Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
mikelbeck
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Just buy dining plan?

If I book a Disney hotel and get park tickets from someplace OTHER than Disney, how can I add the dining plan if the other source doesn't offer it? Can I just call Disney and buy it separately?
mikelbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Nope. You must buy a package in order to buy the ddp. (Unless you're a passholder or a dvc points reservation.)
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
mikelbeck
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Nope. You must buy a package in order to buy the ddp. (Unless you're a passholder or a dvc points reservation.)
Gah. All of my plans for saving money on this trip are just going out the window. I guess I need to suck it up and just give Disney all my money.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
dansamy
DIS Veteran

When is your trip? If it is during free dining days, that's often the "best" discount for many families.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
evabraniff
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind not all hotels on property are DDP eligible.:-)

May 2012 : Coronado Springs
May 2013 : Caribbean Beach Resort
evabraniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can't add the dining plan unless you have a package reservation through Disney. If you bought the room through a third-party broker, in most cases that is not a Disney package reservation.

You could check on what discounts Disney would give you on the room for the time you are going, then cancel the third party reservation and rebook through Disney.

Passholders have to buy packages too, although they are ticketless packages. The only guests who can get a dining plan without a package are DVC members booking through Member Services.

Only the Disney-operated resorts offer the Disney dining plan. There are a few resorts on Disney property (Swan/Dolphin, Shades of Green, Bonnet Creek) that are not operated by Disney; they aren't eligible for the dining plans.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
mikelbeck
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I've only booked the flight so far, no hotel or park tickets. I was looking around for the best price and found Orbitz had slightly better prices for the hotel (plus 5% cash back through eBates) but only offered park tickets without the dining plan. And one place through my job had good prices on park tickets but nothing else. But we wanted to get the dining plan too so I guess I'll just do it all through Disney. It's worth the extra couple of bucks to have everything done in place place and not have to deal with the hassles.

BTW we're going Thanksgiving week - Nov 26th to Dec 2nd and will be staying at the Pop Century.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Orbitz is the type of third party broker that you can't buy a package through. Some of the airlines (Southwest and JetBlue) run package vacations that you can book, and the airline acts as your travel agent, and you can get a Disney package through them. But not with a third party broker like Orbitz. If the meal plan is make or break for you, then get your reservation through Disney directly.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelbeck
I've only booked the flight so far, no hotel or park tickets. I was looking around for the best price and found Orbitz had slightly better prices for the hotel (plus 5% cash back through eBates) but only offered park tickets without the dining plan. And one place through my job had good prices on park tickets but nothing else. But we wanted to get the dining plan too so I guess I'll just do it all through Disney. It's worth the extra couple of bucks to have everything done in place place and not have to deal with the hassles.

BTW we're going Thanksgiving week - Nov 26th to Dec 2nd and will be staying at the Pop Century.
You'd probably do better to pay for food out of pocket. Put the cost of the DDP that you want on Disney gift cards. Buy just what you want. I'll bet you come out ahead.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe to make a package you only have to buy a 1 day ticket for each person in the room. Isn't that right? Then, you an buy your 4 day park hoppers, or whatever amount of days, somewhere else. Usually for free dining, you would have to buy 2 day tickets. Then we would just use our non-ex tickets or buy other tickets.

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
mommyof2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
mikelbeck
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2princesses View Post
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe to make a package you only have to buy a 1 day ticket for each person in the room. Isn't that right? Then, you an buy your 4 day park hoppers, or whatever amount of days, somewhere else. Usually for free dining, you would have to buy 2 day tickets. Then we would just use our non-ex tickets or buy other tickets.
Would I then be able to get the dining plan for my whole stay or only that 1 day?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post

Would I then be able to get the dining plan for my whole stay or only that 1 day?
A- that wont make economic sense. See below.
B- your dining plan has to be for the same number of nights of stay in the resort. It's not tied to your tickets, other than the minimum purchase to make it a package.

It rarely makes economic sense to use two separate tickets during one trip because of the way Disney front loads the price off their tickets, with the first day or two being so expensive and then prices per day dropping as you add more days. After 4 days, tickets only cost like $10 per day.

A 4 day hopper costs about $332 from Disney.
A one day hopper plus a 3 day hopper would run about $436 from Disney. You're not going to find a ticket discount that saves you $100.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
A- that wont make economic sense. See below.
B- your dining plan has to be for the same number of nights of stay in the resort. It's not tied to your tickets, other than the minimum purchase to make it a package.

It rarely makes economic sense to use two separate tickets during one trip because of the way Disney front loads the price off their tickets, with the first day or two being so expensive and then prices per day dropping as you add more days. After 4 days, tickets only cost like $10 per day.

A 4 day hopper costs about $332 from Disney.
A one day hopper plus a 3 day hopper would run about $436 from Disney. You're not going to find a ticket discount that saves you $100.
I think what the PP was saying is to go ahead and get the flight and tickets he will use from the discounted places he's already found. Then when he makes his resort reservation WITH Disney just buy a 1-day ticket in order to get the package with DDP, but NOT use that ticket. You save it for future years when ticket prices will be higher, but you can upgarde it after it's first use and it will have full value for that time toward your upgrade.

So, yes, it is more expensive right now, but will save money later.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
I think what the PP was saying is to go ahead and get the flight and tickets he will use from the discounted places he's already found. Then when he makes his resort reservation WITH Disney just buy a 1-day ticket in order to get the package with DDP, but NOT use that ticket. You save it for future years when ticket prices will be higher, but you can upgarde it after it's first use and it will have full value for that time toward your upgrade.

So, yes, it is more expensive right now, but will save money later.
Unless he wants a dining plan on his next visit. He could always rent DVC points.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Look closely at what the DP costs! Unless you're always eating the most expensive things on the menus, it's not usually a great deal. And especially if you have kids that are considered Disney "adults" like my 11-year-old. There's no way he eats $55 worth of food every single day! We're going to do out of pocket and I expect it will end up being a lot less than paying for DP.
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: