Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Unfortunately for adobe, this announcement will lose them money from me.

I recently upgraded to CS6 because I found it to perform much better (quicker) for some of the healing and panoramics that I was trying to do in Elements 9 which I had previously. The intention was to essentially stick with CS6 until I bought a new camera that CS6 wouldn't open RAW files for.

But - it's relatively rare that I venture into photoshop (I mainly work in lightroom), so there's no way I'd ever consider paying a constant subscription for photoshop as it would work out way more expensive in the long run for me as I don't upgrade every year.

I also can't be bothered with buy a month's use of photoshop each time I want to use it - granted this probably wouldn't cost me that much per year, but the hassle of having to renew and cancel a subscription every time I want to use my software is enough to push me towards something else (whether that be elements or possibly even something like gimp or pixelmator).

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

http://www.whattheduck.net/home/20130508

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
alan
DIS Veteran

As a hobbyist who can not afford to pay to upgrade to every version that comes out, there is simply no way I would consider renting my software.

Just imagine it - I might start paying now, then retire in 20 years, having paid faithfully every month. I decide that as a retired person, I don't have the cash to continue the subscription - and I would be left with nothing (i.e. the software would stop working).

No way, no how. I don't rent a house, and I sure as heck won't rent my software.

The more that Adobe / Microsoft / Apple et al try to move us towards a subscription model, the more likely I am to move to Linux.

2009 photo trip report here
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

DH and I were just talking about the subscription. I've said this on other boards, it's not unlike when MMO's first came out. People said they'd never pay a subscription to play a game. But you can't deny the success of MMO's.

I also think Photographers don't realize that we're the minority of Photoshop users. I know it's called Photoshop, but there are more graphic designers and digital artists out there who use it daily than photographers.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
alan
DIS Veteran

That's certainly true. It's also true that Adobe has the right to charge what and how it wants for its products... and that it has to live with the consequences!

2009 photo trip report here
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
As a hobbyist who can not afford to pay to upgrade to every version that comes out, there is simply no way I would consider renting my software.

Just imagine it - I might start paying now, then retire in 20 years, having paid faithfully every month. I decide that as a retired person, I don't have the cash to continue the subscription - and I would be left with nothing (i.e. the software would stop working).

No way, no how. I don't rent a house, and I sure as heck won't rent my software.

The more that Adobe / Microsoft / Apple et al try to move us towards a subscription model, the more likely I am to move to Linux.
Calling this a "rental" mischaracterizes what it actually is. It's a subscription to a software service with constant updates. Unlike houses and cars, software isn't static throughout the duration of its existence. It's dynamic. I'm assuming many people here pay for cell phone service, cable service, or even internet service. Where's the residual that any of those offer?

Chances are, if you bought a house today, it will still "function" 20 years from now. There is 0 chance that a piece of software from Adobe would. It would be obsolete in some way or another.

Photographers are notoriously slow to adapt to different business models, so I think this will take a fundamental change in thinking to get working pros on board with this model (even if it will likely cost them about the same or even less in the long run), but I think eventually photographers will warm to it.

I think it's a solid move for those who make a living using the Adobe CS. For those who don't make a living using the Adobe CS...there still exist plenty of Adobe "home" options with a perpetual license, and competitors offering alternatives to the more robust Adobe software.

It's certainly a solid move for Adobe, albeit a bit of an initial gamble. I'm assuming this will significantly cut down on their lost revenue to piracy.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I'm waiting for LR5. Seems like that is still one program that will be sold as standalone instead of being part of the Cloud.

But I have no issue with a subscription basis for Adobe CC software. I prefer to know that when updates are available, they are provided immediately and to the entire subscription base so that everyone has the latest technology to work with.

It's no different to subscribing to a computer virus protection software. Can you imagine purchasing a virus protection software out of the box knowing that an on-line subscription would provide you with regular updates and the out of the box was static?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Lightroom is in the cloud and I wouldn't be surprised if they stop selling a perpetual license. Photoshop Elements is not in the cloud though and I suspect that will be Adobe's answer to the users who do not want the cloud.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

As a non-professional user, I would consider paying $5 or even $10 a month for the subscription, but there is no way I can agree to pay $30 a month for the amount I use it. I frequently go months without opening a photo editing program.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaCta View Post
As a non-professional user, I would consider paying $5 or even $10 a month for the subscription, but there is no way I can agree to pay $30 a month for the amount I use it. I frequently go months without opening a photo editing program.
My thoughts exactly!
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
I'm assuming this will significantly cut down on their lost revenue to piracy.
This was my initial thought, but I have to wonder how many of the people who pirate the software will break down and pay for it? I'm sure there will be some, but it will be partially offset by some who decide to migrate to another product. I guess it sepends on whether Adobe is concerned about people having the software at all versus those who would pay but only if that's the only way to get it.

I already have a Creative Cloud subscription though work, and (should it become an issue) I would argue at great length to continue. I'm also a graphic artist and quite a bit of the work I do (that people seem to really like) is fairly dependent on features that are pretty specific to Photoshop and not easily duplicated elsewhere, as far as I know, such as Layer Styles. Even if other programs could perform similar tricks, would they be able to import the considerable library of Layer Style presets I have bought (in some cases) and created myself? Seems unlikely.

My photography, especially the stuff I consider art, is also dependent on Photoshop for many fine details. I'm definitely not one of the "I do everything in Lightroom/ACR" types! So I'll have Photoshop unless and until circumstances force my hand, or something better comes along that can do the things Photoshop does.

Listening to the latest ISO 5571 last night, I heard a remark about how creating a Photoshop document (meaning a .psd) in the latest version of the software and then losing access to the software would mean losing access to the files. Not exactly; there's a "Maximize compatibility" checkbox when you save a .psd (unless you told Photoshop to stop showing it); turning it on makes a file that can be accessed by earlier versions of the program. It isn't a perfect solution, as you'll lose access to any effects newer than the older version you have and in some cases, a flattened composite may be all you salvage. But under the circumstances, it would be better than not being able to open the images at all.

Scott
Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #27
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Here's a possible new twist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Facebook Page
We understand that Creative Cloud is a huge change. We want you to know that we're listening, and we're currently researching how we can address your concerns while still maintaining our focus on delivering the next generation of creative software. http://adobe.ly/133vruD
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Here's a possible new twist...
Interesting. Now if we can just get something like that out of Disney regarding FP+........
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
Listening to the latest ISO 5571 last night, I heard a remark about how creating a Photoshop document (meaning a .psd) in the latest version of the software and then losing access to the software would mean losing access to the files. Not exactly; there's a "Maximize compatibility" checkbox when you save a .psd (unless you told Photoshop to stop showing it); turning it on makes a file that can be accessed by earlier versions of the program. It isn't a perfect solution, as you'll lose access to any effects newer than the older version you have and in some cases, a flattened composite may be all you salvage. But under the circumstances, it would be better than not being able to open the images at all.

Scott
Well there's your mistake. The idiots on that show have no idea what they're talking about!

Seriously, though, thanks for the info!

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post

Well there's your mistake. The idiots on that show have no idea what they're talking about!

Seriously, though, thanks for the info!
Well that's not fair, it's just that Tom guy. I've found that if you fast forward his parts you end up with a much shorter and more informative show.

As far as Creative Cloud is concerned it's never as bad as the most negative comments and never as good as the most positive. From a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense for Adobe to go the subscription model (as long as they don't loose to many customers). I know that there decision was made to try to get everyone to switch to the subscription model, but ideally they would still offer boxed versions of apps.

If you need a few of the apps than the CC is actually a good deal, especially at $29 a month the first year. The problem is if you only need Photoshop sparingly. At $20 a month, I believe most people wouldn't find it that good of an idea! Could they offer daily, weekly or monthly rentals? If I only use the app once or twice a month a $5 a day rental might be a better deal, and if you use it more than 4 days they charge you $20 for the month.

Last edited by mikegood2; 05-30-2013 at 11:20 AM.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: