Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Gluten-Free at Palo (Magic)

DS15 has been GF for 3 years and we've done been on the Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy doing GF for him. I'm recently GF and have a Med trip coming up in June. I have both brunch and dinner ressies for Palo. For those of you who have done GF at Palo, what do you recommend? I think dinner will be fine (but I'm really going to miss the chocolate souffle!). Brunch has so much glutenated food that I'm not sure I'm going to be satisfied. What has been your experience? TIA?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

I am GF and have eaten at Palos brunch several times on the Wonder.
A chef takes the GF person around and explains what can be eaten. No pizza, but yes to the wonderful egg dishes, lots of desserts, lots of fish, cheese, salads,etc. Actually I was stuffed when I left, there are many choices for brunch and the chef will make things for you too.

But I was wondering about dinner? Is Palos worth it GF for dinner?

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

I thought you had to be 18 to eat at Palo.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
DS15 has been GF for 3 years and we've done been on the Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy doing GF for him. I'm recently GF and have a Med trip coming up in June. I have both brunch and dinner ressies for Palo. For those of you who have done GF at Palo, what do you recommend? I think dinner will be fine (but I'm really going to miss the chocolate souffle!). Brunch has so much glutenated food that I'm not sure I'm going to be satisfied. What has been your experience? TIA?
The wife and I ate at Palo for dinner on the Fantasy and she is GF, they made a GF chocolate souffle for her and it tasted great. I don't see why it should be any different on any of the other ships. It is amazing how Disney and the restaurants associated with them are way ahead of everyone else with food allergies.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
OP is not asking about their son going to Palo for GF, they are asking for theirself that is newly GF.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post

DS15, who has been gluten-free for many cruises, will have to wait until he is 18 to eat at Palo. I've eaten at Palo many times, but have never done it gluten-free before. For a change, I'll be doing something GF before he does. I've only been GF for a few months; he's been GF for 3 years. So, I know how GF works everywhere else on the ship. I just wondered about other's experiences in Palo. I hope that clears up your confusion!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
The wife and I ate at Palo for dinner on the Fantasy and she is GF, they made a GF chocolate souffle for her and it tasted great. I don't see why it should be any different on any of the other ships. It is amazing how Disney and the restaurants associated with them are way ahead of everyone else with food allergies.
Ooh...GF chocolate souffle....Do they have a drooling emoticon?

Did she have to order it ahead of time? I hope the chef on the Magic can do this.

Did she have to order her meal ahead of time, like at the MDR's?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
geffric
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework

don't know but since I am ahead of you doing the EBTA ,I can report back ..

I plan on going to Rockin Bar D and getting Palo dinner ressies and asking about the GF options and process.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geffric View Post
don't know but since I am ahead of you doing the EBTA ,I can report back ..

I plan on going to Rockin Bar D and getting Palo dinner ressies and asking about the GF options and process.
That would be great! When do you get back? We leave 6/13. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
geffric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
That would be great! When do you get back? We leave 6/13. Enjoy your cruise.
We get back on June 6..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We get back on June 6..
How was it? We fly out on 6/13 for the 6/15 Med.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
geffric

GF at Palo on the Magic

I had both brunch and dinner at Palo. Brunch was easy - the chef walked me around and I could eat almost everything except the pastries. I don't like the gf buns they have ( they are frozen and dry, I think) but I love fish, cheese, salads, and egg and spinach omelet. So brunch was fine and I was very full.

as far as dinner, it could have been better. The server/chef explained my options and I got the lamb. Very tasty. The risotto, which I could have if they would remember to leave off the bread thingy for decoration, they didn't remember..so ..

Dessert was good but NOT a soufflé. The Fantasy and the Dream have different kitchen set ups and on the Magic I couldn't have anything from the pastry kitchen as there was too much flour in the air.

As far as regular breakfast, they do have blueberry muffins and donuts that are gf. Frozen from Kinnineck (sp),, they have gf waffles that are van's but no toaster to make them in so they use the grill with a foil on it. ..

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
tawneycarter
Earning My Ears

Thanks for GF info

Thanks for the update on the breakfast items. My husband is GF by choice and I think it is especially hard for him to watch me eat waffles. Nice to know they have a good GF supply
tawneycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawneycarter View Post
Thanks for the update on the breakfast items. My husband is GF by choice and I think it is especially hard for him to watch me eat waffles. Nice to know they have a good GF supply
Have you noted the GF diet on your reservation?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had both brunch and dinner at Palo. Brunch was easy - the chef walked me around and I could eat almost everything except the pastries. I don't like the gf buns they have ( they are frozen and dry, I think) but I love fish, cheese, salads, and egg and spinach omelet. So brunch was fine and I was very full.

as far as dinner, it could have been better. The server/chef explained my options and I got the lamb. Very tasty. The risotto, which I could have if they would remember to leave off the bread thingy for decoration, they didn't remember..so ..

Dessert was good but NOT a soufflé. The Fantasy and the Dream have different kitchen set ups and on the Magic I couldn't have anything from the pastry kitchen as there was too much flour in the air.

As far as regular breakfast, they do have blueberry muffins and donuts that are gf. Frozen from Kinnineck (sp),, they have gf waffles that are van's but no toaster to make them in so they use the grill with a foil on it. ..
Thanks for the info. DS15 has had the GF muffins and donuts on the Fantasy, so he'll be happy to see them on the Magic, now. I'll have to be careful at Palo. I love risotto.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: