Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
smjj
DIS Veteran - Been there done that going back but now as a DVC member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Don't forget....this is private property. Yes, Disney charges a lot for renewals and weddings, but it's their property. They get to make the rules. And believe me, you don't want the memory of being removed by Disney security to be THE memory of your vow renewal!!!
I understand, and yes I know it is private property, I am not complaining I was just asking how they handle it, thats all. I told our kids I would ask on here. They got the price for just a renewal and that was from what I understand quite expensive. They just want a simple renewal, thats all..smjj

Been too many times and stayed too many places to mention here. Now a proud DVC member at OKW
smjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

We had our VR two years ago at the S/D. It was perfect and far, far cheaper than a similar event would have been through DFTW. Still right there in WDW though!!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjj View Post
I understand, and yes I know it is private property, I am not complaining I was just asking how they handle it, thats all. I told our kids I would ask on here. They got the price for just a renewal and that was from what I understand quite expensive. They just want a simple renewal, thats all..smjj
If they just want a simple renewal, there are tons of options. You can find a place at your resort, have you or your husband read the vows and then have a pizza party. I can think of places at nearly every resort where you can do this (just don't impose on a "normal" wedding place like the gazebo on the walkway between the Boardwalk and International Gateway).

At a park, you can just renew the vows while riding the train around Magic Kingdom. At Epcot, grab a few tables at the Liberty Inn outside seating area. Same thing at Animal Kingdom with Flame Tree BBQ seating area. Or Backlot Catering at the Studios. Or - go with a table service place, make a reservation for everyone and have the couple celebrate their renewal but don't over do it. Just have it at your table - very discreet.

I'm not knocking vow renewals because they are important and I've done it once. However, if I hadn't done it 11 years ago, I will still be married to the same man that walked down that aisle in 1982.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

I think the cheapest ceremony is just under $5k for a max of 20 guests. As mentioned, the Swolphin is usually a much more affordable cost than the Disney properties.

You could try to do something quiet. Business casual type dress isn't terribly out of place at the deluxe resorts. A small 5 minute or less huddle of 8-10 people in a corner of a resort or on a secluded balcony isn't likely to attract much attention.

Alternatively, you might be able to do a mid day pontoon boat rental, and fit the entire family on that. Obviously the 7 seas lagoon isn't international waters, but you might get a smidge more quiet there than in some of the other locations. Once again, quiet is the rule, and not to flaunt that you are breaking WDW rules/policy. Much like the people who have "spiced" up their Dole Whips for ages before Disney realized it might be a popular adult drink.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

I've seen what I'm sure was a wedding / vow renewal at Disney. I just smiled and kept walking. That said, if you got someone mean walking by they could report you. I would probably do it in a room or private area of a restaurant where there is no risk of getting caught.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Could you do that dinner boat thing (I think it's on Bay Lake)? Have the family go on that and they can say some vows to each other.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
cocoachip
Earning My Ears

Will you have a car? We had a VR for our 25th anniversary on Cocoa Beach and drove to Disney right after.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
chefmb
DIS Veteran

My brother and SIL had a very low key, but memorable, vow renewal almost 2 years ago for their 25th. They were in Disney for a week "without the kids." My brother and I made all the arrangements to fly the kids down a few days into the vacation. At a designated time, my brother and SIL were on the balcony at the WL (where they stayed), and the kids walked out all dressed up. The kids "officiated" the vow renewal. After many tears of joy from my SIL, they headed to Narcoossee's for dinner and then off to the Wishes Dessert Party for fireworks and dessert. My brother had spoken with the Disney reps, and they did not have any problem with a short, small gathering for a little vow renewal such as this. They had also mentioned the beaches of the various resorts as a possible setting. The key is to not disrupt anyone else's vacation.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
ses1230
DIS Veteran

My sister and I want to renew our vows at Disney next year (15 for me and DH, 10 for her and BIL). We contacted Disney an they wanted to charge us each the fee, even though we will have the same guests, we just need an extra bouquet an boutonniere.

So we contacted S/D and it is much more reasonable. After we are just going to dinner at one of the S/D restaurants. I would suggest contacting them for an estimate. They use a company called Marry Me! as their wedding planners.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjj View Post
I think in Disney's eyes a simple renewal as the same a simple wedding. Just the way it works.

And I guess you already found out a simple wedding I think starts at $1,500 to 1,900 for just 6 or so guests.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #26
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

I would do a wishes cruise. You can have all of the family, dress up a little, and enjoy the beautiful fireworks while they renew their vows.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
megan10310
Mouseketeer

I love the cruise idea.

First Family Disney Trip!!! March 2010

Can't Wait! Next Trip - February 2013!
megan10310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan View Post
I would do a wishes cruise. You can have all of the family, dress up a little, and enjoy the beautiful fireworks while they renew their vows.
But this is still on property and on a Disney Tour. Wonder if this would be an issue.

Pretty sure if you pulled out a veil, a bouquet of flowers and an Internet Ordained Minister they would stop just like if in a park.

Seems that Disney really protects their Disney Wedding Brand.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #29
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

If you happen to be military, SOG has more reasonable rates as well.

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
If you happen to be military, SOG has more reasonable rates as well.
That's true. We hosted a rehearsal dinner there a few years ago. There are some beautiful outdoor areas and some great areas leading down to the buses.

I'm not sure you have to be military though to do that.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: