Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Tink289
Earning My Ears

Smile A suggestion on a good resort for Grandparents

I am hopefully taking my grandparents & my aunt to wdw next year. I am trying to find a resort that is easy to get around & has good accommodations for my grandmother who cannot get on high beds. both due to her height & legs giving her alot of pain! Due to the layout i was thinking of the all stars or pop century resort. but i would like others ideas or opinions! thanks
Tink289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

how much do you want to spend?

BLT - 1-bedroom has a chair bed - plus you can walk or monorail to the MK

you can walk on the skywalk to CR for gift shops, restaurants or quick service

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

My inlaws are coming this year (ages 75 and 80). We are staying at AKV. I made a request to be close to the lobby. I figured if they need to stay at the resort to rest for awhile, it is a beautiful place to do that. They can sit on the balcony and watch animals.

For less expensive accomodations, I would choose POFQ. The resort is small and there is access to the boats for going to DTD.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Port Orleans French Quarter. One of the smaller resorts, very well themed adn quaint, I think your grandparents would love it. The river, grounds, theming, food court are all very nice.

If your grandma does not have her own scooter, I highly suggest you rent one from an offsite company. They will deliver it to your resort and that way she'll have it for the resort, going to DTD and getting from the bus to the parks. We did this for my father in law and it worked out wonderfully. A few years later we went with my aunt and she didn't want to do that and she ended up messing up her knee (she has a lot of leg and leg pain problems) early in the trip and it really ruined it for her even though All Star Music gave us a wheelchair to use. The scooter would have been a godsend!

We did All Star Music with her and she didn't really care for it at all. Had we done French Quarter and a scooter rental, our trip would have been much better!

We used Randy's Mobility, you can find that number and many other companies and info over on the DisAbilities board.

Good luck and have fun with your planning!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would suggest POFQ too. It's the smallest wdw resort, no location is too far, but we loved bldg 4. Nice theming, very pretty resort. It has a boat to DTD too. Much more resort like, then the loud and very busy value resorts. I think your aunt and grandparents would enjoy the theming more. I know we do.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Allies mom
Mouseketeer

My parents are retired and stay at Pop and love it! It's Disney so wherever you stay it will be amazing
Allies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I would say POFQ because of its size.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink289 View Post
I am hopefully taking my grandparents & my aunt to wdw next year. I am trying to find a resort that is easy to get around & has good accommodations for my grandmother who cannot get on high beds. both due to her height & legs giving her alot of pain! Due to the layout i was thinking of the all stars or pop century resort. but i would like others ideas or opinions! thanks
You can request a wheelchair accessible room, the bed is lower, the bathroom has a roll in type shower instead of tub, and the toilet has a hand rail.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Tink289
Earning My Ears

thanks!

Thanks you guys! Thank you AmyandDan for letting me know about the randys mobility service. i will definitely be checking them out! I am up for any other suggestions or ideas by the way (completely off subject) is anyone going to the meet & greet in indianapolis for the dis ?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
kimysbug
DIS Veteran

We took my mom and at the time she was recovering from being very I'll. She used a wheelchair.
We stayed at the poly, and it was perfect.
It was a handicap room.
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP
2006- Wilderness Lodge-December- MVMCP
2007-Polynessian- 9/27-10/1- MNSSHP 9/28 W/ Momma Bear
2009 -Coranodo Spring-Surprise trip-Graduation trip-May
2011-Wilderness Lodge-December-MVMCP
kimysbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Tink289
Earning My Ears

riverside or french quarter ?

which, in your opinion, is better for handicap accessibility to everything (i.e. food court, buses, etc.) ?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

My inlaws get a 1BR ground floor near hospitality at OKW. They love it and my MIL has bad knees. They can hop on over to the hospitality house and get on any bus to any park. They can also take the boat to Downtown Disney. You would need to rent points from an OKW owner (or David's) and book as close to 11 months out as possible (the villas near the HH book up early).

My family of 5 stayed in a 2BR (ground floor) with MIL and FIL for Xmas 2011. It was nice. MIL and FIL had the master and had no issues with the bed. My girls stayed in the 2nd BR with DH and I...DS slept on the pull-out sofa. The bus stop was practically right in front of our building (#14). From 6am-ish to 11pm-ish we could hear the buses from the 2nd BR (not from the master), but it wasn't a problem because we pretty much hit the hay around 11pm and were up around 7am (and my teen DDs could sleep through it...as could DH actually).

Last edited by lovin'fl; 05-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

If you are going Deluxe, I would say AKL or WL. Everything is inside so no long outdoor walks in a possible rainstorm and you could request a lobby level room so that no elevator or steps are involved.

DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink289 View Post
which, in your opinion, is better for handicap accessibility to everything (i.e. food court, buses, etc.) ?
Both resorts have handicapped accessible rooms in all room categories. All public areas at both resorts are fully handicap accessible. The same can be said of all of the resorts. Besides being required by law (ADA regulations), Disney is one of the most handicapped-friendly places on earth, IMO.

That being said, I've stayed at both resorts and prefer POFQ. The small size and the layout of the roads and sidewalks make wheelchair use a breeze. I had some difficulty managing the bridges at POR by myself, and found the ramp up to the food court to be a little strenuous as well. Not terribly difficult, mind you. But POFQ was easier for me.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: