Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
kandb
DIS Veteran

Would you let your child wait for you outside of ride???

I know in this day and age we have to ultra-careful with our children but I was just wondering if anyone has ever or would consider letting their child wait outside a ride for them. My son will be 10 years old and he does not like haunted mansion (scares him). I won't force him on it but am wondering if I could leave him right outside the ride on a bench to wait for us. He is very mature and would never leave or go with anyone but I would probably be nervous the whole time I am in the ride. Any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
msd1776
NebraskaDisneyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
I know in this day and age we have to ultra-careful with our children but I was just wondering if anyone has ever or would consider letting their child wait outside a ride for them. My son will be 10 years old and he does not like haunted mansion (scares him). I won't force him on it but am wondering if I could leave him right outside the ride on a bench to wait for us. He is very mature and would never leave or go with anyone but I would probably be nervous the whole time I am in the ride. Any thoughts?
Could you utilize the ride swap and have him wait in that area, if there is one?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Personally, not ever. But only you know your child. It would make me far too nervous to have my child out of sight in such a busy place.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
msd1776
NebraskaDisneyFan

Could you have him wait in the child swap area if there is one? I would prefer that for my child.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Saratoga Goofy
Mouseketeer

Depends on the wait time. If short or in fast pass lane, then I would say yes. It would be ideal if he could have a phone to keep in touch with you though.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
kandb
DIS Veteran

I didn't even think of the child swap area. My husband will probably stay at the resort to relax some days and my two other children love HM. I know deep down he would be fine and he is such a "rule follower" that he would never leave where I told him to stay but I think I would be "on edge" since he would be out of my sight. Maybe I can bring a blindfold and earplugs and have him ride with us. He just went last weekend to see Ironman 3 with a few friends and had to leave because, "it freaked him out". I understand all kids are different, and I don't force him to ride things that scare him. Maybe I will guilt my husband into coming with us more often to the parks.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

You will get a lot of opinions about this, many of which will be from people who wouldn't let their 18-year-old wait alone for them, much less their 10-year-old.

My response is that you know your child. Will your child wander off and/or get anxious by himself? Or will he stay planted on the bench and enjoy his momentary independence? As for me...mine would stay planted on the bench and I would definitely leave them for the length of a ride by age 10. But part of that might be because of my world view - i.e. I vehemently disagree that we have to be any more careful with our children in this day and age than people have had to be in every other day and age.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

DD was 9 when we started to let her wait at the ride exit giftshop for us on rides (RnR and E:E on that particular trip). She did have her own cellphone so she could keep in touch with us, and she went through the line with us until the "chicken exit". She knew all the common sense stuff like not to leave the area, not to speak to strangers, look for a CM if she was concerned, etc. We were apart for all of 10 minutes- she was perfectly fine.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't even think of the child swap area.
Disney World doesn't have child swap areas.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Of course this is just my opinion, but I would never ever do that! Regardless of how mature he is, (the worst case scenario of someone taking your child) those individuals, who you have to be worried about are much smarter than a 10 year old. Not to mention, that is not a quick line or ride to get through.

I' m not sure how it is where you live, but we have missing person posters everywhere; in store entrances, on the back of business vans, in the towns weekly paper etc. Every time I see those it just hits home how easy it is for someone to take your child. That ride is not worth taking a risk no matter how low the possibility of something happening!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

There is no child swap area. Both parents go up to a castmember, say they are doing the swap and get a Fastpass type ticket. The first parent goes through the line and rides while the second waits outside with the child. Then the first patent comes back and the second parent uses the pass they got to ride.

Having him go through the line and use the chicken exit minimizes the time he is alone.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
joe1946
DIS Veteran

How about you stay with him and let your other two children ride HM together. That way nobody has to be left alone.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Okay. So you and two other children will ride but DS10, who is mature and responsible but does not have the temperament for the ride, will not. How about: go first to the gift shop/cart. Introduce him to the CM and instruct both of them that DS needs to select a pin/commemorative item for you and his siblings. Meet him there and purchase said item. It gives him some involvement as well as not making him just sit on a bench to wait.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Nope. Never. Alone... No.
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have an 11 year old and I don't think I would. Is there anyone else, even another 10 year old that could be with him and a cell phone? I might let 2 10 year olds with a cell phone wait, but I'd be really nervous allowing just 1 by himself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: