Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Call me a cynic, but since my kids aren't paying for the room, they don't get a whole lot of say as to what resort that room is located in.

I agree with this.

The Royal Rooms look fantastic. You have to do things for yourself sometimes, kids shouldn't get there way all the time, that's not real life.

You shouldn't have to cover up the princesses for him either.

As a child, I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "my way or the highway" right?

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
justthe2ofus
Earning My Ears

Hi, I'm new to the board. I have recently book a Disney World vacation for my daughter and myself. (We are Disneyland passholder, but I wanted to try Disney World....so looking forward to it!!!).

Anyway, we are staying at the Port of Orleans Riverside in Royal Room starting June 10th. I feel in love with the look of the room. So my answer would be to keep the Royal Room.

I have booked a Pirate Adventure for my daughter at the Port Orleans Riverside. This may be something you can do for your son at POR. It looks like a pretty nice adventure and it's the pirate theme. I think he may enjoy it.

Enjoy your vacation and POR!!!!
justthe2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
UDFlyer12
Disney Princess

We have a family full of "adult children" (26,25,22, and 18) two boys, two girls. Stayed in two royal rooms in August 2012 and we all loved it. The rooms are so nice and have such a great theme. Even the guys liked them and wouldn't stop pushing the button for the LED fireworks We are going back and doing the same thing again at POR in July because we loved it so much! If you want to stay in the royal rooms, I'm with everyone else...go for it! While you're at the parks it is ALL about the kids, so do something you want when it comes to the rooms. They are beautiful and definitely worth it! Enjoy!

UDFlyer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
Collette
Mouseketeer

Last fall we (my adult son and daughter and me) ended up in connecting royal rooms. I hadn't originally chosen them because for some reason I thought they were too much of everything. I was surprised how much we loved the rooms!! Your son will, too. As someone else mentioned, they aren't real princessy. And he is going to love the fireworks in the headboards!!

Enjoy your stay!!
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #20
mermaidblue!
Earning My Ears

Don't sweat it!!!

My numerous mistakes as a mother has taught me that if I make a big deal about something, the kids will follow my lead. The choice of a room is only a big deal to the adults. Kids might have an opinion about rooms before they leave, but once they arrive they are completely distracted by the parks, the gift shops, the POOL! Bottom line: kids that young will most likely not care if they sleep in a cardboard box as long as they are at Disney.

The more I talk about a conflict/issue in front of my kids, the more likely that conflict will stand out in their memory. And that's not what I want them to remember about our special family trip!

Wishing you the best trip & sweet memories!
mermaidblue! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
alc571
DIS Veteran

We booked a standard Royal Room for our last trip. Once I saw where they were located, and realized I could add park hoppers to our 7-day tickets and move to a regular Garden View for the same price we switched. Our son would have loved the room for about 20 minutes, but loved the hoppers even more. We also got our requested building of Magnolia Terrace which is so close to the main pool/lobby/bus, etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
momontheright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009 View Post
Bumbershoot, the last picture you posted made me . It looks a little Haunted Mansion like. OP don't forget the fireworks in the headboards.
That is exactly why my kids want to stay in the Royal Rooms. I have one of each and was kind of worried about booking a Royal Room because my oldest really isn't into princesses anymore and my youngest is a boy but both think the fireworks on the headboards are going to be way more fabulous then I think they are. Our trip is not until next May so I am not sure if I will book a Royal Room river view or a regular River view room in the mansions. We really want to be close the bridge over to the pool so I think either one of those room types will get us close to it.
momontheright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #23
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
I've saved you a seat next to me on the Meanest Mother Ever bench. When I book our WDW trip I will consider other people's input but if I'm doing all the work there's a point at which I'm picking. If the OP wants a princess room, she should have it.
OOOhhh. Count me in!! I dragged my then 3 year old boy to the Epcot Princess lunch. Had awesome food, enjoyed the interaction with the princesses, and totally ignored his crossed arms and scowl and occasional "I YATE PWINCESSES"

Fond memories...

(Seriously, that made it WAY more memorable and funny. Great story to bring up when he brings a girl home from college. Meanest Mother Ever.)

OP--stay where you want--he'll get over it. Plus, the LED stuff is really cool and soothing regardless of whether or not you dig princesses.

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

OP, I understand your concern. Without turning this into a parenting thread, I also care what my DD thinks. I am not a "my way or the highway parent," and I didn't ever hear that as a kid.

That said, the Royal Rooms don't feel princess-y they feel rich and royal. There is so much to look at besides the princess pictures - the princes are there, and the faucet is Genie's lamp, the fireworks, etc.

I would play up the awesome pool and slide, the fireworks, etc. and see if you can get your son to come around. I wouldn't move to a pirate room with a child who is fearful of pirates, that is a vacation no one will enjoy. (Also, those pirate rooms are WAY further out from everything than the royal rooms).

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #25
Patience
DIS Veteran

We are staying in a Royal Room in September and my husband says the Royal Rooms look nice and do not look too girlie. He was willing to stay in a Little Mermaid room too for our little girl but I think he will enjoy the Royal Room better. Can't wait to go!!!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
LglBlonde
DIS Veteran

Thank you all! I sent my husband this thread... he was the one who first told me our older son would not like the princesses.

Very good advice here and I told my son (with authority) that I had decided we would stay in the fireworks rooms and he said, "Awesome mom!"

Looks like it's going to be just fine after all!

He's been to Disney four times, but all our trips have been offsite as we were traveling with other family and its just not efficient to get two-three rooms v. a pool home. So this will be a new, exciting experience for the boys. I did tell my older son that you can get Mickey wake up calls. Then, I thought, surely they still do that, but I don't know! I've not stayed onsite in 8 years! (pre kids)

Jacob's 5th Trip and Jackson's 2nd!: Sept 2-8, 2013 Fort Wilderness Cabin with Free Dining!
Jacob's 4th Trip and Jackson's First!: May 21-28, 2012 5BR House @ Emerald Island
Jacob's 3rd Trip: June 5-12, 2010 5BR House @ Emerald Island
Jacob's 2nd Trip: Feb 23-Mar 1, 2009 Emerald Island
Jacob's 1st Trip: Dec 8-15, 2007 - Two nts at Hilton WDW, then Shrek's Hideout!

Adult Trip w/ DH & my brother & his (now) wife: Aug 29-Sept 4 2005 - CBR
DH's first trip: May 31-June 4 2004 - POFQ
LglBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't worry. The boys in our family have always done fine with the princess's so long as there was plenty of food and the activities they love. Even as older teens they don't complain. However I'm sure they would enjoy the pirates theme better.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
lov2b@disney
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a royal room 2 weeks ago, my boys are 12 and 7...they really liked the room... They pushed the button for the headboards over and over every night before they went to sleep! You will have fun!! Enjoy your trip!

lov2b@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #29
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the Royal rooms in Dec and I think DH played with the headboards more than DD! LOL I didn't even notice right away any of the Princess details as the room just looked ROYAL, ie., Castle-like --fit for a Queen or KING! DH liked it as much as anybody and he's an Italian manly man! Trust me, they will be fine. Fax your request for OAK Manor, 2nd floor, close to the foot bridge-- it is a glorious VIEW. Check out the PortOrleans Riverside Thread.,..lots of advice on faxing your room requests and POR are very good about them.! ENJOY!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: