Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #31
Donald Ducks wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
woohooo well done on deciding
Now the fun begins, happy planning.
If you need any help, just ask away.
Ohhh I have lots of questions

Will there be a fridge in the room?

Is there a wall-mart nearby? Yes I am strange, I want to visit a wall-mart and to get snacks etc

Is there a McDonalds in downtown disney?

Would it be better to get annual passes just further discount? We don't plan on returning within a year. ( I'm just too used to getting discount with my annual pass at DLP)

We are flying from Glasgow direct, having a kid with autism I have to think ahead, what is the airplane like inside? I've only ever went to Paris on a plane, never a long journey like America. We usually sit at the front seats, is there wee tv's to watch?

There will be more questions no doubt, thanks
November 2012 - Santa Fe DLP
March 2013 - Cheyanne DLP
October 2013 - Santa Fe DLP
April 2014 - Hotel New York DLP
October 2014 - Hotel New York DLP

March 2015 - Hotel New York DLP

Donald Ducks wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #32
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Ducks wife View Post

Is there a wall-mart nearby? Yes I am strange, I want to visit a wall-mart and to get snacks etc

Would it be better to get annual passes just further discount? We don't plan on returning within a year. ( I'm just too used to getting discount with my annual pass at DLP)

We are flying from Glasgow direct, having a kid with autism I have to think ahead, what is the airplane like inside? I've only ever went to Paris on a plane, never a long journey like America. We usually sit at the front seats, is there wee tv's to watch?

Annual passes probably wouldn't be worth it. The little mermaid rooms have been excluded from the room discounts since it opened. They are a lot more expensive than UK tickets and could see you making up the difference in discounts.

There is a McDonalds near the all star resorts the one at DTD closed years ago now.

There are Walmarts nearby. Probably a 15 minute drive.

Once you know which airline you are flying with we can give more details on the plane. You tube will have videos.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:

Value resorts didn't used to have fridges in them (I have heard that this was going to change though). You can pay extra for one, it was $10 a day last time I checked

There are a number of Walmart stores within a 20 minute drive

Not anymore

Unless you're planning a second trip within a year, there is nothing to be gained by upgrading to Annual Passes.

I have 2 children with ASD (one Aspergers, one classic) so I TOTALLY understand the need to forward plan and forward think. Planes vary, but in my experience, most airlines have their seating charts available online or will send them to you if you ask. My advice would be to contact the airline special assistance (if they have one) if you need the front seats, we have had mixed results with this to be honest

My kids have done the flight to the US many times (my DW is from the US so we travel to see family as well as to Florida) and my advice would be to pack him a bag of his favourite things to do. There will be entertainment and movies to watch (barring any disasters with the in flight entertainment which we have had a few times) but it is a very long flight for them to manage.

How does your son's ASD affect him? Does he have sensory issues? If you can give us an overview of his difficulties, I can probably make some suggestions. I know I probably sound like I'm harping on about this, but WDW is nothing like DLP and there are some sensory issues that apply at WDW that were not a factor at DLP when we were there.

Answers in red!
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Just checked for you and according the WDW the Little Mermaid rooms have a small fridge in the rooms

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #35
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:

There is a fridge we had I e when we stayed in the LM room!
I'm glad you have chosen we lived AOA and we have stayed at AKL SSR POP to name a few, and my kids really did love the colour and theming of AOA!

Once you have chosen where to stay then the fun really begins I also have a son with autism he is 10 we never have problems flying with him as long as he knows the plans and we have a TV which most if not all do now .

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post

The AoA quote doesnt include dining and you dont get the $200 gift card with the value resorts.
Oh I know it does not include dining which I why I said that even with the OP paying for dining it is working out cheaper.
I don't necessarily think in this situation the 200 gc was a big factor as she would be paying more just to get the card.
Looks like they decided on AOA so the planning can begin

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
Donald Ducks wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post

Answers in red!
My son is currently non-verbal, loves airplanes and disney. Sensory wise, he chews alot of things and if someplace is closed in with alot of people and alot of noise he gets cranky, so that's why sitting at the front of the plane, he won't see the crowd and won't be able to kick the seat in front.
We are flying with Thomas Cook.
My son doesn't really understand much, but if he knows that he's going to Disney, he should be fine. Am able to take his favourite snacks etc on flight huh?
November 2012 - Santa Fe DLP
March 2013 - Cheyanne DLP
October 2013 - Santa Fe DLP
April 2014 - Hotel New York DLP
October 2014 - Hotel New York DLP

March 2015 - Hotel New York DLP

Donald Ducks wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #38
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Every disney hotel room (except cabins at FW) have a fridge, even the Values, since March 2012. (it's a small fridge at Values)

Quote:
2 walmart I can think of.
The first one is on 535 (exit Disney property at Crossroads (Hotel Plaza Blvd & 535) head down 535 past I4, and go straight down 535. You'll find Walmart roughly one mile before the junction with 192. (There are also a Publix and a Super Target at the junction of 535 & 192)
The second Walmart (supercenter) is past AKL. Drive down to 192 Westbound towards US27. You'll pass a Target and a Publix before the US27 junction. Take US27 north and you will find a walmart 1/4 to 1/2 mile after the junction.

Quote:
not anymore
there is one just at the entrance of the All Stars Resorts. But limited selection of McD food, and Disney pricing
The first "real" McD is on Crossroads (past DTD, up Hotel Plaza Boulevard, at the junction with 535 (vineland)

Quote:
discounts are just not worth it. I did the maths once, and to break even I needed to spend several thousand bucks on merchandise, so that the discounts matched the upgrade fee.
If you plan for 2 trips in the same year, then it's worth it as you save on tickets.
It's also worth it if you stay offsite ($14 savings per day on parking fees)

Quote:
most planes have inflight entertainment, check with your airline before booking.
But be aware that there is no guarantee that your personnal screen will work during the flight, or that the whole system will work.
Always plan as if there was no personnal entertainment on your flight, don't rely solely on the fact that there "should" be inflight entertainment.

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #39
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Am able to take his favourite snacks etc on flight huh?
You are.
Limitations only apply to fluids and gel-like materials.

Be advised that if there are leftovers, you'll either need to toss them, or declare them on your customs form, as there are strict regulations on importing food in the US (the snacks should be allowed in as long as it's not raw meat or fish or fruit, but you'd need to declare them)
As for the security process in the UK or in Scotland, you're good to go (as long as it's not a "liquid")

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #40
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
My son is currently non-verbal, loves airplanes and disney. Sensory wise, he chews alot of things and if someplace is closed in with alot of people and alot of noise he gets cranky, so that's why sitting at the front of the plane, he won't see the crowd and won't be able to kick the seat in front.
We are flying with Thomas Cook.
My son doesn't really understand much, but if he knows that he's going to Disney, he should be fine. Am able to take his favourite snacks etc on flight huh?
My younger daughter has a similar problem and we have tried each time to get a front row seat, sometimes the airlines are really good and understanding if you provide them with their medical diagnosis. Others are not so good. Best thing to do is contact them ASAP before the front row seats are taken.

Our eldest daughter has severe behavioural problems now and we can't take her. Becoming a teenager added to her difficulties and it is not safe for her to fly, but what we always do is take them to buy their "special plane bag" and pick out snacks, any special toys, colouring (our kids love to colour) and now they are older, little one takes her kindle.

It is a very long travel day so about 5 hour into the flight, when it is their usual bedtime, we settle them down, turn off the TV and have them take a little nap because when you arrive in FL the night is still young!

WDW is overstimulating for kids with ASD so plan to take some breaks and have some quiet time and you'll be fine. THere are some rides and attractions that you'll need to make your own judgement call on because they are either loud, dark, crowded etc. Our younger one can manage most rides and attractions, but our elder daughter struggled last year because she doesn't understand that things are "not real". Fireworks and parades can be very difficult due to crowds.

If you have any questions, there are lots of us here that have kids with ASD who will do our best to help.
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: