Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

Help From Pop Veterans

We are a family of 7, 2 parents, 4 kids 8 and under and a Grandma. My 8 Year old is special needs and as a result can't do tons of walking so we are trying to balance how close the main building is, close to the pools, close to a parking lot and as well going across the bridge to AofA. Our travel agent has recommended the 60's but it is obviously far from the parking lots(we are renting a van this time because last time was a nightmare waiting for the buses at night with the 4 little kids).

What is your opinion Pop Veterans? I think that it would make sense to sacrifice the distance to the parking lot for being closer to other areas but had wondered whether the 50's or 90's could make more sense?
gskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

We are pop vets, we love it there. My wife has MD and has some issues with walking long distances too. We usually stay in the 60's area. Room 5757 was the best location for us. It is in the 60's but not right at the pool( it backs up to the rooms that look out at the hippie pool) short walk to pool, dining and if you go through the dining hall the parking lot is right there. You can also walk around century hall to parking lot. Can't remember just how far that was but seemed short. 50's is nice and pool is right there and seems less busy, but walk to AoA is furthest in resort. Rooms in the 60's that look at hippie pool will give good location to dining , pool and some what short walk to AoA. But all in all I think 60's might be best, some correct me if I'm wrong but always seemed most central to us. Hope this helps and have a great trip. And check with front desk they may have a wheel chair for at the resort for him if be needs it.
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnyfireman View Post
We are pop vets, we love it there. My wife has MD and has some issues with walking long distances too. We usually stay in the 60's area. Room 5757 was the best location for us. It is in the 60's but not right at the pool( it backs up to the rooms that look out at the hippie pool) short walk to pool, dining and if you go through the dining hall the parking lot is right there. You can also walk around century hall to parking lot. Can't remember just how far that was but seemed short. 50's is nice and pool is right there and seems less busy, but walk to AoA is furthest in resort. Rooms in the 60's that look at hippie pool will give good location to dining , pool and some what short walk to AoA. But all in all I think 60's might be best, some correct me if I'm wrong but always seemed most central to us. Hope this helps and have a great trip. And check with front desk they may have a wheel chair for at the resort for him if be needs it.
Sorry trying to follow where your room was, was it facing the lake, do those rooms end up far away? Ie I am trying to figure out if the "non preferred" rooms will work well, the ones on the other side of facing the pool still work well, close to everything, is there a preference we would want in the 60's buildings etc, thx?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
3boys4me
DIS Veteran

We like to stay by the big Mickey phone. Sorry, don't know the decade. Just made ressie this morning and requested Mickey phone, first floor.

11/2004 All Star Movies
11/2005 POFQ
11/2008 Coronado Springs
11/2009 Coronado Springs
11/2010 Caribbean Beach Resort
03/2011 POP, 11/2011 POP
11/2012 AoA, 11/2013 POP
11/2014 ASSP
3boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys4me View Post
We like to stay by the big Mickey phone. Sorry, don't know the decade. Just made ressie this morning and requested Mickey phone, first floor.
Any particular reasons?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
poofiesdream
Disney always and forever

50's building is good but it is preferred so cost more. 90's is great not far from the dinning, a small pool near by, and a short cut threw to the parking area in the front.
poofiesdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I would say 80's...close to classic hall, not extra money, close to parking lots. we love 80's/90's...most convenient for us..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

You are going to have to whittle down your 'needs'...there really aren't any rooms that are close to the pools, close to parking, close to the food court and close to the bridge to AoA. The 70's section is fairly close to all those things. 80's/90's is close to parking, and the food court, with a pool in between them, but distant from AoA bridge.
The 60's section has a lot going for it....but it's not really close to parking.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
3boys4me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskywalker View Post
Any particular reasons?
It was an easy walk to the food court. I believe that the first building in that section is preferred, so it is pretty close and we drive to all parks except MK and it is convenient to the parking lot too. We were put there by chance the first time and just loved the convenience of it. I am sure that other building are as good if not better but I found it great for eating and getting to the car.

11/2004 All Star Movies
11/2005 POFQ
11/2008 Coronado Springs
11/2009 Coronado Springs
11/2010 Caribbean Beach Resort
03/2011 POP, 11/2011 POP
11/2012 AoA, 11/2013 POP
11/2014 ASSP
3boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
You are going to have to whittle down your 'needs'...there really aren't any rooms that are close to the pools, close to parking, close to the food court and close to the bridge to AoA. The 70's section is fairly close to all those things. 80's/90's is close to parking, and the food court, with a pool in between them, but distant from AoA bridge.
The 60's section has a lot going for it....but it's not really close to parking.
I don't think I have to whittle down my needs, I have shared all my needs so that they can be balanced. If it was a matter of ranking the needs sure I could do that, my bet would be most important would be being close to the main dining area, last would be close to A of A. I think the 60;s is probably best as long as parking isn't an issue but wanted to get more experienced opinions, as opposed to me looking at a map and a youtube video of a person walking from the main dining to the hippy dippity pool
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskywalker

I don't think I have to whittle down my needs, I have shared all my needs so that they can be balanced. If it was a matter of ranking the needs sure I could do that, my bet would be most important would be being close to the main dining area, last would be close to A of A. I think the 60;s is probably best as long as parking isn't an issue but wanted to get more experienced opinions, as opposed to me looking at a map and a youtube video of a person walking from the main dining to the hippy dippity pool
Then you need to list your requests in order of their importance.

It should be very easy to look at a map and establish what works best for you; you cannot have everything. I know most people who go to Disney feel they can satisfy millions of requests, but just being there is most important.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskywalker View Post
I've just returned from my 99th night at POP. (my 21st for this year)
Based on what you are saying, I think your two best options would be either building in the 60's or my first suggestion would be bldg 1 in the 50's or the left side of bldg 3 in the 50's. I think those would be the best options for you and would meet your needs to the best of your abilities. And I would probably suggest them in that order. good luck and I hope you have a great trip!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: