Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

1st visit before or after HP expansion?

We've been tentatively planning a trip that would include our kids' first Universal visit for the first week of April 2014. It's our spring break but far enough from Easter to avoid the very worst crowds. We were just going to Islands of Adventure for one day after a little WDW and the Disney water parks. My very petite DD who has read all seven HP books twice, is finally 48 inches and is dreaming of riding FJ and wandering the streets of Hogsmead. My other children are not rollercoaster riders and are more interested in Dr Suess and WDW. We are debating staying at a US hotel for two nights to get early entry and front of the line passes so DD could have a more relaxed HP experience, but I don't know if we'll do that because it would be SO much more expensive than staying longer in our rental condo.

We had also talked about visiting in late August, but April would be much more convenient for DH's work schedule and he dislikes the heat. Will we regret just missing the opening of the HP expansion? Or would first-time visitors be better off enjoying the existing HP world and the rest of IoA without the crazy HP crowds that will probably still be there in August if the expansion opens in June or July? We go to Florida every two to three years, so we would have a chance to see the expansion eventually. Opinions?
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Honestly I would go now and then wait awhile till after the expansion is done.IF it is anything like the original opening it will be swarmed for a long time.I say this though we are going this summer and back again December 2014..LOL
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
glocon
DIS Veteran

Do you get a fall break? I think that is when we will go back, to see new HP and for HHN.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocon View Post
Do you get a fall break? I think that is when we will go back, to see new HP and for HHN.
Only Thanksgiving weekend, which I imagine is very busy, plus airfare is much more expensive. School starts after Labor Day for us and we get very few days off during the year. We've had them miss school in the past, but the oldest would miss too much now.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Honestly I would go now and then wait awhile till after the expansion is done.IF it is anything like the original opening it will be swarmed for a long time.I say this though we are going this summer and back again December 2014..LOL
That's exactly what I would do too.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

I would go in April 2014 to enjoy the parks and then return in 2015 to enjoy the new HPland. If you DD really wants to ride FJ, then I say go. Depending on when in April, the lines may not be that bad, and even if not staying onsite, getting there before rope drop will help with the crowds.

Check the website and look for reports here about April 2013. That should give you a good idea of crowds. If the Express Pass price is less than about $50 for the day you are going, Universal is not thinking crowds. If the parks close at 7 or 8pm, then Universal is not thinking crowds either (unless an event is happening to close the parks early).

I too really like the parks and would take every chance I had to visit, as there always will be rides that are down or not yet built. As when you go, even Disney will not have all their new rides or areas done.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
CPanther95
Mummyketeer

I stopped trying to time visits with new ride openings. You need to plan trips so far in advance that there's no guarantees that opening dates won't slip anyway. Last year, I just missed the Despicable Me opening, but now that means I'll get at least one new ride this year.l

If it were their "last" trip, I might think differently. But since it's their first trip, there's plenty to see and do now - and the HP expansion will just make their next trip even more significant.
CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
I would go in April 2014 to enjoy the parks and then return in 2015 to enjoy the new HPland. If you DD really wants to ride FJ, then I say go. Depending on when in April, the lines may not be that bad, and even if not staying onsite, getting there before rope drop will help with the crowds.

Check the website and look for reports here about April 2013. That should give you a good idea of crowds. If the Express Pass price is less than about $50 for the day you are going, Universal is not thinking crowds. If the parks close at 7 or 8pm, then Universal is not thinking crowds either (unless an event is happening to close the parks early).

I too really like the parks and would take every chance I had to visit, as there always will be rides that are down or not yet built. As when you go, even Disney will not have all their new rides or areas done.
Thanks for everyone's advice.

It's the first week of April and Easter is April 20, so I'm hoping the crowds won't be terrible, but I'll have to see what Universal predicts when the dates get closer. We're WDW rope drop veterans, so we'll be there well before opening time.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
hermionesnape
Mouseketeer

I have been to both Disney and US the week of Thanksgiving before and honestly it was pretty much a ghost town on actual Turkey day. The first week in April will most likely be crowed as almost all of the public schools in my area and most I know about have spring break during either the last week of March or first two weeks of April If you are far away or don't have the extra cash to come back again the next year I would wait until either the November break 2014 or April spring break 2015. As a avid potter fan I think it would be worth the wait.

Last edited by hermionesnape; 05-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.
hermionesnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Since you're planning just a short visit now, go before the expansion opens. Once you guys see how you like it, plan for a longer stay where you can really do justice to the two parks, and can stay onsite, etc. And if the trips look like they are going to fall inside the same 365 day period, think about upgrading to an AP to save on admission for the second trip.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
vleeth
I heart Disney

We're planning our first WWOHP trip this September. I'm glad we are going before the new stuff opens. We can have a wonderful time at this "new" place with low crowds and then in a couple of years head back and have a wonderful time at another "new" place with 'lower than crazy" crowds.
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
moviefreak78
Earning My Ears

I visited WWoHP back in September after it opened. It was awesome on Wednesday and Thursday, but by Friday, it was slammed! We wanted to get back on the rides, but it just wasn't worth it. I think during the week it was much calmer after just opening a few months prior because of school but the weekend was still crazy because it was new.

I would enjoy your time this April and then plan another trip in two years or so. By then, the crowds will have died down.

Crossing my fingers for a Thanksgiving trip this year!
moviefreak78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: