is a long time for a person like that to be around kids.

My point is posters who think Disney can check photo ID from every guest, in order to ensure customers on the sex offenders list can't enter WDW are living in Fantasyland.

The red part, I agree 100%. It cannot be done with 20,000-30,00o employees! There will always be some bad apples.

Otherwise;

No one I saw or read ever said 100% of sex offenders or predators would be kept out, the policy was the best now available..........no one said Parents would think they their kids were 100% safe!

We are talking about 1 bad apple, noting the 7 seven years you pointed out, just how would you stop the hiring of 1 bad apple with no record of being a pedophile??

Was the implied point Disney should have known or did something?

Personally, I would have liked to take him back into the swamps and tied him to a tree with a nice juicy beef roast around his neck and let the gators take care of him! However that's knowing what we know now.


AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
theparsons
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 808

Keep in mind too folks, the best background check in the world won't turn up anything if the person hasn't yet been CAUGHT. That's how they are able to work somewhere for years and years and abuse and abuse and until they're caught everyone thinks they are good people. Your neighbor, boss, teacher, best friend, may be looking at this crap (or doing worse) and until they're caught no one realizes that they aren't the person you thought they were. Learned this the hard way about someone I thought was a dear friend. I have also watched another friend go thru heck because of accusations that eventually were dropped for lack of evidence except the word of an ex-girlfriend. But his life was ruined by then.

So.........I hope that in this case it turns out that this guy was working on his Easter sermon and made a mistake to click on a link and it started downloading naughty things......and yes, I want to remain living in Fantasyland!!

Unless of course they found a lot more evidence once they searched his home computer too.

If you think it can't happen to you.....don't ever send goto look at the United States Government website but mistakenly think it's .com. The correct address is whitehouse.gov The other would get you in big trouble. Don't ask me how I know, lol.
theparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
summerw
Mouseketeer
 
summerw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 361

Is there another story that says he's a registered sex offender? This one makes it sounds like it's his first offense. Right now he's just a guy accused of something. How can Disney know what is in people's hearts? And sexual predators are drawn to places like this and schools and playgrounds. I'm glad Disney is being vigilant for us because our kids don't have that kind of protection most times they leave the house. Unfortunately we can never assume they are safe.
__________________
Art of Animation - November 29-December 11, 2012
summerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
theparsons
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 808

Frankly reading this again, is anyone else bothered by the fact that Disney takes a screen shot of an employees computer every 3 seconds???? think how many of you are reading Disboards from work.....think your boss would approve? Big brother is watching at Disney that's for sure.
theparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparsons View Post
Keep in mind too folks, the best background check in the world won't turn up anything if the person hasn't yet been CAUGHT. That's how they are able to work somewhere for years and years and abuse and abuse and until they're caught everyone thinks they are good people. Your neighbor, boss, teacher, best friend, may be looking at this crap (or doing worse) and until they're caught no one realizes that they aren't the person you thought they were. Learned this the hard way about someone I thought was a dear friend. I have also watched another friend go thru heck because of accusations that eventually were dropped for lack of evidence except the word of an ex-girlfriend. But his life was ruined by then.

So.........I hope that in this case it turns out that this guy was working on his Easter sermon and made a mistake to click on a link and it started downloading naughty things......and yes, I want to remain living in Fantasyland!!

Unless of course they found a lot more evidence once they searched his home computer too.

If you think it can't happen to you.....don't ever send goto look at the United States Government website but mistakenly think it's .com. The correct address is whitehouse.gov The other would get you in big trouble. Don't ask me how I know, lol.
Well put with a good lesson Sir!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparsons View Post
Frankly reading this again, is anyone else bothered by the fact that Disney takes a screen shot of an employees computer every 3 seconds???? think how many of you are reading Disboards from work.....think your boss would approve? Big brother is watching at Disney that's for sure.
That's an old story, it has been going on for years with most companies and if I am not mistaken, it has gone though the courts. If its your employers equipment they can monitor anything you do on it.

In my case...........my boss is a SOB.......and I can say it because I am the boss

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerw View Post
Is there another story that says he's a registered sex offender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerw View Post
This one makes it sounds like it's his first offense. Right now he's just a guy accused of something. How can Disney know what is in people's hearts? And sexual predators are drawn to places like this and schools and playgrounds. I'm glad Disney is being vigilant for us because our kids don't have that kind of protection most times they leave the house. Unfortunately we can never assume they are safe.
IF this is true..........Disney has a lot of explaining too!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 19,077

1) Lots being said about this guy and this incident.
2) We need to be aware of a few things.
. . . he was caught by surfing and downloading AT WORK
. . . Disney and other companies have every right to monitor their computers
. . . every employee gets finger printed when hired
. . . once hired, Disney does not know you off-site activities/crimes
. . . when a WDW employee is caught IT IS BIG NEWS IN TOWN
. . . regardless of the crime involved, let alone sex-related
3) Most WDW computers have INTERNET access
. . . on the Concierge Desk, we frequently search for things for guests
. . . we get lots of communications from guests
. . . I get requests (and orders) to override dining to make ressies at sold out eateries
4) Disney monitors computers
. . . with blocking software for known unfriendly sites
. . . scene captures and screening software to look at sites visited
. . . download software for viruses and KEY WORDS of files

NOTE: As the past CEO of two companies, we monitored every computer
for INTERNET and in-house use - whether surfing, downloading or games
playing. It was in the employee manual and on the bulletin board. Almost
any violation of the computer rules could be grounds for termination. And,
we were very serious about enforcement. Not only for sound business,
but for liability reasons.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy
 
eadavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Lots being said about this guy and this incident.
2) We need to be aware of a few things.
. . . he was caught by surfing and downloading AT WORK
. . . Disney and other companies have every right to monitor their computers
. . . every employee gets finger printed when hired
. . . once hired, Disney does not know you off-site activities/crimes
. . . when a WDW employee is caught IT IS BIG NEWS IN TOWN
. . . regardless of the crime involved, let alone sex-related
3) Most WDW computers have INTERNET access
. . . on the Concierge Desk, we frequently search for things for guests
. . . we get lots of communications from guests
. . . I get requests (and orders) to override dining to make ressies at sold out eateries
4) Disney monitors computers
. . . with blocking software for known unfriendly sites
. . . scene captures and screening software to look at sites visited
. . . download software for viruses and KEY WORDS of files

NOTE: As the past CEO of two companies, we monitored every computer
for INTERNET and in-house use - whether surfing, downloading or games
playing. It was in the employee manual and on the bulletin board. Almost
any violation of the computer rules could be grounds for termination. And,
we were very serious about enforcement. Not only for sound business,
but for liability reasons.
WDW employs roughly 65,000 in central Florida alone. Not to mention the some 10,000 contractors and operating participants that work on property too (many of which interact with guests). This volume creates a challenge but they are at least up to date on techniques for weeding out those who are deemed undesirable. Disney's hiring policies are as good as they can be. They do their best to ensure nobody slips through the cracks and to catch those that turn bad. Granted, this is done NOW. Hiring policies and practices are drastically changing with technology. In this instance, where were we in 2006 when this guy was hired, what accesses did we have to prevent bad apples from getting in. Tonka said it best, they can't do anything until they get caught. Managers can profile people to the extent the law allows.

My takeaway form this story, Disney had a bad apple, he got caught, they got rid of him, and he's paying for his crime. As far as me and my humble opinion are concerned, Disney did their job and took care of the situation as best they could.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post
WDW employs roughly 65,000 in central Florida alone. Not to mention the some 10,000 contractors and operating participants that work on property too (many of which interact with guests). This volume creates a challenge but they are at least up to date on techniques for weeding out those who are deemed undesirable. Disney's hiring policies are as good as they can be. They do their best to ensure nobody slips through the cracks and to catch those that turn bad. Granted, this is done NOW. Hiring policies and practices are drastically changing with technology. In this instance, where were we in 2006 when this guy was hired, what accesses did we have to prevent bad apples from getting in. Tonka said it best, they can't do anything until they get caught. Managers can profile people to the extent the law allows.

My takeaway form this story, Disney had a bad apple, he got caught, they got rid of him, and he's paying for his crime. As far as me and my humble opinion are concerned, Disney did their job and took care of the situation as best they could.

you and rusty said it much better then I did....Well done!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: