Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
graybear
Earning My Ears

New kid in town - planning 1st family trip!

Hi all!

Been a long time lurker and wanted to finally join in since we are FINALLY planning our first family trip! So excited!

We (me, dh, 3 kids) are planning a Sept DW trip and I'm the main one researching and planning and being the extremely indecisive person I am, I'm stressing over figuring out the best places for us to eat, schedules, etc. Its a good stress though so I'm not complaining!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself here.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
planning
Earning My Ears

Welcome to the boards! I'm mostly a lurker myself, but I found this site a few months ago when my wife and I decided to finally pull the trigger and schedule our first family vacation to Disney World. I know what you mean about indecisiveness and (good) stress, but the people on these boards have really been wonderful in helping me plan a great trip.

Of course, I've still got 23 days until we leave and I actually get to put my plans to the test, but with all the help I've gotten on this site it really is a huge relief to have the comfort of knowing that I've done all the "hard stuff" and now I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. Of course some would argue that waiting is the hardest part.
planning is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
graybear
Earning My Ears

Thank you! And wow, 23 days will be here before you know it! Can't wait to hear how it goes for y'all.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
disneymom0811
Mouseketeer

I hear ya- I have been to wdw a couple of times but others have always planned the trip for me- first time planning one on your own is exciting
disneymom0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Taytortots
Mouseketeer

Welcome to Disboards.
I know that feeling. Planning can take a LOT of time. I'm going in December, I've been many times before, and i'm already pouring over different options and reviews.
Have fun planning!
Taytortots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
jendahl12
Earning My Ears

Welcome Graybear!!

I'm solidly in the camp of "if it's not over-planned then everything will work out fine, we have contingencies."

...and ponchos...."they want HOW much"...pack your own if there is any questions about the day.

The support group here is awesome for any questions (as I'm sure you know).

Let them fly.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybear View Post
Hi all!

Been a long time lurker and wanted to finally join in since we are FINALLY planning our first family trip! So excited!

We (me, dh, 3 kids) are planning a Sept DW trip and I'm the main one researching and planning and being the extremely indecisive person I am, I'm stressing over figuring out the best places for us to eat, schedules, etc. Its a good stress though so I'm not complaining!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself here.
Hi and welcome!!

I know exactly what you mean... you invest so much time and energy (not to mention money) into this trip that you want it to be fabulous!! And you hear so many conflicting pieces of advice that you're not sure just who to listen to!

Can we assume that you've already booked a resort? If not, then know that the number of places on site that will accomodate 5 are a bit limited. Let me know if you need the list of places.

I'm guessingyou'll want to be sure you do at least one princess meal. My personal reccomendations are: 1) Aukerhaus in Epcot. Five princesses come to your table for autographs and pictures. We do a late breakfast (more of a brunch) so we don't miss rope drop.
or 2) Dinner at 1900 Park Fare. Cinderella, the Prince, the Stepsisters and Stepmother are all there. The Steps are hysterical!!

If Princesses aren't your thing, consider a meal at Chef Mickey's (It's our first night dinner each time.) Some other restaurants you'll want to consider are Sci Fi in DHS and Yak and Yetti in AK. (We do lunch; August in Animal Kingdom is hotter than the face of the sun, and the air conditioning and a nice long lunch are a wonderful break!)

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 05-12-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Welcome aboard!!!
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote