Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Location: NJ but born and bred in NYC....still teach there, too!

Split Stays? Yay or Nay?

We got to WDW during Christmas (including Christmas Day). This year our trip is 12.23 to 12.30. We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge (my fave). This year my 6 y/o and my husband want to stay at the Poly. I don't want to abandon my WL! I suggested a split stay as a compromise. My husband is getting upset and keeps informing me we will lose an entire day to changing hotels. Has anyone else done this? Was the experience a positive one? Any feedback you could give would be most welcome!
Daycogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We do it all the time, mostly because we can't choose just one resort. It really isn't that bad if it's something you want to do. The downside is that on moving day you wont have a room between checkout and 3pm (unless you get lucky and your room is ready early). Some people hate switching -- it's really a personal preference kind of thing.

You can either take a taxi from #1 to #2 in the morning and have them hold your bags... or give #1 Bell Services your luggage, ask them to move it to #2, head to a park, then check-in at #2 in the afternoon. Don't expect your luggage until sometime between 3-5pm. We have done both and would do it again.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

You most definitely will not loose a day. We have done a couple of split stays. As the pp mentioned, you can go the taxi route, but we feel we don't lose any park/enjoyment time by doing it the other way. We like to have bell services come get our luggage at resort 1, check out of resort 1, head to a park for the day, head over to resort 2 around 4 or 5, check in, have bell services bring our luggage up to us, freshen up and head to dinner. Easy peasy.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
elaw
DIS Veteran

We do them all the time ... we pack up first thing in the morning, move our own luggage via taxi and check into the new resort. If the rooms not ready, they will text you when it is. It takes us less than an hour and we can usually still make rope drop at most of the parks.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Especially for just one move, I say "yay". You will not lose an entire day, unless your days consist of just sitting in the room. Of course, if that's what DH wants to do, then yes, he'll lose many hours of doing that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
THpoohbear
Mouseketeer

I'm in the minority here, but split stays are not for us. We are not light packers and we are schleping babies around, so for us, it does take most of the day packing up ”camp” and then resetting everything up. I wish we were more efficient, but reality is we are not, so I think we'll try to avoid split stays in the future. I'd ask yourself how long does it usually take you to pack and settle into a room, and that equals about the time you'll ”lose.”
THpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
THpoohbear
Mouseketeer

I'm in the minority here, but split stays are not for us. We are not light packers and we are schleping babies around, so for us, it does take most of the day packing up ”camp” and then resetting everything up. I wish we were more efficient, but reality is we are not, so I think we'll try to avoid split stays in the future. I'd ask yourself how long does it usually take you to pack and settle into a room, and that equals about the time you'll ”lose.”
THpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by THpoohbear View Post
Agreed, and I don't even have kids!

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
kimysbug
DIS Veteran

No way, my life is hectic enough
When I go to WDW, I unpack and "move" into my home away from home.

I find it relaxing, and easier to be in one hotel for length of stay.

We love WL, but Poly is my favorite.

Have fun
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP
2006- Wilderness Lodge-December- MVMCP
2007-Polynessian- 9/27-10/1- MNSSHP 9/28 W/ Momma Bear
2009 -Coranodo Spring-Surprise trip-Graduation trip-May
2011-Wilderness Lodge-December-MVMCP
kimysbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We would not do a split stay. We like to move into a resort and stay there. I would hate having to be without a room in the afternoon.

I feel your pain over not being at your favorite resort. We love the BC but were going to the WL for the first time because we were ready to try something new. Even though we missed the BC we loved the WL, of course, .

If your DH has his heart set on the Poly then it would be a good time to give it a try. A lot of people love it. You can always come back to the WL another time.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycogs View Post
We got to WDW during Christmas (including Christmas Day). This year our trip is 12.23 to 12.30. We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge (my fave). This year my 6 y/o and my husband want to stay at the Poly. I don't want to abandon my WL! I suggested a split stay as a compromise. My husband is getting upset and keeps informing me we will lose an entire day to changing hotels. Has anyone else done this? Was the experience a positive one? Any feedback you could give would be most welcome!
I would not do a split stay with all four of us when kids were younger but dd and I do mom and me trips and do split stays easily.

Since the resorts are close in location I would recommend these options.
1. Plan on going to MK the day of switch. Go to park for your rope drop. Leave at 10:30 or so and take boat back to WL, grab luggage and take taxi to poly. Check in, if room ready great if not, go back to MK with your already acquired fast passes or enjoy Poly.
2. Take luggage to bell services first thing morning and ask for transfer to poly. Go to any park that morning. Take bus when leaving to Poly and then check in. If at MK take boat or monorail.
3. Take taxi to poly first thing, check in leave luggage and take transportation to park of choice.
4. One parent checks in at poly one parent moves the luggage. Example when arrive at MK that morning one parent takes monorail to poly and check in. You would have a good chance of room being ready. Then at 10:30 or so someone can go alone and get luggage and transfer via taxi to poly or just have bell services do it in the morning. Depends if you need your stuff.

I did a split last April and waited until night before to decide. Dd didn't want to take taxi so at 8am we gave luggage to bell services for transfer and took bus from CSR to MK. At 11 or so we left MK and took monorail to poly and checked in. We had our swim stuff in a large purse in case we needed them but our room was ready. Also our suitcases arrived around 2:30.
Hopefully this helps. Enjoy! I love both resorts, I think you will be surprised how much fun swimming and seeing castle at same time really is. And the tiki lights, monorail, etc!
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycogs View Post
I wouldn't do a split stay for 7 nights, but that's just me. We stayed 6 nights in December 2010 and did a 2/4 split and it just wasn't worth it to us. The first 2 nights went by very fast and by the time we were getting settled at the 2nd resort, it was time to pack up and go home. It is very easy to change resorts as Disney will move your luggage, but the week you will be there is the busiest time of the year for Disney so I'm sure the resorts will be very hectic with very little to no chance of your room being ready until later in the afternoon. Good luck deciding, but I wouldn't do a split stay (especially that time of year) unless my trip was at least 10 nights. But FWIW, we have stayed at both the WL and Poly and while we do love the WL, the Poly is our absolute favorite and I think you would have a great time staying there .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I agree with hubby. It is a busy time of year and I doubt your room at the second resort will be ready early so you will lose a day. Why go through all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Weve done split stays all of the time and dont mind them. Again, I think its personal preference. The only downside, as PP mentioned, is that you will be without a room between 11am-3pm on the day you check out of WL (although you may get lucky and your room could be ready at the Poly before 3pm). We usually pack a backpack with some things we might need for the day, incase we need something before were able to get our luggage and our new room!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 11/14- The Grand/AoA
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
AllThingsFigment
Mouseketeer

We've done a split stay before. We split our 2 week trip between 3 resorts. At the time we only had one child and it wasnt a problem switching resorts however now with 3 kids and a lot more stuff we probably won't be planning another split stay for awhile. The only thing we might do is a room only for one night if we decide to come in a day early but chances are we would do it at whichever resort we decide to book for the rest of our vacation.

If it wouldn't be hard for you guys to pack up and move rooms I would go for it as long as you don't mind not having a room between check out and check in.
AllThingsFigment is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: