Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

No. I would have at least one person stay with him. When I was 9 and 12 I was too chicken to ride SM, but the rest of my family wanted to ride. When I was 9 I went out the chicken exit, once I got lost because the chicken exit does/did not exit in the same area. Panic for me, I had no idea on where to go, who to ask for help, etc. Panic for my family as they didn't realize and didn't know where to find me or what happened. Not all rides are like this, but just something to consider. When I was 12, it was just a lonely, long wait on a park bench (no FP though) - what kid wants that at Disney?

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
You will get a lot of opinions about this, many of which will be from people who wouldn't let their 18-year-old wait alone for them, much less their 10-year-old.

My response is that you know your child. Will your child wander off and/or get anxious by himself? Or will he stay planted on the bench and enjoy his momentary independence? As for me...mine would stay planted on the bench and I would definitely leave them for the length of a ride by age 10. But part of that might be because of my world view - i.e. I vehemently disagree that we have to be any more careful with our children in this day and age than people have had to be in every other day and age.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not trying to attack anyone . I am just really surprised by your response. Because we are talking about a huge amusement park, it is kind of scary to me that a 10 year old would be left alone that long in such a big place. The line for HM takes a long time to get through 20+ min and the ride itself adds more time.

My concern would not be whether the child would be anxious or wander off, my concern would be about the pedophile or sick individual that knows how to manipulate situations like that. I think we all know about the 60 min. special which showed parents, who thought their children knew stranger danger, how easily they were seduced by a stranger to go with them. The average child's mind at that age does not have the capacity to understand adult manipulation.

While it may seem a remote possibility, there are far too many examples of children being kidnapped on a daily basis, that I can't imagine how it is worth taking a risk. Think of all those mothers, who let their child out of their sight for just a moment. I could see a 12 or 13yr old but not that young. Again this is just my opinion. I am in no way saying that I am right.
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
jasonflk
Earning My Ears

I would be happy to leave my child if it wasn't too long however I love the idea of the kid using the chicken out option and then shopping in the gift shop, lots of kids will wander from their parents in a shop and any "bad" person won't know if a parent is near by or not.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
molliewalks
Mouseketeer

My son (12) is scared of some of the rides
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
molliewalks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliewalks View Post
My son (12) is scared of some of the rides
Oops!! My son is scared of some of the rides, we will take him through the line and let him out at the 'chicken exit' to go into the gift shop. He knows he isn't allowed out of the gift shop and we are usually there within a few minutes. The only problem we've ever gad is the amount if things he wants to buy by the time we get out.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #21
MrsHull88
Earning My Ears

My son has just turned 10, he is now allowed to stay in a car alone when we go into walmart or the grocery store. If he goes into walmart with us sometimes he will take a book and ask if he can sit on the benches outside the restrooms or outside of the pharmacy which is fine too. You know your child best and if he is happy to just sit and read a Disney book or look thru a Disney brochure then I would let him wait it out.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
mcbj
I want to work at WDW

I vote no.

8/76 - Offsite
5/85 - Offsite
5/87 - Offsite
8/94 - Swan
6/97 - Grosvenor (First trip with DH)
4/99 - CS
9/03 - WL (DS B's First Trip)
12/05 - WL (DD J's First Trip)
3/07 - Non Disney Orlando Trip
10/08 - GF (My 40th Birthday Trip)
10/11 - POR (A Grand Gathering)
6/14 - CBR
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
lovedworld
Mouseketeer

I would never leave a 10 year old alone at a theme park.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
bizeemom4
DIS Veteran

No way on Earth. What happens if the ride breaks down and you can't communicate to your child? Could he wait for an hour alone? I could not enjoy the ride at all out if sight of my 10 y.o.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #25
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't let my 10 year old sit outside the Haunted Mansion. The ride is a longer one, I am not sure where the chicken exit is. You go directly into the stretching room from the line. I think you should have your husband come to the Magic Kingdom. Perhaps it would be better if he stayed at the resort on the day you visit a different park.

If you were to share with your son how Disney creates the different effects in the Haunted Mansion would that help alleviate his fears? I think there is a website explaining the back story and all of the effects.

Planning our next trip...
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #26
Mama Mouse
DIS Veteran

I would not let my 10 year old wait alone at a theme park for that long, no. There are just so many variables-wait time, what if he needs to use the bathroom, what if he gets thirsty or overheated, what about predators (of the human kind), what if the ride breaks down and you're stuck on it, etc. Too many what ifs.

That said, if your husband is on the trip, there's no reason your 10 year old should have to or that you should have to make that decision. I realize he wants to relax-we all do-but when it gets in the way of your kids' good time and, potentially, safety, I believe he loses the option to spend days alone in the room worry free. Just my thought, although I'm sure there could be extenuating circumstances that require him to have downtime. If not, though, I think Dad needs to get up and get to the parks and do his job. Jmho.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
Chief Powhatan
Mouseketeer

My DD is 9 and I would not do it. No ride at Disney is worth that risk.

Fort Wilderness - 2014,2013,2012,2011,2010,2007,2006,2005
All Star Sports - 2001
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
2009CAN
Mouseketeer

NO WAY. No ride is worth the gamble. If my child were 15, then I'd probably do it. At 10, not a chance.
There are too many things that could go wrong. What if the unthinkable happened like what happened at the Boston Marathon and you were separated from your child?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

When do you ride HM? I have ridden it in both DL and MK and never went if it was over 10 Min.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
LoriZH
The GooGoo Dolls rock!!!!
No longer feuding with the McCoys!

We let our twins who were 10 at the time go to the arcade in the resort (Contemporary) but I was having a heart attack the whole time, it was my husband who thought it was okay even though he kept on checking on them (I watched over the inside balcony to make sure they never walked out of the arcade, this is when it was one door in and out during refurb). They wanted to do some things on their own in the resort together and my husband talked me into it. We also let the run down to the cafe to fill their drink cups a couple of times together, again I watched over the balcony. We were close by but that means nothing if one would wander off and the other got lost etc. They were pretty mature and responsible at that age, I wish I could still say that at 15 .

Disney's rules are that you must be 8 (or 9??) to enter the parks alone, so I assume they believe it's safe for a child to go in the parks unattended, why not wait outside a ride?

My vote is that you know your child better than anyone. I personally would not let my 10 year old wait outside a ride alone, I would do the child swap. Someone always gets to ride twice

The parks in my opinion are a lot different than inside a resort when they're with their sibling. Again, you know your son more than anyone and if you feel safe about it that's all that matters.

Been booed by Daninalismama, Thank you!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: