Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Fantasyland first thing and last thing

DH and I have an 8:05a rezzie at CRT in September. So I'm guessing I'll be done with breakfast around or shortly after park opening. I want to do all the following but am racking my brain on where I should start and what I should save for later at night (I read that Fantasyland gets lighter crowds at night as the families head home). I've marked priority next to them.

-TLM ride (low)
-Ariel's grotto (high)
-ETWB (low - wasn't interested at first but I'm a sucker for technology and want to see Lumiere in person)
-The Barnstormer (medium)
-Pete's Sideshow (high)
-Space Mountain (medium)

I also want to visit the Carousel, Philharmagic, Stitch, and Laugh Factory, but I understand these are lower traffic and I don't want to waste the first hour on rides that don't get busy anyway. I don't plan on riding Splash at all. Any ride that can be found at Disneyland are lower priority than WDW-exclusives.

So...given my prime location at the Castle at opening, should I head to Enchanted Forest, Storybook Circus, or Tomorrowland first? Ariel is my favorite, I'm a self-proclaimed carnie at heart, and Tomorrowland is my favorite land at Disneyland, so it's a tough choice!

I was looking at the times earlier tonight and saw that an hour before closing ETWB and TLM had a 10 minute wait and The Barnstormer was 5 minutes. The characters had gone for the night at 10p (jealous because they don't stay out that late at Disneyland), but I don't know how late they'll be there when the park closes at 10p. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

The new Fantasyland would be my choice. We always scheduled CP before park open and managed to complete Fantasyland just as the crowds were getting high in that area. With the new Fantasyland, I would definitely try to get through the new attractions first. Then I would do the older Fantasyland attractions until crowds were getting high. Then I would head to Storybook Circus. We usually save Tomorrowland for after dinner.

ETA: Most southern schools will be back in session in early Aug (we go back the 6th) so if you go to MK on a weekday, crowds should be much better.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct14 - GF (MNSSHP)

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Jun15 - Yellowstone/Grand Teton Parks
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
sb682
DIS Veteran

If it's just you and DH and there are no kids in your party, I would skip Barnstormer. It's extremely short and not that interesting unless you're in preschool. I'd do the Ariel meet and greet first, then go from there.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
andyman8
DIS Veteran

This is what I generally recommend for one-day morning touring plan for MK.
  • Obtain FASTPASSES for Peter Pan's Flight
  • See Enchanted Tales with Belle
  • Ride Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
  • Use FASTPASS for Peter Pan's Flight
  • Obtain FASTPASS for Space Mountain
  • Ride Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
  • Obtain disconnected FASTPASSES for Dumbo the Flying Elephant and The Barnstormer
  • Ride The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Use FASTPASS for Space Mountain
  • Use FASTPASSES for Dumbo the Flying Elephant and The Barnstormer
  • Obtain FASTPASS for Splash Mountain
  • Ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (reverse last two steps if temperature is below 75 degrees)
  • Lunch at Be Our Guest Restaurant
Now, because it doesn't sound like you want to do all that but want to see Ariel's Grotto. Assuming you exit Cinderella's Royal Table around 9:15am, here's what I would do
  • Meet Ariel at Ariel's Grotto
  • Obtain disconnected ASTPASS for The Barnstormer
  • See Enchanted Tales with Belle (at 10:30am; this is important!)
  • Meet Characters at Pete's Silly Sideshow
  • Use FASTPASS for The Barnstormer
  • See Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
Other attractions can be seen in the afternoon.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

I know you've put it at a low priority, but I would do ETWB first, avoiding grabbing a FP. Just head straight to it. It has very limited capacity. Most of the queue is in the open and don't think I saw any fans out there. I'd hate to wait in that line in the sun. ETWB, Ariel and LM are all right by each other so you can get them boxed off easily first thing in the morning.
Pete's Silly Sideshow and Ariels grotto normally ranges from 20-40 minutes from what I've seen. Sideshow and Barnstormer are right by each other.
Once you've done them, go round the back of barnstormer for a shortcut to Space Mountain
bauer1168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168 View Post
I know you've put it at a low priority, but I would do ETWB first, avoiding grabbing a FP. Just head straight to it. It has very limited capacity. Most of the queue is in the open and don't think I saw any fans out there. I'd hate to wait in that line in the sun. ETWB, Ariel and LM are all right by each other so you can get them boxed off easily first thing in the morning.
Pete's Silly Sideshow and Ariels grotto normally ranges from 20-40 minutes from what I've seen. Sideshow and Barnstormer are right by each other.
Once you've done them, go round the back of barnstormer for a shortcut to Space Mountain
Yeah, that's generally a goos idea, but the problem seems to be that the OP is dining at CRT in the morning (a great breakfast I should say) and that means she'll be riding her first ride at 9:15am at least (probably closer to 9:30am). By that point, she's better off waiting until the 10:30am turnaround (at this point, all of the RD crowd has left but the rest of the park goers have not arrived. It's an interesting little "hiccup" in wait times that has recently been discovered!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb682 View Post
If it's just you and DH and there are no kids in your party, I would skip Barnstormer. It's extremely short and not that interesting unless you're in preschool. I'd do the Ariel meet and greet first, then go from there.
It looks similar to Gadget's Go Coaster at Disneyland, so I wanted to fit it in because I love Goofy and carnivals. Maybe it's more of a low, but if there's not much of a wait I'd want to go on it, because the GGC is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Now, because it doesn't sound like you want to do all that but want to see Ariel's Grotto. Assuming you exit Cinderella's Royal Table around 9:15am, here's what I would do
  • Obtain disconnected FASTPASS for The Barnstormer
Other attractions can be seen in the afternoon.
What would the wait be around that time? DH has agreed to CRT, Ariel, and Pete, but anything else in Fantasyland would have to be a short wait for me to talk him into it. I'll have to give up the B&B stage show at DHS for ETWB, but that's okay because we've seen a local theater (or maybe it was a college) production of it around here. I love the story but DH isn't in to musicals so ETWB would be a good compromise. I'll be back in the evening for Philharmagic (is that normally always a short wait?) and PCRC (or I'll just take a picture of/with that 1917 classic wood beauty in the morning).

Did you remove Buzz from the second only because I didn't mention it? Would it still fit after SM FP? I could miss it since we have it at Disneyland, but I love it and we usually end our day with running back on it several times in the last half hour before close.

To cut down on criss-crossing, how far out would be FP return time be if I got it after EF & SC? Like if I did this:
  • Visit Carousel of Progress

Also what is the wait time for UTS:JOTLM first thing in the morning? Still pretty light? At DCA I just walked on on a Sunday afternoon in July, so I don't really want to wait for this one, but I do want to see the castle, and I never got a chance to take a pic with mermaid Ariel when she had a grotto at Disneyland.

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded, and I have to learn how to write shorter posts!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post

Yeah, that's generally a goos idea, but the problem seems to be that the OP is dining at CRT in the morning (a great breakfast I should say) and that means she'll be riding her first ride at 9:15am at least (probably closer to 9:30am). By that point, she's better off waiting until the 10:30am turnaround (at this point, all of the RD crowd has left but the rest of the park goers have not arrived. It's an interesting little "hiccup" in wait times that has recently been discovered!
Good point about the ADR, forgot about that! I'm sure I've read on here before people have said you can ask for the bill when you're first seated to save waiting for an available cm at the end to bring over your bill which could save on time too.
bauer1168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168 View Post
Good point about the ADR, forgot about that! I'm sure I've read on here before people have said you can ask for the bill when you're first seated to save waiting for an available cm at the end to bring over your bill which could save on time too.
It's prepaid including tip, is there still something I'd have to sign aftewards? I'd imagine they could just give me the receipt when I arrive and all I'd have to wait for are my photos. I'm not leaving until I see everyone though.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielSparrow View Post
It's prepaid including tip, is there still something I'd have to sign aftewards? I'd imagine they could just give me the receipt when I arrive and all I'd have to wait for are my photos. I'm not leaving until I see everyone though.
No, but your waiter or waitress will come up to your table, look at a bill, and just confirm that you prepaid. Also, remember that the characters do take time to come around. Generally, it's hard to be out of there in any less than 60 minutes after your ADR time (remember, you've also got to meet Cinderella in the morning). Have an awesome time; we've got two teens and it's still one of our favorite breakfasts on property!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

In January we had 8:05am at CRT and the park opened at 9:00am. We went directly to CRT and checked in. We were the first family there, DD5 was Princess of the Day and opened CRT. We were seated at special table where all princesses went to first as they entered the room. We finished before 9:00am and we were downstairs at the rope behind the castle across from the carousel waiting to enter Fantasyland at rope drop. By about 10:30 we had done all the things in Fantasyland we wanted to do.
PrincessCooper's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCooper's Mom View Post
In January we had 8:05am at CRT and the park opened at 9:00am. We went directly to CRT and checked in. We were the first family there, DD5 was Princess of the Day and opened CRT. We were seated at special table where all princesses went to first as they entered the room. We finished before 9:00am and we were downstairs at the rope behind the castle across from the carousel waiting to enter Fantasyland at rope drop. By about 10:30 we had done all the things in Fantasyland we wanted to do.
That's fantastic! Sounds like a good table, but I'm hoping for the two-seater by the window. What time did you check in?

(PS this is my 100th post - woohoo!)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

Not sure what time we checked in but got there early and was probably within first 5 families back in line to get in when they started letting guest in the gate.

But we were on a mission. I had heard about first child getting to be Princess of the Day. So we did not stop and look aroung or take any pictures. We went straight there as soon as we got in the gate. n.
PrincessCooper's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Tentative MK morning Itinerary

Well, looks like Space Mountain is going to be refurbed on the day I'll be there so I think I'll work my way through EF & SC and then head to Frontierland and hit up Tomorrowland later. Although I really want to take that back path from SC so I may still visit there 3rd, but at least there's no rush for SM FP to worry about.
  • See Stitch's Great Escape
  • Visit Carousel of Progress
  • Ride PeopleMover

Then over to Main St for SMK and work our way around clockwise, ending with old Fantasyland and ETWB if I missed it in the morning. With Jungle Cruise down and Indy nonexistent, I think we'll have time to explore all the unique attractions and the smaller details we normally miss at Disneyland.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

We went straight to Belle in May and already was quite a wait. We have found the best time to go is after Wishes at 10.. when the park is open until 11! I am not sure this would work for you however we have done it twice with no wait!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: