Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

Any grills at the value resorts?

We're planning a two week trip for five and we get tired of eating out (at least with kids ) pretty quick, so we're planning on some in-room breakfasts and picnics, and it occurred to me that a little family grill out would be a great change of pace. Does anyone know if any of the value resorts have picnic tables and grills available for guests to use?

Since we're driving down, we could probably pack a tabletop grill if we get very committed to this idea, but in that case I'd want to know that any picnic table type areas were set up at a nice distance from the hotels. I wouldn't want to bother anyone with smoke and the smell of lighter fluid.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntePrincess View Post
We're planning a two week trip for five and we get tired of eating out (at least with kids ) pretty quick, so we're planning on some in-room breakfasts and picnics, and it occurred to me that a little family grill out would be a great change of pace. Does anyone know if any of the value resorts have picnic tables and grills available for guests to use?

Since we're driving down, we could probably pack a tabletop grill if we get very committed to this idea, but in that case I'd want to know that any picnic table type areas were set up at a nice distance from the hotels. I wouldn't want to bother anyone with smoke and the smell of lighter fluid.
I can't think of any place with "authorized" grills except Fort Wilderness Cabins and that is considered moderate. Value resorts don't have them and I don't think a personal grill would go over very well even if at a distance from the resort. There is just too much vegetation, cars, and people to do that safely. Plus - where would you eat? The safest place would be in a parking lot and that wouldn't be comfortable.

Since you are driving, I'd go more with cold picnic ideas like ham and cheese sandwiches with a quick run out to a grocery store. Or, you can get fried chicken or something for the evening. Get some potato salad or cole slaw, some chips and dip. Something like that.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone know if any of the value resorts have picnic tables and grills available for guests to use?
Country Fair at All-Star Music does have picnic tables,but I don't "recall" seeing any grills.
http://allears.net/acc/asmu/asmu042011a40.jpg
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I can't think of any place with "authorized" grills except Fort Wilderness Cabins and that is considered moderate. Value resorts don't have them and I don't think a personal grill would go over very well even if at a distance from the resort. There is just too much vegetation, cars, and people to do that safely. Plus - where would you eat? The safest place would be in a parking lot and that wouldn't be comfortable.
Naturally, I was looking for a spot with picnic tables which would solve the where to eat question, too. I suppose I could always call ahead to be doubly sure, but I thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
Country Fair at All-Star Music does have picnic tables,but I don't "recall" seeing any grills.
http://allears.net/acc/asmu/asmu042011a40.jpg
That looks promising, and they have family suites. It looks like a tabletop grill would work nicely there.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:

That looks promising, and they have family suites. It looks like a tabletop grill would work nicely there.
You may want to call and ask if they will have a problem with you using a grill. I've never seen it, and I can't believe no one has thought of it before. I'm guessing they are not allowed, but definitely call and check. You don't want to pack something that you can't use.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Tink415
DIS Veteran

As a pp said there are grills at FW cabins, and there are grills at dvc resorts. But value resorts aren't setup for grilling outside. I think bringing a portable tabletop charcoal grill and using lighter fluid would be way more trouble than its worth. But if you're going to have a car how about looking for a park some where close by ..just an idea!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
OrlandoUnited
Mouseketeer

Will you people leave this person alone and just let them burn down whichever Value Resort they choose?
OrlandoUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Epcotgal
Mouseketeer

Disnut8 is right. A cold picnic should be fine but I highly doubt that they will allow any type of grill at a value resort. The cabins at Ft. Wilderness are set up with them though.
Epcotgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

It's no big deal, I'm not committed to a grill out, just not familiar with the value resorts since the last time I stayed on property was over a decade ago in a moderate. Looking at the resort maps they do seem awfully crowded and not particularly flush with bus stops either... might have to drive more than we'd planned.

Thanks for the help!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: