Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffiharri View Post
I think we have to draw a line somewhere. We simply can't afford everything -we have prioritised putting eldest daughter through University (she's in her first year) and keeping our promise of full livery for her horse (DH and I don't know one end from the other). The house can got to pot (visitors probably think it has - sorry neighbours ).
Ok I know how expensive keeping a horse is (then add on the first pony that you can't bear to sell...)

I think as you are happy to plan you can choice the better QS which are mainly resorts and DTD and use them for one meal to get some better food.

The other option is to use a couple of credits for breakfast as there are some breakfast options too

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
duffdo
Mouseketeer

Hmmm. I really can see where you are coming from on this thread! On my last trip, we got free QSDP at POR but paid about £630 to upgrade the two of us onto DDP for the two weeks. This time around we got free DDP at Saratoga for three weeks! To be honest I don't think I could cope with CS meals for the entire holiday. I would say it was doable if you looked at menus and found places that offer more than the standard chicken nuggets, hot dog, burger or chicken salad but my experience is that these are few and far between. Even on DDP, I got sick of the CS option every day. I know it is a lot of money, especially taking into account gratuities etc, but food on Disney is expensive anyway. If it was a question of money, I would take the QSDP (only if it were free!) and try to eat either at a TS or off site at least every other day. It's a shame really because the CS meals are generally of very high quality, they just make me not want to eat fast food for months after coming home!
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Before I did the QSDP for the 2 weeks, I thought I'd be fine, in fact, I always thought the QSDP would be better for us than the DP because I hate being so tied down by all of the ADRs. But after a week, I was losing the will to live. It isn't the lack of options because there is a decent amount of choice, I just didn't like eating off of paper plates and boxes with plastic cutlery all the time and not eating a decent meal.

I think if I were you, I'd look at other options. If you're there for 3 weeks, maybe getting an Annual Pass with TIW would work better for you? I don't know, but the very thought of 3 weeks on QSDP makes me shudder!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Or at least, go to Art of Animation, where you get real plates and cutlety. They have some items on menu that get it as close to a TS meal as a CS meal can get ...

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
westgrove
Mouseketeer

We did 14 days QSDP lasy year and would have been fine for longer too. I researched a lot before we went. I think if you are 'lazy' about it boredom will come quickly but using other resort CS places and those in world showcase mixes it up. Eg:
Yak & yeti CS
Flametree BBQ
Lotus Blossom Cafe
German, morrocan and japanese that i cant remember the name of!
Peppermarket
Fish&chip place in DTD
WGP Express
Earl of sandwich...

If you search in the restaurant reviews thread for QSDP only you'll get lots of ideas!
Nov 2014 - Disneyland Paris (?)
May 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland (?)
westgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Ffiharri
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all your comments.

Given the girls want to stay on site, we've decided it makes sense for us to book a mod with free QSDP. We'll probably eat offsite a few times if/when QSDP drives us to it - given that we've not eaten off Disney property since 2005 I'm quite looking forward to that part.

Just need to decide which mod to book now. We've decided against PO as we've stayed there and eaten CS there numerous times. So a straight fight between CSR and CBR 3 for CBR and 1 (me ) for CSR so I'm guessing we'll be booking CSR soon then
Sep 1997 All Star Sports, Christmas 2000 Off site, Oct 2003 Port Orleans Riverside, Christmas /New Year 2004 Pop Century, Aug 2005 All Star Movies, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2010 Old Key West, Jul/Aug 2012 Old Key West
Ffiharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
ukool
Mouseketeer

We had it for 14 days. Its not that bad really, and thiers decent food if you go to the right places. We went to some other hotels for meals as well and they have some pretty good menus so may be worth looking at them.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #23
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

We stayed at CSR in December and my dd really enjoyed it. The pool area is good, and there is table tennis and beach volley ball
Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #24
Ffiharri
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
We stayed at CSR in December and my dd really enjoyed it. The pool area is good, and there is table tennis and beach volley ball
Phew So glad that was a positive for CSR Just this second pressed the payment button on it. Let the planning begin

Not too sure what's happened to us this year - we're not usually indecisive, normally agree on Hotels and have NEVER, EVER booked the hotel before the flight! My mantra is flights first and everything else falls into place. Breaking all my own rules. Ho Hum.
Sep 1997 All Star Sports, Christmas 2000 Off site, Oct 2003 Port Orleans Riverside, Christmas /New Year 2004 Pop Century, Aug 2005 All Star Movies, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2010 Old Key West, Jul/Aug 2012 Old Key West
Ffiharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #25
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffiharri View Post
Phew So glad that was a positive for CSR Just this second pressed the payment button on it. Let the planning begin

Not too sure what's happened to us this year - we're not usually indecisive, normally agree on Hotels and have NEVER, EVER booked the hotel before the flight! My mantra is flights first and everything else falls into place. Breaking all my own rules. Ho Hum.
We love CSR - think you will have a great stay. The pepper market is great for dinner on the QSDP too

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #26
epcot.girl
DIS Veteran

CSR is a fantastic resort - my favourite mod and probably my favourite resort overall. Perfect choice for QSDP too IMO.

Pepper Market: platters, quesadilla, build-your-own burritos, salads, sandwiches, pizzas, wraps.

I could get by for three weeks on QSDP easily. There's lots of choice. DTD obviously has lots of variety, but there are loads of good places in the parks too. Just some examples:

Magic Kingdom
Cosmic Ray's: rotisserie chicken, chili cheese fries
Pecos Bill: taco salad, chicken Caesar
Be Our Guest: braised pork
Columbia Harbor House: grilled salmon, clam chowder, fried shrimp platter

Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree BBQ: pulled pork sandwich, ribs, chicken
Yak and Yeti: sweet and sour chicken, egg rolls

DHS
Starring Rolls: sushi, sandwiches and cupcakes
ABC Commissary: Asian salad, seafood platter
Pizza Planet: meatball sub, antipasto salad

Epcot
Sunshine Seasons: Mongolian beef, chicken pot pie soup, flatbreads, pork chops
Cantina de San Angel: tacos, nachos
Tangierine Cafe: shawarma platters
Kringla Bakeri og Cafe: fresh sandwiches, bakery

Consider getting the Epcot and MK snack guides from the DisneyFoodBlog for good ideas on where to use your snack credits too, and don't forget some popular table service items can be found in CS restaurants (tonga toast in Captain Cook's, zebra domes in The Mara).

epcot.girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
baylie666
Mouseketeer

We are staying AoA for 3 weeks and have the QSDP that we paid for when booking.
To be honest food on holiday is just fuel for us. We have a few nice table service meals booked (be our guest, Cinderellas royal table, raglan road, house of blues, hoop dee doo and garden view tea rooms) but the majority of our holiday will be quickish food and snacks.
One member of our party will tire of this quickly I feel but we are at Disney to see Disney, not the food...
JMHO and how we are doing our WDW holiday
October 2016 - AoA Cars Suite for 3 weeks
~~~~~~~~~~~~

baylie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

As I was reading this I thought the only way I'd cope with Qddp would be if I stayed at CSR - As pp have said Pepper Market is a really good CS, lots of choice.

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic
Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #29
queendisney
DIS Veteran

yay...you are all booked that's excellent.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: