Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
smjj
DIS Veteran - Been there done that going back but now as a DVC member!

Renewing vows

Question:
We are taking a big family vacation over Thanksgiving and staying at OKW. My son and daughter-in-law are thinking of renewing the vows while down there. They checked into having Disney do it but the cost is out of their reach. Has anyone else done this using a local person(s) and bypassed Disney? I know when we stayed at the Poly a few years ago, there were several couples who did this and we could watch from our room. They had these done on the hill overlooking the lake next to Tokelau. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance...smjj

Been too many times and stayed too many places to mention here. Now a proud DVC member at OKW
smjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjj View Post
Question:
We are taking a big family vacation over Thanksgiving and staying at OKW. My son and daughter-in-law are thinking of renewing the vows while down there. They checked into having Disney do it but the cost is out of their reach. Has anyone else done this using a local person(s) and bypassed Disney? I know when we stayed at the Poly a few years ago, there were several couples who did this and we could watch from our room. They had these done on the hill overlooking the lake next to Tokelau. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance...smjj
We did this for our 20th anniversary but we didn't use a local person. We chose a quiet place in Epcot (there were people around but it was extremely low keyed and 99% of the people there had no idea what we were doing). I had my entire family there, my brother-in-law read our original vows and the whole thing was over in ten minutes. Our son was our best man and my sister repeated as matron of honor. After, we all ate at LeCellier (this was before the whole explosion of the popularity of the place) and were treated to a very nice and unexpected "all our request" concert by our favorite band.

Renewing vows doesn't have to be a big ordeal. That was for our 20th anniversary and we're still going strong 11 years later and show no signs of slowing down.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
kimysbug
DIS Veteran

At the poly that is Disney
Contact swan/dolphin
They are reasonable I hear
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP
2006- Wilderness Lodge-December- MVMCP
2007-Polynessian- 9/27-10/1- MNSSHP 9/28 W/ Momma Bear
2009 -Coranodo Spring-Surprise trip-Graduation trip-May
2011-Wilderness Lodge-December-MVMCP
kimysbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Those people that you saw at the POLY were either renewing their vows or getting married. That location is Sunset Pointe and is one of the WDW Wedding sites (there are other sites at other resorts, as well as the Wedding Chapel).

You will not find a clergyman to perform a non-Disney ceremony on Disney property. If they did it, they would be banned for life. Likewise you will not be able to hire any non-Disney event planners, etc for a non-Disney ceremony on Disney property.

You could, as a PP described, perform your own vow renewal if you could find a very inconspicuous place and not make a performance out of it. And then have a celebratory meal at one of the WDW restaurants.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Worth asking for suggestion to a non Disney renewal on the Wedding board here.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Have to give this some serious thought. 40 years in a month.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
RevKjb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Question:
In August, we are doing an anniversary scavenger hunt/vow renewal via giftsofalifetime.com. It'll be through EPCOT and then end at the Canada Pavillion where my DW will get her Minnie Bridal Veil and I my Mickey tophat and then I'm getting down on one knee to give her her 15th Anniversary gift.
I hope it works out as planned....

Canada

RevKjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevKjb View Post
then end at the Canada Pavillion where my DW will get her Minnie Bridal Veil and I my Mickey tophat and then I'm getting down on one knee to give her her 15th Anniversary gift.

Great idea! I may borrow the idea in October even though it will three months late.

Stoney Creek near Hamilton?

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
smjj
DIS Veteran - Been there done that going back but now as a DVC member!

So I take it Disney does not allow this without a cut. Ok that is what I needed to know. From what I understood, just to renew was very expensive...smj

Been too many times and stayed too many places to mention here. Now a proud DVC member at OKW
smjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
wiserabbit
Addicted to Pixe Dust

I know you said "big" family gathering - BUT - Disney does offer a small wedding or VR package (I think max of 6 or 8 can attend- but can't remember exactly) called "Memories" for around $3000.00 - hubby and I did this - and it was magical and perfect - includes choice of site (we chose the beach at the Poly), bouquet for bride, violinist for music and photography package, and limo...you must hire an officiant and for us - we did a extra photography package at Hollywood Studios.

You could check into Swan/Dolphin as PP suggested or try to do something on the "down low" - but knowing that you risk getting caught and/or interrupted during something so personal - well - that might not make it so magical an experience as they might want

Please send congratulations to them and good luck with however they choose to celebrate
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Disney is very strict about people "sneaking in" to get married and I'm glad they are as we did it correctly and paid for our Disney wedding. Disney has strict rules about ceremonies taking place inside the park being before or after the park opens. And Disney is very strict about no wedding attire can be worn into the parks during business hours -except for MNSSHP. If anyone is seen getting married or renewing their vows without going through Disney those people will be banned for life.

With that being said... I love that people want to get married or renew their vows at Disney. They have a memories package that others have stated for a very reasonable price that includes the bride and groom and 4 other guests. A lot of people renewing their vows go for this package. There are limited ceremony locations. You get floral for the bride and groom, cake and champagne, music, a limo for 4 hours, photography, and annual passes for the bride and groom.

Also, as others have stated, there is the swan and dolphin... Much cheaper!!!

Good luck

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco PJ & Newly Started Trip Report!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)

Last edited by 2012DisneyWorldBride; 05-09-2013 at 05:11 AM.
2012DisneyWorldBride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It's so neat that the family is interested in this. So many people get tweaky about vow renewals.

Just remember that you don't have to have anyone special to *do* the renewal...it can be anyone, or even no one! That's the beauty of them. It's mainly just between the couple.

I could even see having one in a villa, after getting a bunch of flowers from a local place, etc.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
Have to give this some serious thought. 40 years in a month.
Congrats!! Our 40th is this September, going to celebrate in Disney next December.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
So I take it Disney does not allow this without a cut. Ok that is what I needed to know. From what I understood, just to renew was very expensive...smj
Don't forget....this is private property. Yes, Disney charges a lot for renewals and weddings, but it's their property. They get to make the rules. And believe me, you don't want the memory of being removed by Disney security to be THE memory of your vow renewal!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Our family booked a nice dinner and we had ordered a small cake from the restaurant and celebrated my sister and brother in laws 10 year. I can't remember if they said anything.

Could you say your vows at a nice dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread