Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #256
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

OP you've gotten a lot of good advice here, I hope this all works out in your favor. I'm just totally dumbfounded that someone - a doctor no less who you'd think would have morals & compassion - could hit your car that badly & drive off without reporting it! What the heck is this world coming to? My God people just do the right thing! It seems simple to me that if you damage someone else's property you fess up immediately & take care of it. Isn't that a basic life lesson? Tell the truth, do the right thing, take care of your responsibilities.

I just don't get people anymore.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #257
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post

Why not? As long as my landlord, my grocer, my cable company, etc. also work for free.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
I wasn't being serious.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #258
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Contingency fee arrangement only apply to tort cases. Like when you sustain a bodily injury as a result of a car accident. If you want a lawyer to sit in on a meeting with HR "just because" you're going to pay the hourly rate.

That's what I meant, they would not work on a contingency in this case, she would have to pay. The post I quoted said you don't have to sue to get a lawyer. If you don't sue, then you are going to have to pay. It's hard to get a lawyer to accept a contingency case. My brother broke his ankle on an icy sidewalk and took a long time to find a lawyer to take it. One did but they took 40% (of $100,000).
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #259
Lanshark
Peace be still
Congratulations on your flower bloomin thingy

There was a third car in the accident also. They too must be involved because their car was damaged when the OP's car was pushed into it. Was the owner of that car called into the meeting?

It was a car accident. Noone was hurt. The doctor is a jerk. It doesn't matter if it was a doctor or a janitor. It doesn't matter if she's driving a Bentley or a Dodge. She is a jerk for not leaving a note.

Turn the situation over to your insurance, tell them there is a video of the accident and move on. What can you gain by perseverating on the situation but added stress ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by Lanshark; 05-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #260
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not a matter of ethics at all. The courts of each state have set rules governing contingency fee agreements. In some states a 40% fee is permitted.

Our state simply states the client must sign a contract which stipulates the percentage. So, here, yes, it is a matter of ethics.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #261
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaLisa View Post
Which states? I can't pore through the 50 state laws on hit-and-run, but I don't know why the law would differentiate between private property and public roads. Maybe it wouldn't be a traffic violation, but a driver's negligence that results in thousands of dollars worth of damage to another person's property becomes a criminal matter when the person drives away from the scene to avoid taking responsibility for their negligence.

Hit and Run Laws in California
Leaving the scene of an accident is considered hit and run in California. This accident can involve another car, an unattended vehicle, another person, a pedestrian, an animal, any private or governmental property, such as a mail box or parking meter, and so on. Even if you were not at fault, leaving the scene of accident without providing necessary information to the other parties, or providing help to the injured in case of an injury, is considered hit and run.

California hit and run charges can be either misdemeanor or felony. Leaving the scene of an accident resulting in property damage is considered misdemeanors. For California hit and run misdemeanor there will be points on the driving record and fines to pay. It may sometimes even involve jail time. You should also reimburse the other party for all the damages occurred.

I just haven't seen anything that says you can hit and run on private property and it's not a misdemeanor criminal offense.
California, unless the local government and property owner have reached an agreement to allow California Vehicle Code to apply on the property, and THEN the property owner must prominently posted. Now, you DO have to report, in writing, within 10 days, any such collision, private or public property, to DMV.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/idt_accidents.htm
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/sr/sr1.pdf
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #262
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

Op. what did hr want?

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #263
dbrn
Mouseketeer

I'll probably get jumped on for saying this, but the tone of this thread is reminiscent of the pregnant lady with cheating husband escaping to Canada thread to me. Some of this story just doesn't ring true to me, but it sure has stirred up quite a lively conversation! Hope I'm off-base on this one.
dbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #264
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrn View Post
I'll probably get jumped on for saying this, but the tone of this thread is reminiscent of the pregnant lady with cheating husband escaping to Canada thread to me. Some of this story just doesn't ring true to me, but it sure has stirred up quite a lively conversation! Hope I'm off-base on this one.
Except its a regular poster posting under their own name. Story seems believable enough to me.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #265
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
California, unless the local government and property owner have reached an agreement to allow California Vehicle Code to apply on the property, and THEN the property owner must prominently posted. Now, you DO have to report, in writing, within 10 days, any such collision, private or public property, to DMV.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/idt_accidents.htm
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/sr/sr1.pdf
I still don't see any differentiation between public and private property. In the report to which you linked, it says "California law requires traffic accidents on a California street/highway or private property to be reported to the DMV within 10 days if there was an injury, death or property damage in excess of $750."

And this section of code says:

20002. (a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to any property, including vehicles, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that will not impede traffic or otherwise jeopardize the safety of other motorists. Moving the vehicle in accordance with this subdivision does not affect the question of fault. The driver shall also immediately do either of the following:

(1) Locate and notify the owner or person in charge of that property of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle involved and, upon locating the driver of any other vehicle involved or the owner or person in charge of any damaged property, upon being requested, present his or her driver's license, and vehicle registration, to the other driver, property owner, or person in charge of that property. The information presented shall include the current residence address of the driver and of the registered owner. If the registered owner of an involved vehicle is present at the scene, he or she shall also, upon request, present his or her driver's license information, if available, or other valid identification to the other involved parties.

(2) Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police department of the city wherein the collision occurred or, if the collision occurred in unincorporated territory, the local headquarters of the Department of the California Highway Patrol.

(b) Any person who parks a vehicle which, prior to the vehicle again being driven, becomes a runaway vehicle and is involved in an accident resulting in damage to any property, attended or unattended, shall comply with the requirements of this section relating to notification and reporting and shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable to the penalties of this section for failure to comply with the requirements.

(c) Any person failing to comply with all the requirements of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d10/vc20002.htm
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #266
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
You're not alone, my BS-meter was going off, mostly about the post of HR leaving a voice mail requesting the lunch meeting. First off, most HR depts would not leave that in a voice mail. Second, it seems off to me that HR would WANT the 2 parties together. Usually they would speak to each party independently and only together if BOTH parties were requesting such a meeting with HR. Like you, I hope I am wrong and apologize to the OP if I am. I think it is the pregnancy similarity that reminds you/me of the previous hoaxter. If it is true, it is pretty ridiculous really....her car was hit, damage was done, insurance handles it, end of story. No way it should be getting this complicated. I also wonder why the 3rd party hasn't been mentioned (as another poster mentioned) in any of this info? Why would the Dr only be interacting with OP since her insurance would be covering 2 vehicles? I know the OP orig posted about the possibility of over-reacting due to hormones, so that certainly seemed like a normal type of reaction or post..but as it went on, I don't know. Thw whole thing is just sad whether true or not.
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #267
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Off topic: was that a scammer? I remember those posts but did t keep following and then was off the DIS for a number of months.

...return to your regularly scheduled debates....
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #268
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Off topic: was that a scammer? I remember those posts but did t keep following and then was off the DIS for a number of months.

...return to your regularly scheduled debates....
yep...it was all a scam.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #269
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

The OP has an awful lot of posts, more than the average scammer. And her HR dept doesn't sound like the most competent, since they just flubbed her health insurance last month. I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #270
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
The OP has an awful lot of posts, more than the average scammer. And her HR dept doesn't sound like the most competent, since they just flubbed her health insurance last month. I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt.
I am hoping that I am just cynical on all this, I really am. I think it is the similarity of being pg like the other poster that is making some of us pause...well, that and the fact that HR is operating in such a way

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: