Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #1771
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
NM- you crack me up!

Teena- they told me he had to appear in an area that "looked" like Tortuga or something similar in order to book him. I said, "what's better than a beach with a shipwreck?" Instead they wanted to do a ballroom with some props!!!!! I said, "no." I probably would have booked him for my son's graduation party if I could have done it out on the beach. My son graduated from East Carolina, home of the pirates and who better than the ultimate pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow!
Go ECU Pirates!!! Aargh!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #1772
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:

Pirates? Was Capt. Jack a part of it? Please tell me no because I tried to book him on the beach a couple of years ago and they said he couldn't be "outdoors".
I did not see him. Just regular pirates no particular characters.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #1773
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
3 weeks from today!!!!

One more full week of work (and school) and then some serious Disssing!

Still a littler nervous about just using TIW (no DDP) although my head knows it's way better for us now that the kids are "Disney adults". I just have to keep DH from looking at the right side of the menu!

PittPathFan - hope you are having a magical time. What DTD hotel did you stay in? We always stay at Buena Vista Palace - was wondering how the others were.
yay for end of school!! We started to do TIW too, and started making our TS meals for lunch. At least with the restaurants that have a cheaper lunch menu. It's been working for us. That and loading a GC with what it would cost for getting DDP. Don't have to worry about carrying $ around. We pay for meal & tip with GC.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 06-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #1774
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Just landed in Atlanta!!!

The hotel screw up was in Baton Rouge!!

Weird thing is they didn't even check in with my address, she asked if I lived in Washington!!!

After manager came out she gets us a room and get thus...... Doesn't even ask me to give her My address, or a credit card to put on file!!! Just hands us a room key. One if the workers went to knock on the door of the "fake ocalla" and there was someone in there but they wouldn't open the door!!! So I'm not sure how they handled getting then to pay for there room ( mine was pre paid)
That is really scary. I'd be phoning the police. And watching my CC for charges. Was this a popular hotel chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Hello Beachers and Yachters! I've just finalized my arrangements for our August trip, woo-hoo! I don't know how some of you can plan your trips so far in advance - I can plan to go in August, but can't focus enough on the details until a couple of months out. I'd originally booked a bounce-back for late August with free dining, then the school system here had to go and change the schedule on me, so the kids are back to school a week earlier than usual. I canceled and booked with the summer room-only discount, but BC wasn't available so we were at BWI. Then I needed to adjust our dates, so had her check and got BC for $7 less/night!

Sooooo, I'll be at BC with my two teens Aug 1 - 8, our first time at this resort. Booked our airfare with awesome Southwest points - and we've got enough left over for another trip! Previous trips I reserved a bunch of dining, because I'm a DIS-er, and that's what we do, only to spend too much time canceling reservations during the trip. We just can't operate that way, and since we have lots of favorite Counter Service spots, we're mostly going to wing it. I did reserve Yak & Yet (that's for me, I love this place!), Sci Fi Dine-In (the kids always want to go here and it's tough to get a walk up), and Wishes Dessert Party on the 7th. Really excited about that as I love desserts and I love Wishes! Really I'll have to exist mostly on alcohol, cupcakes, and ice cream, if I want to have all the treats on my list.

So here's an important question: anyone had the sangria at the Boardwalk Pizza walk up window? I love a good sangria, and I read on one dining report that theirs was good. I'd love to hear other opinions.

My son has been home for a couple of days now with a mystery fever, and my nurse mom is concerned about Lyme's, which is rampant around here. So I'm off to try and get a 16YO to let me look him over, wish me luck!
Congrats on getting BC, and for $7 less!!
Well thanks now you've just added another thing to my must try drink list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyz Ondewalz View Post
You'll never guess who I flew into at Disney's Hollywood Studios! Well maybe you will .......

I spotted Ninja Mom in line to meet Leia Minnie and Jedi Mickey. Of course I went right over to her and gave her a kiss. She did not look too happy but I followed her back to PORT and as soon as she opens that door I'm flying in the room so we can play set the fly all over again.

Let me tell you she is a barrel of monkeys. Just watching her chase me around the room yelling something about her shoe is a real belly laugh. She'll never catch me I can tell you that. Those boys of hers have just plain worn her Out! I can peep through the blinds and see that she is sleeping. She is some kind of light weight! I hope she can keep up with me and Nan for our up coming trip!

Signed, your friendly spy, Buzzy the Fly!
good job Buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette View Post
I'm beginning to be worried....

~N
Be afraid, be very afraid
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #1775
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Oh I'll guess!!! Buzzy you are just a little too friendly on a hot sticky day like today! I see you outside the window and I am NOT letting you in that's for sure so you can stop knocking!!!

So we made it down yesterday, surprisingly with no problems despite the storm. We Landed at 4:45 nice and smooth with no turbulence. We checked in at POR and got all room requests, i.e. ground floor near pool. We are in Magnolia Terrace and the resort is just wonderful. Immediately after check in I grabbed one of the boys and hopped in a cab for a trip to Walmart (3250 vineland rd, Kissimmee).

It was about 20 dollars heading out with tip and the same back. Definitely use Mears cabs as the gypsy cabs will jack up the rates on you. I had the Mears number programmed in my phone and I called as soon as we were done paying for our items. The cab came to pick us up at Walmart in 10 minutes so I recommend this for people staying at the BC/YC/BCV

This Walmart was great! They had all the usual Walmart goods and a great Grocery and liquor selection. Mind you the liquor is not as extensive as a full fledged liquor store, but for the lushes on this list it will do nicely!
The thing I liked about shopping at Walmart is that they don't jack up the prices like the closer supermarkets do, plus they had the other things that one forgets like sandals and the perennial missing bathing suit. I just loved hearing on the plane "Mom, you put that bathing suit that was in the laundry room in the carry on.... right???" Um no dear, you're just going to have to skinny dip for your pool time!!

We got pool noodles, which I chased son #3 around the Walmart with and we beat each other senseless. Yes, we are "those" people in Walmart, you know the ones who play with the toys in the toy section and have sword fights with the nerf swords. That's what you get when you are the Mom of three boys...

Time was tight so we sent the rest of the family over to the Riverside Roost at POR at 7:30 to get a table for Yee Haa Bob while we were at the Walmart.

We made it back to POR in time, ordered appetizers for dinner and we really enjoyed Bob's show!! That man is EXHAUSTING!!! Love it!!! If you ever get the chance definitely check out his show. He was great with the kids for his early show. His later show is more geared toward adults.

We hit the hay and we were at Hollywood Studios at 7:30 for park opening. I got in line to see Chewie while the guys went on Star Tours. Then we posed with Chip and Dale and then we scored big time when we timed it perfectly and scored a picture of the FAB 4 in their Disney costumes (*Jedi Mickey, Leia Minnie, Storm Trooper Donald and Darth Goofy).

We then took the guys to the "Maul" so they could spend their $$ and headed back to the resort for a rest. We'll see if Buzzy leaves and then we'll be able to get back out to the parks for some more fun tonight.

At this time of year, with the heat and humidity, you definitely want to adopt that early morning park touring, mid day break, night time park touring plan.

For those coming down to Florida, the weather is now clear with the coastal breezes bringing on the traditional afternoon pop up thunderstorm. These thunderstorms are highly localized so you probably won't get hit with them. But IF you listen to the weather forecast, they always tell you the rain apocalypse is upon you. My best advice to you is to stop worrying about the weather and just know that you will still have a great trip, even if you find yourself "sharing" it with Buzzy the Fly!!

~NM
That's our fav location, the one we always request, Magnolia Terrace or Acadian house next to the quiet pool. And oh so close to old man island bridge!
Now what's the official POR drink? Mudslide?

May have to try that Walmart, but still have to make the Publix stop for my beloved Indian River OJ. It's not Florida till I have it!! That and their Key Lime pie, yum.

Try not to be too hard on that fly

Old 06-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #1776
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catho72 View Post
I'm out of vodka too. Wish I could book a cruise but Mr. Catho72 might notice that I'm gone for longer than the 15 minutes it takes to get to Costco (my regular liquor store).

Speaking of Costco and liquor.....has anyone else gotten sweeped up in the phenomenon known at Rumchata? Yum! They should sell Rumchata shots in Mexico at Epcot. Or a Rumchata slushie! :drink:

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Rumchata? yet another drink to put on my list! I think I'll be lucky if I find my way back to the room

Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1777
PittPantherfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
3 weeks from today!!!!

PittPathFan - hope you are having a magical time. What DTD hotel did you stay in? We always stay at Buena Vista Palace - was wondering how the others were.
We couldn't get into the palace. We stayed at Wyndham LBV. It was the closest hotel to DTD. It was good 4 one night but I couldn't help but thinking that I was glad we were not doing the whole vacation there. it was clean. The building is older but it seems that it was remodeled. Bed was super comfy. Nice pool for he night. I did a tower room based on TA reviews. $124 for everything- included resort fee (basically an Internet fee but you had no choice in paying it) and self parking, tax. It met our needs 4 one night.

Thanks 4 the suggestion of staying in the DTD area!

2003 Cocoa Beach/2006 Marriott Horizons-Harbour Lake/2007 Marriott Cypress Harbour/2009 Sheraton Vistana Villages
May 2011 Beach Club CL/June 2013 Beach Club CL

SADLY NO TICKER- No return trip planned yet
Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #1778
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGdancermom View Post

Go ECU Pirates!!! Aargh!
You would have loved our "Once a pirate, always a pirate" Illuminations party we had. Everything was themed to ECU and pirates. Disney did the usual great job! We loved it. They also did a custom pirate in room celebration. This was before they had the one that is available on line. Sometimes I wonder if that's where they got the idea from! Lol!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #1779
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
Private party tonight on the beach at the Beach Club!!! Minnie, Mickey, pirates and fireworks! I'll try to post pictures later, but amazing and I don't want to know the price of this party! But thanks for the wonderful fireworks from our room!
I do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
Ninja Mom rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
Rumchata is a cream liqueur with rum in it

Quote:
As HubbDave said, Rumchata is a cream based, rice-water (horchata) flavored drink with rum. Think Bailey's Irish Cream but Mexican. It's delicious! Served cold as a shot, pour some in coffee or hot chocolate or cook with it....Rumchata cupcakes are especially tasty. So are Rumchata pudding shots....think Jell-O shots, but pudding and Rumchata.

Sounds like rum cream I had in Jamaica. I loved adding it to cold coffee to make a delicious iced coffee. Mmmmm.

That pudding shot thing sounds pretty darn good, too!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #1780
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Now what's the official POR drink? Mudslide?
YES on the Mudslide!!! This is my favorite drink anywhere and they happen to make them the best there!!

Hope you are feeling better today!!

~N

Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #1781
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryCM View Post
My 180 days was yesterday for our BC CL stay in December, and I got all my ADRs. My daughter-in-law and daughter also got theirs. My granddaughters are so excited, but my daughter has not told her sons yet that we are going!!

We leave Sunday for Disneyland with my daughter and her family for my oldest grandson's birthday. We are staying club level at the Disneyland hotel. I am looking forward to the experience and surprising Zachary with the club level. I have been told I have spoiled my grandchildren by on;y staying on club levels with them!!
Have a great time at Disneyland!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Hello Beachers and Yachters! I've just finalized my arrangements for our August trip, woo-hoo! I don't know how some of you can plan your trips so far in advance - I can plan to go in August, but can't focus enough on the details until a couple of months out. I'd originally booked a bounce-back for late August with free dining, then the school system here had to go and change the schedule on me, so the kids are back to school a week earlier than usual. I canceled and booked with the summer room-only discount, but BC wasn't available so we were at BWI. Then I needed to adjust our dates, so had her check and got BC for $7 less/night!

Sooooo, I'll be at BC with my two teens Aug 1 - 8, our first time at this resort. Booked our airfare with awesome Southwest points - and we've got enough left over for another trip! Previous trips I reserved a bunch of dining, because I'm a DIS-er, and that's what we do, only to spend too much time canceling reservations during the trip. We just can't operate that way, and since we have lots of favorite Counter Service spots, we're mostly going to wing it. I did reserve Yak & Yet (that's for me, I love this place!), Sci Fi Dine-In (the kids always want to go here and it's tough to get a walk up), and Wishes Dessert Party on the 7th. Really excited about that as I love desserts and I love Wishes! Really I'll have to exist mostly on alcohol, cupcakes, and ice cream, if I want to have all the treats on my list.

So here's an important question: anyone had the sangria at the Boardwalk Pizza walk up window? I love a good sangria, and I read on one dining report that theirs was good. I'd love to hear other opinions.

My son has been home for a couple of days now with a mystery fever, and my nurse mom is concerned about Lyme's, which is rampant around here. So I'm off to try and get a 16YO to let me look him over, wish me luck!
I don't have you on the Be Our Guest list, so I will add and you

My boys insisted on a meal at Sci-Fi, too!

Don't know about the sangria at BW, but a few days ago someone was raving about how good the sangria at Via Napoli is, but I don't think that is avail "to go"

Good luck with your son's fever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by em36 View Post
We have arrived at our Downtown Disney Hotel for the night. We will check into the YC tomorrow morning. We enjoyed dinner at the House of Blues and then did some shopping at Basin and World of Disney.

This trip was a complete surprise for our daughters (ages 14 and 9). They thought we were going to the Keys after 1 night at DTD. As we drove through the Disney sign, we let them in on the surprise. They screamed, cried, and thanked us over and over. It was great!

Thanks to this board for all of the great tips and advice. I will check in as the week continues. We will be at the YC until June 15.
Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpymom73 View Post
Hi everyone

This is my first time posting on this board. You all seem like a great group.

After several changes we will be staying for the first time at the YC June 13 -17. It was a very last minute trip as we only booked 2 days ago. I've been reading all the great info on this board and I've learned a bunch. We have stayed at the BC in the past and loved it, so I hope we also fall in love with the YC.

I just have a few questions maybe you all can help me with....

1- They only had standard view avail. Are there any requests I should make for room location? Do you suggest online check in?

2- Is there anywhere to get chicken nuggets? My DS14 is a pretty picky eater. I saw them listed on the kid's menu at Hurricane Hanna's but he will KILL me if I get him a meal in a bucket! Do you think it's possible to ask for an adult portion of them? Or at least ask them not to put it in the kid's bucket?

That's all the questions I have for now. TIA
Feel free to pass along any other tips!

A room close to the lobby might be good. I think doing the advanced checkin is fine- should save you a little bit of time when you get there if they already have all of your info.

You certainly can ask for an adult portion of chicken nuggets. They will give you the kids meal without the pail, but there have been mixed experiences about whether you will be charged less, but I think you should be prepared to pay the full price for the kids meal, or more if you get an adult portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
Please add us the the Be Our Guest list!!

Just secured a reservation for a 1BR villa at BCV for October 23-30th. DH, DS9 and DD7 and I have been to the World many times, but this will be our first stay at Beach Club - can't wait!! We'll be taking advantage of the kids' club while we're there, at least once, so that DH and I can have our own fun at Food & Wine. We'll also be doing MNSSHP - haven't decided on costumes, yet. Pirates last year - it was fun, but we want to do something new this year. We're open to suggestions!!

Looking forward to reading through the entire thread and getting to know all of you better!

I will happily add you to the list.

Have fun reading and please let us know if you have any questions.

Quote:
NM- you crack me up!

Teena- they told me he had to appear in an area that "looked" like Tortuga or something similar in order to book him. I said, "what's better than a beach with a shipwreck?" Instead they wanted to do a ballroom with some props!!!!! I said, "no." I probably would have booked him for my son's graduation party if I could have done it out on the beach. My son graduated from East Carolina, home of the pirates and who better than the ultimate pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow!
Your party sounds awesome!!!

I loved your response to the party planners who wouldn't let you book Capt Sparrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Now it's time for weather and traffic!

~NM
GREAT report!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1782
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You would have loved our "Once a pirate, always a pirate" Illuminations party we had. Everything was themed to ECU and pirates. Disney did the usual great job! We loved it. They also did a custom pirate in room celebration. This was before they had the one that is available on line. Sometimes I wonder if that's where they got the idea from! Lol!!!
I always thought they got the idea from you!

We have a "pirate" assocation too. Ds graduated from Seton Hall University and Seton Hall Law School - go pirates. Of course he has an abnormal amount of pirate t-shirts. I swear I think they get a t-shirt for everything when they go to college!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #1783
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

As HubbDave said, Rumchata is a cream based, rice-water (horchata) flavored drink with rum. Think Bailey's Irish Cream but Mexican. It's delicious! Served cold as a shot, pour some in coffee or hot chocolate or cook with it....Rumchata cupcakes are especially tasty. So are Rumchata pudding shots....think Jell-O shots, but pudding and Rumchata.

Rumchata baked goods.... Sounds good to me as do the pudding shots

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #1784
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPantherfan View Post
We couldn't get into the palace. We stayed at Wyndham LBV. It was the closest hotel to DTD. It was good 4 one night but I couldn't help but thinking that I was glad we were not doing the whole vacation there. it was clean. The building is older but it seems that it was remodeled. Bed was super comfy. Nice pool for he night. I did a tower room based on TA reviews. $124 for everything- included resort fee (basically an Internet fee but you had no choice in paying it) and self parking, tax. It met our needs 4 one night.

Thanks 4 the suggestion of staying in the DTD area!
Have a magical trip!
We're right behind you - 3 more weeks!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #1785
Flyz Ondewalz
Mouseketeer

I've been looking all over the place for Ninja Mom. If anyone sees her be sure to let me know! If I don't find her I think I'll head over to the lobby and keep Teena company. She might be lonely and have no one to talk to.....

Your pal, Buzzy the friend to the lonely
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: