Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Ffiharri
Earning My Ears

21 days on QSDP - views please

Am I mad?

We've done the DDP on our last 3 trips but this year the price increase has gone to more than I am willing to pay (£2,850 last year for 21 nights in OKW to over £3,600 in 2014).

DD's (19 & 14) say they're not too bothered about the DPP but,like DH, would prefer to stay on site. The girls quite fancied AS Music - they really don't care whether it's a value, mod or OKW/SSR.

Having done the sums - Music is currently around £1,780 about £1,000 cheaper than CSR or CBR which offer the free QSDP. I'm guessing that room only discounts after free dining ends may see the values offered at £1500 saving £1,280 over the free QSDP at the mods.

It's been some years since I've eaten off site for 21 days but I'm guessing that it will average around $100 a day for the 4 of us (around £1,400).

Staying in CBR (family's mod choice) or CSR (my mod choice) looks like a win win if it's just the sums to consider BUT 21 days of two counter service meals a day ............................ anyone done it? I've always enjoyed the CS meals on the DDP but we've always had a Table service to look forward to.

I'd appreciate views from those who have used QSDP.
Sep 1997 All Star Sports, Christmas 2000 Off site, Oct 2003 Port Orleans Riverside, Christmas /New Year 2004 Pop Century, Aug 2005 All Star Movies, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2010 Old Key West, Jul/Aug 2012 Old Key West, Aug 2014 Royal Pacific & Coronado Springs, Aug 2015 Somewhere, Universal & Saratoga Springs
Ffiharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
chmurf
DIS Veteran

WDW has quite a wide selection of CS offerings. And it is possible not to get bored by CS ... but only for a short period of time.
QSDP for 21 days ... that's 42 counter service meals in a row ... that's a looooot.

I know we are glad to insert a TS every now and then, for a change.
So I guess that even if you're on QSDP, you might find it nice to do a few TS once in a while. Otherwise there is a fair chance that you get bored with CS meals by the end of week 2 with a full week to go. Or alternately you might eventually end up eating offsite on some days, and be left with QS credits.

For what it's worth, we did CS only (OOP) and offsite (McD and Perkins mailny) with 5 Disney TS in between over the course of 21 days last october.
To be perfectly honest, at one point by the end of week 2, we were standing in the middle of Lanscape of Flavors (AoA), we couldn't decide what to eat, nothing seemed appealing to any of us 3 .. we moved on to POP's foodcourt where we reluctantly settled for an Angus Cheesburger ... yippeeeee !
We were "CS bored"

If you go Disney CS for 21 days, definitely insert offsite or TS meals in between. 21 days is a very long time on CS (even though I reckon it's highly manageable and enjoyable for some people)

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
queendisney
DIS Veteran

now you've done it!!! You just watch the different opinions on this one

Personally we only like the qsdp as it suits our touring style completely. We nearly always go for 21 days and there is no problem with getting bored, there is a lot of choice.
We hate having to decide what to eat, when to eat it at 6 months out.
It is also very easy to find a good range of food, its not all burgers, hot dogs and fries you can get so many different things.
We don't like planning a holiday around our food we much prefer to eat when we want to and where we happen to be on that day. It allows far more freedom on this plan. We really couldn't care a hoot that we don't have real plates with real cutlery. Its all down to personal choice and we prefer to spend more time in the parks and not around a table.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

If you go for the mod with the QSDP I would certainly want a least a couple of TS meals either onsite or off in the 21 days and it may mean you do not use all your credits - would that be a problem?

I have gone past the days where I enjoyed the DDP. I do not want to book a TS everyday. I want to just eat what I fancy even if that means driving offsite.

For what its worth OKW has increased behond what we are willing to pay for it next year too.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

We have done the QSDP since 2009 and wouldn't have it any other way. You can just pay OOP for the odd TS if you want one, but last year we skipped TS altogether and did 19 days of CS meals and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It depends how important meals/sit down meals are to you and your family. If you went with the QSDP and you and your DH had a couple of TS meals you'd still come out way ahead of upgrading. I also looked at prices of values this year and then factored in adding dining plans and it is still cheaper to stay at a mod resort and get the dining free (for us anyway).
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffiharri View Post
Am I mad?

We've done the DDP on our last 3 trips but this year the price increase has gone to more than I am willing to pay (£2,850 last year for 21 nights in OKW to over £3,600 in 2014).

DD's (19 & 14) say they're not too bothered about the DPP but,like DH, would prefer to stay on site. The girls quite fancied AS Music - they really don't care whether it's a value, mod or OKW/SSR.

Having done the sums - Music is currently around £1,780 about £1,000 cheaper than CSR or CBR which offer the free QSDP. I'm guessing that room only discounts after free dining ends may see the values offered at £1500 saving £1,280 over the free QSDP at the mods.

It's been some years since I've eaten off site for 21 days but I'm guessing that it will average around $100 a day for the 4 of us (around £1,400).

Staying in CBR (family's mod choice) or CSR (my mod choice) looks like a win win if it's just the sums to consider BUT 21 days of two counter service meals a day ............................ anyone done it? I've always enjoyed the CS meals on the DDP but we've always had a Table service to look forward to.

I'd appreciate views from those who have used QSDP.
I have to be honest, we did 2 weeks on the QSDP last year and I couldn't stand it. I would never go on the QSDP again, I would rather suffer the higher price. There is a wide variety of options, but for us it reached a point where we were so sick of quick service meals we would have sold vital organs rather than eat one more meal. We ended up buying lunch for 2 families because we just couldn't take another quick service meal.

I totally understand the price issue, but I couldn't manage it for 14 days, 21 would send me crazy
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
it reached a point where we were so sick of quick service meals we would have sold vital organs rather than eat one more meal.
That bad huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
I totally understand the price issue, but I couldn't manage it for 14 days, 21 would send me crazy
The price is an issue if you are upgrading and don't want TS every day but aside from last year, it still worked out cheaper for us to get the QSDP and pay OOP for our TS and we used to do 6 or 7 per trip so you need to do the math on it. It is possible to have the best of both worlds
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

I think I would need to eat offsite for a few sit down meal, or on site if you don't mind the extra cost.

Resorts such as POR have a large food court, also WP at DTD would make a change.

How do you feel? Have you looked at any menus?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

We eat a TS meal almost every evening, might miss the odd one but couldn't do a whole holiday on QSDDP.
Unfortunately Disney don't have an option in our price bracket from this year (even more next year) Wouldn't stay in value at £60/nt room only, Moderates are more than Deluxe when upgrading to DDP, Deluxe too expensive so its back to offsite for us again.
As I have posted a few times, its not just the cost of staying there, its also cost of tips onsite, decline in service standard (we got really fed up with them asking what we wanted for dessert while still eating entree) cost of a beer etc etc.
Good luck with your choice.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

personally for us it wouldnt work, we like our table service meals and enjoy the break.
When you think of counter service meals, you think of the basic burgers/chicken etc.
However, WDW is not like that at all and I think youll be fine.
I agree with others that it may be nice to pay for the odd table service meal but there are so many different counter choices that you can have.
Im not sure if youd even need to do that.
eg MK+Cosmic rays-roast chicken, CHH-salmon, Tacos, hot dogs etc
Epcot has so many choices. you can even go to DTD and eat at WPE-weve not eaten there yet but I know they do a great range.

I'd say go for it
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Rienchen
Real Life Mary Poppins

We've only done 10 days on the QSDP, but we LOVED it and can't wait to do it again next year.

We did a lot of resort visiting and tried out the different food courts at the hotels, really enjoyed it.
Our favourite CS meals were at Wolfgang Pucks Express, the Mara and Columbia Harbor House...
Disneyland Paris Daytrips in 1998, 1999 and 2002 Disneyland Paris 2 Days/1 Night at the Sequoia Lodge in 1998 Disneyland Paris 3 Days/2 Nights at the Hotel Cheyenne in 2000Walt Disney World April 2004 2 Days(Off Site Youth Hostel) Mother Daughter Trip to WDW offsite April 2006 WDW December 2008 ASMu

2 nannies on a mission to find Mary Poppins at Disneyland Paris-a November 2011 Trip Report

Dining Review in Progress: Please take a guess how much we cost the Mouse?

Rienchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

I wouldn't want to do it. That said with research I could, but that would involve travelling to lots of different QS places to eat to find the variety, which to me would be more hassle than planning a sit down every day. I'd do it rather than stay off site though.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Tbh I would be happy to do it for 2 weeks though not done it before. Payed oop for all our meals this time but had TIW card. We visited AOA food court which was lovely. DTD POR flame tree in AK and pizzafari all allowed the 20%discount. Im not a burger fan but loved the salads and pastas.
I would still pay for 3-4 TS as well. We ended up cancelling 6 of our 13 TS booked as was too hot and just were not hungry.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Ffiharri
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the replies so far - keep them coming

If it was just DH and I, we'd stay in LBV and dine offsite. Eldest DD would be gutted not to stay on site - she's a HUGE Disney fan and has to be dragged to Universal, IOA etc every couple of years or she'd never leave WDW (unless it's a Converse outlet )

I think we have to draw a line somewhere. We simply can't afford everything -we have prioritised putting eldest daughter through University (she's in her first year) and keeping our promise of full livery for her horse (DH and I don't know one end from the other). The house can got to pot (visitors probably think it has - sorry neighbours ).

Quote:
There is a wide variety of options, but for us it reached a point where we were so sick of quick service meals we would have sold vital organs rather than eat one more meal. We ended up buying lunch for 2 families because we just couldn't take another quick service meal.
I have warned DD's that it will be their vital organs at risk!

Quote:
As I have posted a few times, its not just the cost of staying there, its also cost of tips onsite, decline in service standard (we got really fed up with them asking what we wanted for dessert while still eating entree) cost of a beer etc etc.
Absolutely! It cost over £600 in tips last year. The girls are not big meat eaters so do tend to have the cheaper meals on the Menu so I imagine many people pay much more. I politely refused a few times to order the dessert with the entrees - no one had a problem with this but it was a minor source of irritation. Some places seemed to have crammed even more tables in than the time before. I swear in Chefs that it was just as easy to eat off the next table as ours. Having said all that I do love TS dining

Quote:
WPE-weve not eaten there yet but I know they do a great range
WPE is a great CS choice. Missed the Sweet Potato fries they used to serve though.

Quote:
We hate having to decide what to eat, when to eat it at 6 months out
We're planners! The colour coded excel spread sheet is taken in paper form and blue tacked to the room door. Spare copies are in the suitcase in case the worst should happen backed up by electronic copies on the phone and ipad On DPP, every meal is booked at 180 +10, parks are slotted in. There's a CS suggestion for each day and errr even a list of places I'd like to try "snacks" from. I really must get a life
Sep 1997 All Star Sports, Christmas 2000 Off site, Oct 2003 Port Orleans Riverside, Christmas /New Year 2004 Pop Century, Aug 2005 All Star Movies, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2010 Old Key West, Jul/Aug 2012 Old Key West, Aug 2014 Royal Pacific & Coronado Springs, Aug 2015 Somewhere, Universal & Saratoga Springs
Ffiharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

I'd give it a try.

If you are a planner you can go to the 'best' QS. Wolfgang puck express, pepper market and be our guest lunch are just like TS.

If you fancy a sit down meal every few days then eating offsite you will still be a heck of a lot better off than with ddp.

We may do QSDP this time if US disney offer free dining for our dates.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: