Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
brertoad
DIS Veteran

The good thing is that you can try a little of everything, if you don't like it, at least you tried it. You may find some "German" food that you actually like, the Spaetzle and Potato Dumplings are awesome. There is a lot of regular foods to choose from.

I didn't like sauerkraut, but it's something that I have acquired a taste for, I actually do like the smell of it too, when we pass by the German pavilion it smells like pretzel bread, beer, and sauerkraut.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
garjanjones
Mouseketeer

DH loves German food...me not so much. But there is plenty to eat there. With it being a buffet, I just eat what I like. There are plenty of options on the buffet.
garjanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Nanabugs2013
Earning My Ears

We have made res. here and I can wait to try it! I hope it is good!
Nanabugs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

The food is way too heavy for me. Our DS wanted to try it a couple years ago for his birthday meal. He & DH will pretty much eat anything, so they left full. There were a few salads I liked okay. Add a roll & that was all I ate. It's definitely not a place I plan to return to, unless I'm with extended family who really want to try it. My DH & DS will be outvoted, if they try to get me to go again with just the 3 of us. I don't think that's a problem. They did leave full, but neither of them have asked to return. If you're into the mega beer mugs, you may be okay. That much alcohol would make anything taste okay.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Nanabugs2013
Earning My Ears

That's funny! I don't drink but I am looking forward in trying the schnitzel. As long as that is good I will be happy! We will be there for diner at the end of our day so I think will be okay with the full part too. We will see!
Nanabugs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

I don't even know what shnitzel or spatzel is (I'm Italian haha)....just hoping for the best I guess haha. And I will have to ask the chef when he goes through the allergy list with us.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

I am not the biggest fan of german food either...also I am a pescatarian, so I really thought my options would be limited, but boy was I wrong! This was the fullest I felt all trip after leaving Biergarten. I stuffed my face with pretzel bread, salad, fish, soup, spatzel, mac & cheese (from the kids section!), potatoes, and a ton of dessert, especially the cheesecake which was so light, fluffy, and delicious! You won't leave hungry, even if you think you don't like German food. I promise!

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
winnieatepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post
I don't even know what shnitzel or spatzel is (I'm Italian haha)....just hoping for the best I guess haha. And I will have to ask the chef when he goes through the allergy list with us.
Schnitzel looks a lot like chicken-fried steak...it's just a breaded, fried pork cutlet. Spaetzle is German pasta...just plain noodles, usually boiled, but sometimes fried in butter, or with cheese. There is lots of German food that is very "normal" and accessible for a picky or less-adventurous eater...tons of salads, roasts, potatoes, plain desserts like cheesecake and apple strudel (flat apple pie). If there's items you don't recognize on the menus online, just google the name of the food and you'll find lots of pics and recipes that will reassure you. The only thing I would recommend avoiding is Sauerbraten...it looks like roast, but it's pickled and can be a surprise if you're expecting plain roast beef.
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: