Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #31
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Yes, absolutely at age ten. It's a nice, relatively enclosed area with plenty of seating, and there's a merchandise cart with a CM right nearby. Make sure he understands whatever ground rules you have (no wandering off, etc). If he has a phone, so much the better. I think it'd be a great opportunity for him to learn a bit of independence.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #32
Mama-san
DIS Veteran

You know your son so do what you think is best. Have you asked him if would have an issue with waiting outside?

I personally would not have a problem allowing my DS (now 11) to do this, provided the posted wait time was under 20 minutes and he had a cell phone. At the HM, I would probably recommend that he go over to the shooting arcade to kill the time. I know his maturity level and I feel that he could handle himself appropriately if an issue arose. I definitely would not do it if my DS was not comfortable with the situation. My DS would probably be into it.

Good luck!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #33
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

i would let my 9 and ten year old do that, no problem. They've been going single rider on Indiana Jones since they turned 7, so I assume i could trust them tro wait if they didn't want to go on a particular ride. Heck, if they could pull out the ipod or Kindle, they would probably not even know we were gone.

You can't plan your life around fears of a terrorist attack. An asteroid could fall while you are in the bathroom. A crocosaurus could come out of the seven seas lagoon and grab you right off of the ferry. I mean, as long as we are planning for contingencies that are probably never going to happen.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #34
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Personally, no, I would not leave my 10 year old (daughter, in my case) while I went on a ride. I know she would absolutely follow my directions, but I would still rather skip the ride than worry about her safety. I would be concerned that in the event that the ride broke down( as we all know they sometimes do), those 10 minutes could be much longer. I've been to WDW enough times that there's no one ride that's THAT important to me. If she and her sister or brother both skipped the ride, it would be a different matter, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving her alone for that length of time.

Then again, I'm the same mom who refuses to put in for the Senior trip to WDW because I won't go to Disney World without my kids. I couldn't enjoy it without them.

But to each his own-- go with your own comfort level (and, more important, that of your son.) Each of us has our own style of parenting that works best for our families. And there's no right or wrong answer here, just a matter of personal comfort levels.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 05-09-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #35
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Yes I would. My son was 10 on our last trip and waited for us on several attractions that he didn't want to ride. You will not be able to utilize child swap since I'm assuming your 10 year old meets all of the height requirements.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #36
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

It depends on the kid but probably. Get him a snack and cellphone and tell him to stay put.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #37
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

This will be our 1st time @ WDW & I'm trying to think up every scenerio (going as a single parent). I do have a very mature almost 10 yr old. I also have twin boys 13. While I would allow a my 13 & 10 hang out together and wait, I would not let them wait alone. This is not because of a safety issue, more so I don't want them to feel bored just hanging out waiting for me to ride a ride. But, this is just my own opinion
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #38
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Yes we have done it before and would do it again.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #39
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama-san View Post
You know your son so do what you think is best. Have you asked him if would have an issue with waiting outside?

I personally would not have a problem allowing my DS (now 11) to do this, provided the posted wait time was under 20 minutes and he had a cell phone. At the HM, I would probably recommend that he go over to the shooting arcade to kill the time. I know his maturity level and I feel that he could handle himself appropriately if an issue arose. I definitely would not do it if my DS was not comfortable with the situation. My DS would probably be into it.

Good luck!
That is what I was thinking too! If you feel he is mature enough to handle being alone for the time it takes your to ride HM, give him a bit of money and have him play in the shooting arcade. That should keep him occupied for the 30 minutes or so it will take you to ride. There is seating in that area too, so if he gets bored tell him he is to park it and not move from that area.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #40
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
I know in this day and age we have to ultra-careful with our children but I was just wondering if anyone has ever or would consider letting their child wait outside a ride for them. My son will be 10 years old and he does not like haunted mansion (scares him). I won't force him on it but am wondering if I could leave him right outside the ride on a bench to wait for us. He is very mature and would never leave or go with anyone but I would probably be nervous the whole time I am in the ride. Any thoughts?
YAYYYYYY,, a parent that WONT force a kid on a ride. Way to go. Kudos to you
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #41
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
It depends on the kid but probably. Get him a snack and cellphone and tell him to stay put.
Yep, been there done that and that's what I did. My daughter is now 22 and when she was 11 she didn't like Tower of Terror or Rock n Roll Roller coaster and would wait for us. She's 22 now...so obviously she somehow managed to survive being alone for a few minutes.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #42
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

I would, we're taking my 13 year old sister to Disney in December with us and I've told her that if she doesn't want to ride something that's fine but if it's one that DH and I love we're still going to ride it and she can wait in the gift shop(every ride that we would do this on has fastpass so we would be gone 20 minutes max unless the ride broke down). I would have done the same with her at 10 because I know I could and still can trust her to stay where I put her. Also, in your situation with other kids I think you can prevent a lot of fighting by taking your other two kids to ride something that your son won't. If they have to miss a ride that they like because of him it could lead to resentment which could turn into arguments which are no fun on vacation. I think as long as the line isn't long and you can trust him to stay put he'll be fine.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #43
Nina1
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
Personally, not ever. But only you know your child. It would make me far too nervous to have my child out of sight in such a busy place.
100% agree with this.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #44
Guyton dis lover
Mouseketeer

Never

You go to WDW for your kids. Let the older children ride and you sit it out or find sometihng else to do while the older ones ride.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #45
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

I would not be able to enjoy the ride at all, so I would neverconsider doing that.

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: