Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Traveling with someone who has VERY different opinions and taste

My friend recently asked me if I wanted to go with her and she hasn't been in YEARS. I said, OK, but was hesitant. While we get along, we are very different in more ways than one and we've never traveled together. I told her that I'd be able to do 4 nights and that if she gave me her budget, i'd see what I can do. I figured Disney would be perfect because if for some reason we needed some space, I'd be perfectly fine going off of my own as I'm well aware of the parks and transportation and can entertain myself easily at WDW as opposed to a new city that I've never been too.

So, here's the problem. I have deluxe taste and my friend has value. I have no problem with the value rooms (although i've never stated value) but I just don't want to deal with the location. I prefer boats/walking/monorail to at least 1 park and I also prefer indoor corridors. I found a deluxe that fit her budget but was told that it was out of the question by about $200.00. I stated that all I need is a nice resort and that all other expenses are up to her (food, mostly). I thought this was a compromise as I'd probably be eating counter service food for 4 days instead of table service at least once a day (sometimes twice) like I'm used to. After all, we should both get a say - right?

I'm sitting here thinking about just paying the additional $200.00 and of course, expecting nothing in return just hoping it would be appreciated - she has no idea how nice it is to walk back to your resort after park close. I just can't help but feel like I would be taken advantage of and that I'm just too nice! I already said "Oh well, we'll try to plan something another time".

I just don't know what to do - maybe just cancel and wait for someone else to come along.

Any thoughts? suggestions? Would you downgrade your resort to make someone else happy? Keeping in mind that everything would be completely one sided at this point (food included).
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears
 
WDW in Pearls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 484

I was in this same situation a few years ago when I stayed at Pop with some friends because no one wanted to pay for deluxe. I'm not going to act like I'm a Vanderbilt, but Disney is the one thing where I spare no expense.

It's all about compromise. Maybe she will agree to eat at some higher end restaurants? Or maybe you could even do a split trip? Most people who are new to Disney see the prices and don't know why anyone WOULDN'T choose a value, so it's up to us Deluxe veterans to show them why it's great! If nothing else, go walk around the lobbies shopping or whatever. Maybe it will convince her for next time.
__________________
Disney Inn 1988 Polynesian 1989-1993, Club Level 1995-1996, 2000-2001
Grand Floridian Club Level 1994 Pop Century 2008 Dolphin 2011
Wilderness Lodge 2012 and 2013First Disney Cruise in 2014??


WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middleburg, FL
Posts: 335

Would the Swalphin be a reasonable compromise? Deluxe location and amenities for the price of a moderate.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran
 
mommyrosa2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuy View Post
My friend recently asked me if I wanted to go with her and she hasn't been in YEARS. I said, OK, but was hesitant. While we get along, we are very different in more ways than one and we've never traveled together. I told her that I'd be able to do 4 nights and that if she gave me her budget, i'd see what I can do. I figured Disney would be perfect because if for some reason we needed some space, I'd be perfectly fine going off of my own as I'm well aware of the parks and transportation and can entertain myself easily at WDW as opposed to a new city that I've never been too.

So, here's the problem. I have deluxe taste and my friend has value. I have no problem with the value rooms (although i've never stated value) but I just don't want to deal with the location. I prefer boats/walking/monorail to at least 1 park and I also prefer indoor corridors. I found a deluxe that fit her budget but was told that it was out of the question by about $200.00. I stated that all I need is a nice resort and that all other expenses are up to her (food, mostly). I thought this was a compromise as I'd probably be eating counter service food for 4 days instead of table service at least once a day (sometimes twice) like I'm used to. After all, we should both get a say - right?

I'm sitting here thinking about just paying the additional $200.00 and of course, expecting nothing in return just hoping it would be appreciated - she has no idea how nice it is to walk back to your resort after park close. I just
can't help but feel like I would be taken advantage of and that I'm just too nice! I already said "Oh well, we'll try to plan something another time".


I just don't know what to do - maybe just cancel and wait for someone else to come along.

Any thoughts? suggestions? Would you downgrade your resort to make someone else happy? Keeping in mind that everything would be completely one sided at this point (food included).
I have a friend like that and while I love her dearly, I would NEVER vacation with her. If your friend is being so inflexible now, can only imagine how she would be during the vacation itself...do you really want to risk having to "settle" constantly just so she remains happy? I wouldn't. You want to be able to enjoy yourself as you should since it is your vacation as well. Compromising has to be both ways and if she's unwilling to budge, leave her behind...JMHO.
__________________
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
I was in this same situation a few years ago when I stayed at Pop with some friends because no one wanted to pay for deluxe. I'm not going to act like I'm a Vanderbilt, but Disney is the one thing where I spare no expense.

It's all about compromise. Maybe she will agree to eat at some higher end restaurants? Or maybe you could even do a split trip? Most people who are new to Disney see the prices and don't know why anyone WOULDN'T choose a value, so it's up to us Deluxe veterans to show them why it's great! If nothing else, go walk around the lobbies shopping or whatever. Maybe it will convince her for next time.
Oh, trust me, I'm not made of money. When it comes to Disney, I don't have sticker shock. I fully am aware of the "Disney" premium and will pay it because I'm a huge fan and it's my favorite place to go. I just think that staying at a place with all bus transportation would kill the trip for me. I've been too much to deal with it. My friend probably wouldn't care as long as she was saving money but I just feel the difference in expense is so minimal that the benefits of deluxe outweigh the savings.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
Would the Swalphin be a reasonable compromise? Deluxe location and amenities for the price of a moderate.
I love the Swan and Dolphin and have stayed at both multiple times. The prices are better, but when she knows there's "less" somewhere else - it would probably be an issue.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
I have a friend like that and while I love her dearly, I would NEVER vacation with her. If your friend is being so inflexible now, can only imagine how she would be during the vacation itself...do you really want to risk having to "settle" constantly just so she remains happy? I wouldn't. You want to be able to enjoy yourself as you should since it is your vacation as well. Compromising has to be both ways and if she's unwilling to budge, leave her behind...JMHO.
You know, it does seem like maybe it's for the best. As much as I love Disney, and it's going to kill me to cancel, it could turn out bad - very bad.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran
 
mommyrosa2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuy View Post
You know, it does seem like maybe it's for the best. As much as I love Disney, and it's going to kill me to cancel, it could turn out bad - very bad.
Is there anyone else you could ask? I would try to find someone else just so you wouldn't have to cancel. Good Luck!
__________________
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears
 
WDW in Pearls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 484

Mommyrosa2 has it 100% correct! It's kind of like roommates...you may love each other but it doesn't mean you can live with one another! Traveling comes with a lot of stress, both positive and negative and it brings out the best and worst in people. My sister and I usually get along great and we argued pretty badly one night at Kona, one of our favorite restaurants! It was actually pretty embarrassing, I was overtired and my luggage got lost and I was crying like a moron. We made up during MSEP though
__________________
Disney Inn 1988 Polynesian 1989-1993, Club Level 1995-1996, 2000-2001
Grand Floridian Club Level 1994 Pop Century 2008 Dolphin 2011
Wilderness Lodge 2012 and 2013First Disney Cruise in 2014??


WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
Is there anyone else you could ask? I would try to find someone else just so you wouldn't have to cancel. Good Luck!
I'm doing my best to think of who I know that could go!

If I could find someone who I know would love it, I'd take them in a minute.

I guess there's no harm in keeping the reservation for a while while I'm searching.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears
 
WDW in Pearls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuy View Post

I'm doing my best to think of who I know that could go!

If I could find someone who I know would love it, I'd take them in a minute.

I guess there's no harm in keeping the reservation for a while while I'm searching.
Why can't I have more friends with this problem??? LOL
__________________
Disney Inn 1988 Polynesian 1989-1993, Club Level 1995-1996, 2000-2001
Grand Floridian Club Level 1994 Pop Century 2008 Dolphin 2011
Wilderness Lodge 2012 and 2013First Disney Cruise in 2014??


WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Mommyrosa2 has it 100% correct! It's kind of like roommates...you may love each other but it doesn't mean you can live with one another! Traveling comes with a lot of stress, both positive and negative and it brings out the best and worst in people. My sister and I usually get along great and we argued pretty badly one night at Kona, one of our favorite restaurants! It was actually pretty embarrassing, I was overtired and my luggage got lost and I was crying like a moron. We made up during MSEP though
Glad to hear you made up! There can be a lot of stress. I wanted to make this trip so memorable for this person that's why I was keeping it 100% Disney and as perfect as I could. I was looking forward to showing her around the parks so to speak. In fact, I probably would have done a lot of treating but I think that ship sailed.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!
 
It'sWDW4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Way too far away from "home"
Posts: 3,026

Does she have a value resort budget compared to your deluxe resort taste? I know for me, deluxe is just a pipe dream. But I love Disney so I would MUCH prefer to be able to go more often while staying value or moderate rather than have to save for a lot longer/not go as often in order to stay deluxe.

Maybe that $200 is a lot for her?

IMHO, if deluxe accomodations are a "deal breaker" for you, then you can either pick up the difference with a smile and no further thoughts of compensation from her OR you can find a different travel partner with a budget/taste more similar to yours.
__________________

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Why can't I have more friends with this problem??? LOL



yeah, you'd think it would be easy but it's not.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
carrie1626
DIS Veteran
 
carrie1626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 2,436

Of all places i would NOT want to hear complaining and then have to turn around and compromise is WALT DISNEY WORLD
It's my HAPPY PLACE and I'll be darned if I'll have it any other way.

If you feel the same, there's your answer.
__________________
I wish I were at WDW everyday
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.