Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Adobe announcement

Anyone else upset that Adobe has announced that all future versions of their software will be available through subscription only? I'm usually someone who's right there purchasing the next version when there's a new release, so if I do the math it might actually work out for me. I just hate to think about having a new monthly bill -- especially having purchased new Photoshop and Lightroom versions not too long ago. They offer a 1-product price, but needing both Photoshop and Lightroom throws me into purchasing the entire creative suite.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Anyone else upset that Adobe has announced that all future versions of their software will be available through subscription only? I'm usually someone who's right there purchasing the next version when there's a new release, so if I do the math it might actually work out for me. I just hate to think about having a new monthly bill -- especially having purchased new Photoshop and Lightroom versions not too long ago. They offer a 1-product price, but needing both Photoshop and Lightroom throws me into purchasing the entire creative suite.
Can u elaborate a bit more. I haven't seen anything yet. I usually buy through our work adobe license.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Planning 2015 park/cruise trip for the 10th Anniversary

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Web Site
In order to accelerate the rate at which we deliver new features and services, and to ensure that we do so with the highest level of quality, we are focusing all of our efforts on Creative Cloud.

Given this, the CC applications will be available only as part of Creative Cloud. We will continue to sell and support Adobe Creative Suite® 6 applications, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary. We do not, however, have any current plans to release new versions of our CS applications.
Current CS6 versions of Adobe software are the last versions for which you'll be able to purchase a perpetual license. After that, all new products will only be available through a Creative Cloud subscription.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Current CS6 versions of Adobe software are the last versions for which you'll be able to purchase a perpetual license. After that, all new products will only be available through a Creative Cloud subscription.
Oh yuck! I do NOT like that idea for anything. I buy my music, I buy my software, I buy my movies (or rent). I don't like the subscription idea.

Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)

My Trip Reports:
Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I was skeptical at first, but I LOVE the subscription service. It gives you access to every Adobe product and all their updates. It's so so amazing, and if you use more than one Adobe program and want or need to stay on top of updates, you will quickly come out ahead. I'm a professional graphic designer, so others' mileage may vary, but I love that I can experiment with other programs while having the most up-to-date version of the programs I use every day -- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver. It's AWESOME.
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I think if you're an occasional user (like myself) you're going to have a hard time justifying paying on a monthly basis. I know I just won't use it. I edit a lot of photos but only in spurts a few times a year.

I see the potential for another company to fill this gap. If they just can't then I'll probably learn to love my Jpegs again. I just don't care enough about having the latest greatest anything. I have LR3 and feel no urge to upgrade to 4. Heck, I have photoshop elements 2.0 on my computer. Obviously I don't do a lot with it, but occasionally it's just a quick way to do something simple.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I'm a fan of the cloud myself. I use many Adobe titles and like to have the latest versions so it works well for me. I could see this easily causing some home users to turn to other processing solutions though.

Finally graduated. Woooo! To graduate school, and beyond!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
PythonFan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They offer a 1-product price, but needing both Photoshop and Lightroom throws me into purchasing the entire creative suite.
You will still be able to purchase a perpetual license for Lightroom.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjour...ive-cloud.html

If you use both LR and PS just buy a perpetual license for LR then pay the single app price ($20/month for an annual contract) for PS.

Last edited by PythonFan888; 05-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.
PythonFan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
I'm a fan of the cloud myself. I use many Adobe titles and like to have the latest versions so it works well for me. I could see this easily causing some home users to turn to other processing solutions though.
The catch is the cloud will have space limits and if you don't have a solid internet connection it could cause issues.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
PythonFan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
The catch is the cloud will have space limits and if you don't have a solid internet connection it could cause issues.
Not really. It's not a web based app. You install the software on your computer and you can still use it even if you're offline. IIRC, it checks your subscription status just once a month. You get 20 GB of cloud storage for "sharing and collaboration" but you can still store your images and files on your local drives if you so prefer.

Last edited by PythonFan888; 05-08-2013 at 03:25 PM.
PythonFan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
photo_chick

Quote:
Nope. I've been using this since August. The files are stored on your computer (if that's where you want them). The software is installed on your computer. While you do have to sign in occasionally you do not have to have a continuous computer connection. I did have an issue where my laptop was making me sign in every time, but that turned out to be an issue with my laptop and not the cloud. I do suspect it hits the server more often than just for the sign in, as many things do these days, but I have used it completely offline.

You can use it on as many computers as you like but you can only be signed in to one at a time. Although since you can in fact use it without an internet connection for a period of time there are some workarounds with that. I suspect Adobe will be closing those holes over time with more periodic checks.

The catch is that you have to commit to a contract with the same kind of early cancelation penalties you'd have with a mobile phone.

Last edited by photo_chick; 05-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Like others have said, Lightroom will still be sold separately. So if you are upgrading the new version will cost you under $100. Also, if I remember correctly, Adobe has a fairly lenient upgrade policy, so if you own CS3 or higher you can get Adobe Creative Cloud for $29 a month for the first year.

Quote:

I think one of the bigger issues Adobe created was naming it Creative Cloud. I've read or heard from more than a few people who believe that you access and use your apps thru your web browser. The reality is that you still download and install all the apps onto your desktop. I'm glad that's the way they handled it.

That said the fact that they periodically check the validity of your account can occasionally lead to problems. Actually we ran into that this week at work. My employers bank card was compromised last month and a few times a week he gets reminded of how many things he pays for with his debit or bank account. When we launched an app we were informed that we had one day left on the apps, but a quick access to his account fixed the issue.

Even before Creative Cloud their verification system has had issues. I have had to reinstall apps on more than a few occasions over the years because the system decided that my version off the app wasn't valid.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Nope. Not happening for me.

I am so frustrated with trying to use Photoshop Elements 10 that I sure wouldn't want to pay a monthly or yearly subscription for an updated version. I only use it once or twice a month. It was recommended to me by my sister who is a photographer.

I'm ready to uninstall the program and throw the disc in the garbage and look for something more basic user friendly so no way would I pay for a subscription.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post

I am so frustrated with trying to use Photoshop Elements 10 that I sure wouldn't want to pay a monthly or yearly subscription for an updated version. I only use it once or twice a month. It was recommended to me by my sister who is a photographer.

I'm ready to uninstall the program and throw the disc in the garbage and look for something more basic user friendly so no way would I pay for a subscription.
Elements is not currently included in the cloud anyway. It's considered home user software and the cloud is really aimed at professional level software. I would guess that they will either continue to sell Elements as a stand alone or discontinue it.

If you're having a hard time with it though there are some great books out. Or try different software. While most photo editing software uses the same basic tools, you might download a trial of Corel Paint Shop Pro. Some people feel like that interface is more user friendly.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post

When I first got 8 (now moving to 11), I got a book because I couldn't remember how to do certain advanced features. There also is the Guided section which does a good job of "walking" you through many of the basic adjustments. I use it frequently. Also, don't be afraid of the "Auto" buttons. It gives you a good starting point that you can undo if you don't like it. Believe me when I say I'm not a Photoshop expert, but I manage to get the "look" I want most of the time. Plus, by referring to the book (for those things I can't seem to remember), I'm able to do some of the advanced features. Good luck.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: