Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Where to find 16 gauge trap load shotgun shells?

DS loves to shoot clays with his wonderful grandpa! GP has an old 16 gauge shotgun and DS would like to get a box of target weight shells for him for father's day. Where, oh WHERE can I find a box? I've checked Cabela's, Dick's, eBay, google search.... a whole lot of nothing. Does anyone know any secret hidey hole where I can find these shells?

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Midway USA? Give it a shot; they tend to carry a better variety than Cabelas and the like.
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Have you tried in online or just in-store?
Walmart?
An actual gun shop should have a good variety of ammo, and a 16 gauge isn't a super popular caliber that is going to be flying off the shelves the way that say, .357 or .223 is.
Do you have a local shooting range?

For the future, get to know the folks at your Outdoors/ gun shop. Know what day the ammo comes in and is in stock. You might have to wait awhile at opening to get what you want, but at least you'll get it.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

Cabelas maybe a good bet, try contacting a local trap or skeet range they may have some or know where to go.
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Gumbo4x4

Also, if trap loads can't be located, try light field loads.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Gumbo4x4

Looks like MidwayUSA is pretty well cleaned out, but accepting back orders on some 16 gauge stuff.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

Ammo is just in short supply right now. The only stuff available locally tends to be the less popular caliber's. Have you looked on Gunbroker's website? You might find something there.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
It'sWDW4me
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Thanks for the help everyone. Don't know why I didn't think of putting this out on the DIS sooner. You guys rock!

I'm completely ignorant with guns & ammo. This clay/target shooting is a thing completely between DS and Pappy. I'm just trying to enable their bonding time so please indulge me another question: what the heck is the difference between #6 shot; #6 long range; #7-1/2, etc? DS says he thinks Pappy likes to use #6 for trap. Midway has a #6 Remington $8.59/25 shells (out of stock, no backorder) but they also have a #6 "Express Long Range" $16.49/25 and it's in stock. #7-1/2 is out of stock but available for backorder. Should I go with the long range (albeit a little pricey); wait for #7-1/2 to come through on backorder; or hope that #6 eventually comes back in stock/backorder?

WDW Commando Member #120

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Don't know why I didn't think of putting this out on the DIS sooner. You guys rock!

I'm completely ignorant with guns & ammo. This clay/target shooting is a thing completely between DS and Pappy. I'm just trying to enable their bonding time so please indulge me another question: what the heck is the difference between #6 shot; #6 long range; #7-1/2, etc? DS says he thinks Pappy likes to use #6 for trap. Midway has a #6 Remington $8.59/25 shells (out of stock, no backorder) but they also have a #6 "Express Long Range" $16.49/25 and it's in stock. #7-1/2 is out of stock but available for backorder. Should I go with the long range (albeit a little pricey); wait for #7-1/2 to come through on backorder; or hope that #6 eventually comes back in stock/backorder?
DH shoots duck with #6 - he says he uses 7 1/2 or 8's for shooting trap. The long range loads are not for shooting trap - they are for shooting game. The higher the number the smaller the "shot" that is in the shell. So you have a better chance of hitting the clays with a higher number - throwing more lead at it... so to speak.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
tasha99
DIS Veteran

I think ammo is just selling as fast as they can make it now. My old neighbor (just moved) sold guns and ammo out of his apartment, and he moved his inventory as fast as he got it.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Gumbo4x4

The long range shells are for hunting, as PP mentioned. They can be used for clay birds, but they are expensive and they produce more recoil. So, they aren't real pleasant to shoot over and over like you do when shooting clay pigeons.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I think ammo is just selling as fast as they can make it now. My old neighbor (just moved) sold guns and ammo out of his apartment, and he moved his inventory as fast as he got it.
Yup, I was in Cabelas a few weeks ago and their handgun counter was almost completely empty. Ammo picked over too. Priced a pistol at my local shop. Guy said he could order it, but couldn't even estimate when it might arrive. The one he had on order for himself had been ordered 5 months prior and still wasn't there.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
tOSU
Mouseketeer

Handgun/rifle ammo is difficult to find. 16ga is not a very popular size, so having it in stock locally will be difficult.

You could also try http://www.natchezss.com/ or http://www.cheaperthandirt.com Check the shipping charges!!
tOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
It'sWDW4me
HOLD THE PHONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
The long range shells are for hunting, as PP mentioned. They can be used for clay birds, but they are expensive and they produce more recoil. So, they aren't real pleasant to shoot over and over like you do when shooting clay pigeons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarfoxinWA View Post
DH shoots duck with #6 - he says he uses 7 1/2 or 8's for shooting trap. The long range loads are not for shooting trap - they are for shooting game. The higher the number the smaller the "shot" that is in the shell. So you have a better chance of hitting the clays with a higher number - throwing more lead at it... so to speak.

Thank you both so very much for your help and knowledge!! I'll put a few boxes of 7-1/2 on backorder. They won't be in on time for FD, of course, but we can tell him that we found a source at least. Once they come in, they'll hold DS & Pappy for a few visits to the range.

And a proud mama memo as an aside - DS is up to doubles on clays and hits almost every one. And hunting... last spring, he got a gobbler! Pappy was (and still is) just beaming with pride - DS called it in himself and got it right in the throat.

WDW Commando Member #120

Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Gumbo4x4

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: