Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
jbrown22
Earning My Ears

Where to eat with little kids

This will be our first family trip to Walt Disney World and I need some suggestions on where we should eat. We'll be going in November and getting the dining plan. Our children are 1 and 4 and we'll be staying for a full week. It has been 15+ years since I've been to Disney so I am open for any and all suggestions.

Thank you!!
jbrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown22 View Post
This will be our first family trip to Walt Disney World and I need some suggestions on where we should eat. We'll be going in November and getting the dining plan. Our children are 1 and 4 and we'll be staying for a full week. It has been 15+ years since I've been to Disney so I am open for any and all suggestions.

Thank you!!
Your one year old will be free at all buffets. And all you can eat type places. My choices would be Crystal Place, Ohana, Sunshine seasons (CS in Epcot) RainForest Cafe the on at AK, Kona, GF Cafe. You kids will be treated well at all places at WDW. I would check out the menus at www.allearsnet.com.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
fallen_angel727
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

In Disney just about every restaurant is child friendly. May I suggest character meals, they fun for little ones (and big ones too ) Tusker House, Chef Mickey or 'Ohana would be great choices. It also depends on whether or not they are picky eaters...though mos kids menus seen to stich to chicken nuggets, mac n cheese and traditional "kid" style food.

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (AKL)

fallen_angel727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
happyleesh
Mouseketeer

We loved Crystal Palace at MK for both breakfast and lunch/dinner - great kid and adult friendly food and it's Pooh and friends. Same with Garden Grill at Epcot, it's the rotating one with Mickey, Pluto, Chip+Dale. I don't know if your kiddos love the princesses but we had amazing food and great princess interaction at Akershus in Norway at Epcot. Hollywood Studios has a Disney Junior character lunch with Jake, Mickey, Handy Manny and Agent Oso.

happyleesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Pseudacris
Mouseketeer

Well, I'll tell you where we are eating with my 3 and almost 2 year old in a few weeks and why I chose those places. I have 2 boys, so no princesses this time, or I would to Akershus maybe Cinderella's palace.

Chef Mickey's (dinner)-Contemporary resort--1st time eating here-I don't think the food is all that great, but character interaction is supposed to be good. Buffet. Monorail straight back to MK if desired.

Boma (dinner)-Animal Kingdom lodge-We are staying here, so this is our meal on our low key day. The food is amazing. Also buffet.

Crystal Palace (breakfast)-Magic Kingdom--character interaction great, decent breakfast, and if you get an early reservation, you can be in the park before it opens and get good pictures.

Biergarten (dinner)-Epcot--food is great, show is fun for kids and adults. Buffet.

Garden grill (dinner)-Epcot--never been here either, but character interaction is supposed to be good. Food is family style, but as much as you want. You can see inside The Land while you eat.

T-Rex (dinner)-Downtown Disney--my older kid is hugely into dinosaurs. I think it's supposed to be rainforest cafe quality, but huge dinosaurs inside. Call the restaurant to get a reservation-the disney website is always booked, because they only block out a few reservations for Disney.

Raglan Road (dinner)-Downtown Disney--no reservation. Irish pub. First night there, just hitting downtown disney. If that doesn't work out, I hear earl of sandwich is supposed to be delicious and cheap. Both are kid friendly.

Not to mention-counter service is kid friendly in terms of picky eaters, not sitting down too long and getting bored, and price point. Be Our Guest(MK), Columbia Harbor House(MK), Flame Tree BBQ(AK), Sunshine Seasons(EP), and lots of CS options in the world showcase at Epcot are tasty. Can you tell I plan my vacations around eating?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

We enjoyed Hollywood and Vine at DHS. In March we had an ADR @ 11:00, first seating at lunch and lots of character interaction. We got to see Jake many times, and DS4, DD2 and DS7 had a great time with him.

As with most places, some people love the food and some don't, but my older sons (DS15 and DS13) liked the food so much, that they want to go back on our next trip. And they are "picky" in that they will critique every restaurant we eat at on food quality. There have been more than a few WDW restaurants they have asked not to go back to because of the food

When we left around 12:00 there were lots of families waiting to check-in.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
sabcook
Mouseketeer

Keep the signatures in mind too. THey really do have some wonderful food and other than V&A's, they are all kid friendly. My kids (6 and 9 now) have been to Citricos, Flying FIsh, Brown Derby, Artisit Point, Jiko, and California Grill, many when my DD was 2 and we never had a problem. On the up side -it was a great experience for the kids to have practice at a nicer restaurant.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
mimi'sgirl
Mouseketeer

Buffets are a great options..like Crystal Palace..Akershus..but we also love O'hana, the Plaza Restaurant in Mk and Sci-fi in HS. Have fun planning!
mimi'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Our kids are now 13, 11, & 3, but we've been going to WDW since the older two were 3 & 5.

Following are our "must do" restaurants & the restaurants that we keep going back to every year because the kids love them:

Chef Mickey's - The only character meal w/ all 5 of the Fab 5 characters (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, & Pluto); it's a buffet. It's located in the Contemporary & feels very "Disney-ish" to me w/ the monorail running through. We do the breakfast.

Cinderella's Royal Table (MK) - Character meal w/ the princesses in the castle; you order from a menu. We've done breakfast, lunch, & dinner, but, in the last couple of trips, it's become our traditional "first night in MK" dinner. When our younger DS was 2, he was considered "free", & our server at CRT was absolutely wonderful - the best service & the kindest attention out of all the restaurants where we dined that year!

Crystal Palace (MK) - Character meal w/ Pooh & Friends; it's a buffet. We normally do breakfast or lunch.

Garden Grill (EPCOT) - Character meal w/ Mickey, Pluto, Chip, & Dale; the food is served family-style. It always tastes fresh to me, &, according to the servers, some of the food is grown right there in The Land. The character interaction is always really good, & my kids love how the restaurant slowly revolves through scenes from "Living w/ the Land"

'Ohana (Poly) - There is a character breakfast here, but we do the dinner. The food is served family-style, & there is fun stuff for the kids - coconut races, hula lessons, etc. Plus, the Poly is a lovely resort, & some of the tables have views of the Castle.

Sci-Fi (DHS) - non-character meal; you order from a menu. Our kids really enjoy sitting in the cars & watching the old sci-fi clips!

3 more of our favorites (but not every trip restaurants) are Tony's Town Square (MK), T-Rex Café (DTD), & Whispering Canyon Café (WL) - our kids LOVE Whispering Canyon Café! It's a cowboy/western themed restaurant w/ lots of fun antics.

We also enjoy lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK.

We also always schedule a Fantasmic Package at Mama Melrose's, try a new World Showcase restaurant each trip, & either go to Yak & Yeti (AK) or Boma (AKL) after our day at the Animal Kingdom.

And, we're trying Be our Guest for the 1st time this year!

Your kids might also enjoy Coral Reef - our kids like sitting by the aquarium & watching the fish. However, last time we were there, we weren't impressed w/ either the food or the service.

Hope this helps some!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
MrsJ Henry
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace!! _ Like PP poster said..... Great character interaction, good breakfast and if you get there before park opens you can get some great pictures in front of the castle and on Main street. My husband says there is nothing like sitting and eating breakfast and looking out at the Castle!

Chef Mickey-- Just so much fun for little ones and the food is good. Not great... but worth it overall.
Off Site- in '93-'94-'95
Disney Villas-'83-'84, Hotel Plaza 1979

MrsJ Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Julie711
DIS Veteran

We like Crystal Palace & Chef Mickeys for dinner, and Tuskershouse in AK for breakfast!!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Chef Mickeys is great for kids I always love it

Tusker house is also one of our favorites great experience last year went there for the first time and will definitely go back again.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown22 View Post

Thank you!!
Where are you staying? That would be very helpful to know. Location, location, location!!
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
pmcneff
Mouseketeer

Fantasy land either cs or dinner service
Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
jbrown22
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all the suggestions! We are staying at AKL, so they are very helpful in planning on where we will eat.
jbrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: