Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Vent417
Earning My Ears

How strict with ages at kids club?

My family will be going on the 10/27 sailing of the Dream and I was wondering how strict the ages were for the kids club.

My oldest son will be 2 when we sail but his 3rd birthday is 11/4, so my question is.

Will he be able to go into the Oceaneers Club/Lab or does he have to go to the Its A Small World Nursery?
Vent417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vent417 View Post
My family will be going on the 10/27 sailing of the Dream and I was wondering how strict the ages were for the kids club.

My oldest son will be 2 when we sail but his 3rd birthday is 11/4, so my question is.

Will he be able to go into the Oceaneers Club/Lab or does he have to go to the Its A Small World Nursery?
In order to participate in Oceaneers Club/Lab the ages are 3-12. And children must be potty trained. Potty trained in Disneyspeak means able to recognize that he needs to use the toilet, able to undress and redress himself, and be able to clean up, and wash hands with no assistance.

If your 2 year old is potty trained, you can speak to the CMs at the Club and see if they will allow him in for a trial run. If successful, he may be allowed to stay.

I will point out that, while the Club space has activities aimed at the 3-7 group, and the Lab space has activities aimed at the 8-12 group, any child in the Club/Lab area can participate in whatever activities that appeal to them, regardless of age.

That means 11 & 12 year olds will be running/playing in the same spaces that your 2 year old will be.

I will also point out, that, if the ship has already reached it's maximum number of children in the proper age group to fill the Club/Lab, no exceptions are made.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
calismic
Mouseketeer

They have a 3 month 'grace period' for the Oceaneers Club so your son shouldn't have a problem attending. He must be fully potty trained though. This includes going alone. If he has older siblings that will also be in the club that will help a lot. My daughter was 2 years 9 months on our sailing and we took her to the open house. The attendants watched her interact for a good 15 minutes before they allowed her a bracelet. She LOVED the club though!

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
seacruise
Earning My Ears

We were on the Fantasy a couple weeks ago with our daughter who was about 3 weeks shy of being 3. They asked her a couple questions (who her favorite character is, etc.) and verified with us that she was potty trained. Then they put a bracelet on her and off she went. I was actually expecting them to take a bit more time evaluating her, but she had an older sister in the club as well so maybe that had something to do with the quick decision.
seacruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Vent417
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the responses!
Vent417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
143daniels
Earning My Ears

I went with my whole family (29) all together. We had two 3 year olds who were barely potty trained and a 2 yr 10 mo old. All three went to the club. The boys had accidents a few times and the crew members just sent a text to the wave phones. There was no waiting period before they could bring them back or anything. The crew members were understanding and nice about it.
143daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
lrtravelsite
Earning My Ears

I had a similar experience. But I had the advantage my son has his sister with him (she was 6 by the time) I honestly don't think he would stayed alone. My son is not shy at all, but all activities and kids around are overwhelming.

I strongly suggest to go to the open house (1st day) and while there let him go by himself and hide somewhere but you can watch him also. There you'll know if you think you can leave him alone for a while

Hope this helps!!

Royal Caribbean: Southern Caribbean 2007; 2010
Princess Cruises: Transatlantic Mediterranean 2011
Disney Cruise Lines: Bahamas - Dream 2012
Carnival Cruise Lines: Bahamas - 2013
lrtravelsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

I'd be a tiny bit concerned with a just 3 year old. My 3 (almost 4) year old boy went to club and didn't have the best time ever. Because of the mixed ages and there is NO close supervision it is a fairly rough and tumble environment. My son fell a number of times -- one time quite seriously in this environment.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
JillShari
Mouseketeer

We were on the Dream in March... my 3 year old son is not potty trained at all and won't wear pull ups either. I was in the nursery for the open house and was told by staff there, that he would be ok in the oceaneers club/lab because he was 3. The restrictions were that we check on him about every 30 minutes so that we could change him when he needed it.

(I expected that he couldn't go unpotty trained, but that wasn't true)
JillShari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Seriously? That is quite a change in policy!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillShari View Post
We were on the Dream in March... my 3 year old son is not potty trained at all and won't wear pull ups either. I was in the nursery for the open house and was told by staff there, that he would be ok in the oceaneers club/lab because he was 3. The restrictions were that we check on him about every 30 minutes so that we could change him when he needed it.

(I expected that he couldn't go unpotty trained, but that wasn't true)
I would guess there were other factors involved that you didn't realize. Quite possibly, they had a lot of little ones (Nursery-age) on this particular cruise and at the same time not too many in the Oceaneers Club. It may have made things easier for the Nursery CMs to have your son moved up so they could take more babies.

I also wouldn't suggest to anyone that they should expect this to happen, though (and not everyone would be able to check back in every 30 minutes if the point was to have some adult time). Nice pixie-dust for you!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: