Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Bete
DIS Veteran

Confused by descriptions for POP Century handicap rooms.

Does anyone know what this room type is:

Preferred Room/Florida Special Accessible Room/Option for Hearing Accessibility/2 Double Beds. I'm confused by the term Florida Special Accessible Room. Would this room type have a roll in shower?

Here's another one:
Preferred Room/Hearing Accessible with Visual Alarms and Notifications/2 Double Beds. Would this room type have a roll in shower?

I want a preferred location with a roll in shower. The only one I see in the room descriptions that states roll in shower is a standard pool view, not a preferred location.

Can anyone explain this better?
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I would call. They still list this on the park disability maps:
For information specific to individual Resorts, please call Walt Disney World Resort Special Reservations at 407-939-7807 [voice]

They had to make some way of describing the accessible rooms with tub bars or other accessibility features so that those could be separated out from the rooms without any features. It seems that 'Florida Special Accessible' is the language they are using to mean that. For the room bookers, I'm sure they know what that means. For anyone just seeing it, the language is pretty vague.

The ones with roll in shower do include that in the description and they also have a photo show where you can actually see the room of that type. The picture descriptions also gave information about the type of bathroom (along with pictures).
Here's some descriptions I copied off the Disney website:

Standard Room. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
View Photos
Views of Resort Hotel
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2

Preferred Room. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed, 1 double bed.
View Photos
Views of Courtyard, Pool or Parking Area
1 King Bed and 1 Double Bed
Sleeps up to 4

You may have to scroll through the whole list of rooms to find what you are looking for. When I searched, they were all mixed together. The ones that were not available had a little bar that said 'not available' in the place the others had a price. It's also possible that in some case, it only shows the ones that are available.
I also had clicked the box for accessible room, so I only got accessible rooms - roll in shower, hearing accessible or Florida Special Accessible.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 05-10-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added number
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post

They had to make some way of describing the accessible rooms with tub bars or other accessibility features so that those could be separated out from the rooms without any features. It seems that 'Florida Special Accessible' is the language they are using to mean that. For the room bookers, I'm sure they know what that means. For anyone just seeing it, the language is pretty vague.
It makes it sound like you have to live in Florida to book it. I'm confused why only some of the accessible rooms say that and some don't. I'm sure it's for anyone, not just FL residents, but I'll bet some people think they can't book because of it.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
disney david
DIS Veteran

I think it just a way for Disney to separate the rooms so you book this room you don't get another type I guess they call it Florida as their in Florida but it just could be easier for them.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

Neither of those room types have a roll-in shower. The Florida handicapped has some modifications to the bathroom like a higher toilet seat and additional grab bars on the tub. The hearing accessible room has a standard bathroom and modifications for the phone and a device that flashes when someone is at the door.

The only room that will have a roll-in shower will say roll-in shower in the description. It may be that the resort you are looking at does not have any of that room type available for the days you want.
1972 Offsite 1985 Offsite 1999 Contemp North Garden Wing 2000 YC Concierge 2001 Disneyland Hotel Concierge 2003 Disney Wonder 2003 POFQ 2004 Dolphin 2005 Disney Magic 2006 PORS/ Disney Wonder 2010 ASMu 2011 ASMu 2012 ASMu 2012 AKL 2012 ASSp 2013 BC 2013 POP
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Bete
DIS Veteran

I ended up calling Disney and the CM confirmed to me the only room available for my dates was a standard room, not preferred for my needs at the POP.

For about $200 more I can do the Caribbean Resort with a preferred location. All Star Movies had a preferred location that would work, too.

When it gets very specific I think it's just better to call for your options.

Thanks for all the replies.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: