Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #31
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
I am not a fan of Tony's. I went there once and didnt care for it enough to go back. There is better Italian food elsewhere in WDW. Il Mulino, Tutto Italia, Via Napoli, and Portobello. Its nice cause of the Lady and The Tramp theming, its a TS in the MK which makes it popular, not the food. The food is just like what a PP said, Olive Garen or Macaroni Grill, to an Italian from NJ thats not acceptable. I tried though i just wont go back. BUUTTTTTTTT since you asked if i had to order something it would be the Shrimp Scampi, thats what i had when i was there, or just bread maybe. BTW i have only been to Olive Garden once as well and never to a Macaroni Grill.
I am an Italian from NJ as well and I have to disagree. There are many italian restaurants here in NJ that are far worse than Tony's. Does Tony's have the super best Italian food I have ever eaten, no, but its not the worst.

To me, any Italian food outside of NJ/NY area, is not really great anyway.

But I do enjoy Tony's, its not bad.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
VillianDiva
Falling in LOVE with Disney!

I don't really care for Tony's for food but I love the atmosphere. I would order the Cannelloni and then Pistachio Creme Brulee yum!!

'08 (Dolphin) , '09 (All-Star Music),
Disneyland 2011, and 2012 (POP)!

December 2013! (POFQ)
May 2014! POP!!
VillianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I'm one of the people who think that Tony's has gone "down the hill" lately, but you must remember that most people (including me I guess) don't hesitate to post a bad review when they haven't enjoyed something, but don't think to post when they really liked it. There are thousands of people who eat at Tony's every year who really enjoyed their experience.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #34
JeRmS
Mouseketeer

Not sure if it was a special item or not because I don't see it on the menu now but when we went last year I had a "spicy" Seafood Diablo ... I say "spicy" because it wasn't spicy at all by any means BUT it was very good! It had shrimp and mussels in a red sauce over a linguni type pasta.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

DH and I have been to Tony's many times and usually make a ressie there on each trip. We've never had a bad meal. We were at Tony's in March and had a great time! We had Caesar salad, Grilled Pork Tenderloin, Chicken Parm, Tiramisu, and Chocolate Gelato with a biscotti.

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

We have only eaten lunch at Tony's but it has been perfectly acceptable each time.

The common themes from the people that post that they hated it in threads concerning Tony's seem to be that they "had terrible service", it was the worst Italian food they ever had (I find it hard to believe that anything at Disney is the worst that someone has ever had), and they ate there once and would never go back. Some haven't eaten there in 8-10 years but still feel compelled to post like they ate there yesterday.

There are people that love and hate every restaurant at Disney (with the possible exception of V&A), Tony's threads just seems to attract more haters (the same ones seem to post on every Tony's thread) than most of the Disney restaurants.

Are there better places to eat at Disney? Of course there are, but not many of them are in the MK. The only way to find out if you will like Tony's is to try it. Citricos is one of our favorite restaurants, while some friends had two less than stellar experiences there (both with poor service) and will not go back. Almost everybody else we know loves Citricos. Many people love Narcoosse's but we had our worst dining experience there, due mainly to very poor service (2 hours and 25 minutes, 10 minutes less than it took us to eat at V&A) and a soft and watery lobster that my wife said was the worst she had ever had topped by an overdone filet. One bad experience does not mean that you should never go back to that restaurant again (at least at Disney).

So just try Tony's for yourself, that is the only way you are going to know for sure if you like it or not.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #37
Derby
Mouseketeer

My family always enjoys Tony's. Love the atmosphere. I'm another one who doesn't get the Tony's hate but to each their own.

2014 Coronado Springs (November)
2013 Pop Century
2011 Hurricane Irene Escape Trip (Floridays) *DD2's 1st Trip! (10 weeks old)*
2010 All-Star Movies
2009 3-day cruise on the Wonder/Caribbean Beach Resort *DD1's 1st Trip! (11 months old)*
2003, 2004, 2007 off site
1994 & 1996 Wilderness Lodge
As a child: too many times to count (off site at grandparents)
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #38
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

We ate at Tony's the first time last December. I was just like the OP, scared off by the bad reviews.
You know what? We enjoyed it just fine.
I wouldn't specifically book it at 180 days out but we had calamari, spaghetti and meatballs and multigrain pasta primavera from the kids menu.
Everybody ate their food with no complain.
We even had a really good server.
So I would try it out if I were you. We are going there again on our next trip just because we frequent MK park than any of the others. They really need to build more restaurants in that park...
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
cbeeindisney
DIS Veteran

While I may not be a repeat diner to Tony's, I'm totally an advocate for giving it a try! We went for the first time in August and I almost switched my reservation, because I was getting scared off by posts. But we enjoyed it, it wasn't the best Disney food we ever had, but it was a great atmosphere, in the middle of Main Street, and our server was great! We were just engaged that day and she went and made our meal extra special I say go for it, it's great to try everything at least once, and then you can make your own opinion! Good luck

ME (28) DF (29)
cbeeindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #40
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I always just found Tony's to be boring. I had a New York Strip Steak there once approx 5 years ago and it was not good at all. I can't recall what my DH had but I know that he was not impressed either. Perhaps after 5 years it might be time to give it another try.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #41
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

On my last trip I had nor ADR's (ok, I admit I have only made 1 my whole life)

It was a 3 day tip and the last day was cold and nasty after a brutal storm the day before, I wasn't feeling well and wanted a hot meal that I didn't have to sit on a bench to eat.

I went to Guest Services and asked if there were any openings for Dinner and they gave me a last minute reservation to Tony's.

I have to admit I loved it!
I had the Shrimp Scampi.

I cannot tell you though how much of my love was simply because I was warm/dry for the first time in two days and having my food brought to me at a Real table but it really made my day!

Oct 2013 - 5 days (offsite hotel)
Feb 2009 -3 days (offsite hotel)
Oct 2004 - Week (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Feb 1998 - Week (offsite hotel)
Fall 1993 - Week (offsite hotel)
Nakkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

I found some more pics from our dinner at Tony's in 2011:

Zucchini Fries -

Calamari -

Melon w/ Prosciutto -

Shrimp Scampi, 2011 style -

Pork w/ Mashed Potatoes & Asparagus -

Spaghetti & Meatballs -

Tiramisu -

Ice Cream Bomb -

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #43
megs1313
Mouseketeer

I'm also a Tony's hater. Stay away from the chicken parm.

I had zucchini, chicken parm, and tiramisu. the zucchini was fine.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
Mommy Of 3
Mouseketeer

We loved Tony's, and I thought the chicken parm was good.

In all our travels to WDW, I can honestly say that the only restaurant I DIDN'T like was Mama Melrose in DHS (for both food and service).

But my whole family liked Tony's.
Bea, 10
Mommy Of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #45
arubio0801
It all started with a wish...

My family like tonys! But Dh and I might like it a little more then the average bc that's where we had lunch right before we got engaged at the wishing well so for us its a special place

arubio0801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: