Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #301
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
So pages and pages of posters going on about the terrible scenarios of evil HR making the OP meet with the doctor and that was never the case. HR was actually doing what HR departments do and gathering information, they didn't know the doctor talked to the OP, and gave reasonable advice for going forward.

Gee where is al the drama for everyone in that.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #302
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargoLori

This...what occurred was a hit and run which is a felony. She sould be arrested. If I were to guess there is a bigger reason she did not want to report.
The doctor has legal issues right now but I doubt very much she's going to be charged with a felony. A traffic violation, certainly, maybe a misdemeanor. But no one got hurt, the only harm was property damage.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #303
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post

The doctor has legal issues right now but I doubt very much she's going to be charged with a felony. A traffic violation, certainly, maybe a misdemeanor. But no one got hurt, the only harm was property damage.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
It was a ht and run, not sure what would happen where the OP lives, but here there would be a court case and possible jail time.

As for the comments of the OP getting fired for speaking about this issue. I really doubt HR could be that dumb. This would open up a wrongful termination case from the OP. She would have every right to sue.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #304
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
It was a ht and run, not sure what would happen where the OP lives, but here there would be a court case and possible jail time.

As for the comments of the OP getting fired for speaking about this issue. I really doubt HR could be that dumb. This would open up a wrongful termination case from the OP. She would have every right to sue.
Again, don't know where the OP lives, but in New York it would not be a court case or involve jail time. It would be a traffic infraction. (It's a misdemeanor if there is personal injury.) Although I recognize that other states vary, I assume NY is not the only one with this approach.

Good luck OP. Now is the kind of time when my grandmother's advice comes in handy: "Keep a smile on your face and keep your mouth shut."
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #305
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I also doubt there will be a court case. It was private property, there were no injuries and assuming that the doctor cooperates with insurance to indemnity the OP. Maybe a ticket. The courts have more serious cases taking up their time. If it would have been on road, she didn't stop to check if there were injuries and just took off, that would be a different case.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #306
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post

I also doubt the OP would actually be fired if she talks to her fellow employees about the matter, but it is a disciplinary issue. HR has every reason to warn her against talking about the matter, and she could be disciplined for insubordination.

As for the hit and run...in most jurisdictions the penalty for a "hit and run" situation varies depending on the severity of the damage. for property damage it's either treated as a traffic violation or a misdemeanor. And it's the type of situation where most prosecutors are very willing to resolve the matter without a misdemeanor conviction if the damage to the other vehicle is paid for.

That is, if the prosecutor chooses to pursue the matter in the first place.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #307
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Thanks for the update....

I does sound like HR is handling more appropriately.
And, yes, I do feel it is reasonable to ask an employee to refrain from talking any more than absolutely necessary about an incident that could have some further serious repercussions.

Okay, OP, you can sit back and take three deep breaths now!!!
Have your husband help you with any issues with insurance coverage.
(do consider getting a bigger vehicle....)

Sorry this has all happened!!!!!
It will all work out okay in the end!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #308
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
So pages and pages of posters going on about the terrible scenarios of evil HR making the OP meet with the doctor and that was never the case. HR was actually doing what HR departments do and gathering information, they didn't know the doctor talked to the OP, and gave reasonable advice for going forward.

Gee where is al the drama for everyone in that.

The OP'er stated that she was going in to have a meeting between herself, HR, and the doctor. I stand by my statement: In no way, shape, or form would I agree to a meeting with the doctor. If HR wanted to talk to me (which turned out to be the case) no problem. But I would never consider meeting with the doctor who ruined my vehicle, only checked on her own vehicle, didn't report it, and then waited for me in the parking lot and badgered me. The lawyer on this thread insisted mediation was a good thing. I couldn't disagree more and I am glad to see that HR did not feel mediation between the two parties was necessary. HR, the insurance company, and the police all need to do their job and unless this goes to court, the OP'er does not need to sit with the doctor under any circumstances.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #309
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

The OP'er stated that she was going in to have a meeting between herself, HR, and the doctor. I stand by my statement: In no way, shape, or form would I agree to a meeting with the doctor. If HR wanted to talk to me (which turned out to be the case) no problem. But I would never consider meeting with the doctor who ruined my vehicle, only checked on her own vehicle, didn't report it, and then waited for me in the parking lot and badgered me. The lawyer on this thread insisted mediation was a good thing. I couldn't disagree more and I am glad to see that HR did not feel mediation between the two parties was necessary. HR, the insurance company, and the police all need to do their job and unless this goes to court, the OP'er does not need to sit with the doctor under any circumstances.
You're basing your entire opinion on something that the OP stated and she was wrong. There was no meeting with the Dr.

I suspect that the OP has misunderstood/misinterpreted other things that were said by HR as well.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #310
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
You're basing your entire opinion on something that the OP stated and she was wrong. There was no meeting with the Dr.

I suspect that the OP has misunderstood/misinterpreted other things that were said by HR as well.
Well of course I was! So were you and everyone else who was posting. There were two sides in this debate; those who felt like meeting with the doctor was fine and those who felt it was a bad idea. There was never a side that said, "You totally misunderstood the phone call and there is no way they are having you meet with the doctor." The OP'er misunderstood and admits that. No biggie. We all do that from time to time. But I will continue to stick to the side that says the OP'er should not have any contact with the doctor and there is zero need for mediation.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #311
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post

I also doubt the OP would actually be fired if she talks to her fellow employees about the matter, but it is a disciplinary issue. HR has every reason to warn her against talking about the matter, and she could be disciplined for insubordination.

As for the hit and run...in most jurisdictions the penalty for a "hit and run" situation varies depending on the severity of the damage. for property damage it's either treated as a traffic violation or a misdemeanor. And it's the type of situation where most prosecutors are very willing to resolve the matter without a misdemeanor conviction if the damage to the other vehicle is paid for.

That is, if the prosecutor chooses to pursue the matter in the first place.
Exactly, in my state it's a second degree misdemeanor and she would be offered pre-trial diversion, wherein she would have to take a driving class and maybe some community service. Leaving the scene of an accident where no person was injured is not consisted a "victim" crime, because the crime is leaving the scene, not committing an act on a person. The owner of the damaged car would be a witness if it went to trial, but they would not be consulted as to the plea.

Last edited by chobie; 05-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #312
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

Well of course I was! So were you and everyone else who was posting. There were two sides in this debate; those who felt like meeting with the doctor was fine and those who felt it was a bad idea. There was never a side that said, "You totally misunderstood the phone call and there is no way they are having you meet with the doctor." The OP'er misunderstood and admits that. No biggie. We all do that from time to time. But I will continue to stick to the side that says the OP'er should not have any contact with the doctor and there is zero need for mediation.
I agree there is no need for mediation but I also never thought it was going to happen.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #313
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Exactly, in my state it's a second degree misdemeanor and she would be offered pre-trial diversion, wherein she would have to take a driving class and maybe some community service. Leaving the scene of an accident where no person was injured is not consisted a "victim" crime, because the crime is leaving the scene, not committing an act on a person. The owner of the damaged cat would be a witness if it went to trial, but they would not be consulted as to the plea.
Wait, a cat got hurt?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #314
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Wait, a cat got hurt?
iPhone...autocorrect is not my friend.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #315
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
iPhone...autocorrect is not my friend.
Pretty awesome auto correct though!