Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Despicable ME ????

Is it like:
Shrek or Philharmagic - which I am fine on. OR....
Simpsons or Star Tours - which I am .

I really, really want to do this with my family - but it will be the first thing we do on our Universal Day and I don't want to spend the rest of it green.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

It's more like Star Tours or Simpsons - you sit in a vehicle that shakes around in place, in synchronization to the movie, though not as rough as Simpsons. There are stationary seats as well so you'd just be watching a 3D movie - it sounds like that's what you need.
hpriamson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Herbie
DIS Veteran

They offer a non moving section. It is a rather unusual ride, because its like a whole bunch of little simulators in front of a big screen. I dont do well with a lot of simulators.....the arctic one at sea world kills me....but DM was fine for me.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I find that because you are in a large auditorium with a bunch of small moving vehicles, it is easy to just look away from the screen if you begin to feel nauseous. It is really just like a large movie theatre with a bunch of little ride vehicles attached where the seats are.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpriamson View Post
It's more like Star Tours or Simpsons - you sit in a vehicle that shakes around in place, in synchronization to the movie, though not as rough as Simpsons. There are stationary seats as well so you'd just be watching a 3D movie - it sounds like that's what you need.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

It`s not as bad as The Simpsons......I can`t do that one at all I get very sick........

Despicable Me.....I find it to be ok, don`t feel any of the dizziness or nausea I get on Simpsons.

Try it and see, as damo says it`s an easy screen to look away from.

Hope you enjoy it

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
SEPTEMBER/OCT 2015 18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

DW does not do well with 3D motion. But with DM she does fine. She will shut her eyes on a few parts that mess with here.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
mischief32
Mouseketeer

I just do not put the 3d glasses on and I am fine. I just get a bit of a headache if I do. Simpsons give me a barf bag. I have riden it with my eyes closed.
mischief32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

It's a mix due to there being a stationary row in the front. I'd try the motion seats if I were you.

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all your advice. I have spent my life telling my kids "you won't know until you try it." ... So I guess I am going to give it a try...
Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Sorry to hijack, but how bad is Simpsons? I can do Star Tours, but not Mission Space. Never been to Universal yet.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Sorry to hijack, but how bad is Simpsons? I can do Star Tours, but not Mission Space. Never been to Universal yet.

Thanks.
truth be told I love the ride but it is rough and nausea inducing.If you get the back row of the "vehicle" its not bad since there is a head rest.But the other rows have none and I ended up getting really sick .I will ride again but taking dramamine this time
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:

Thanks.
Star Tours makes me way more sick than Simpsons.

And contrary to RMulieri, if I sit in the front row of Simpsons, I am perfectly fine but the back row makes me slightly nauseous.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
KorbensMomma
Mouseketeer

Have you ever been to Dollywood? There is a Polar Express ride just like it.
The Simpsons made me super nauseous, but stationary IMax sometimes makes me nauseous. As for the ride vehicles I turned as far as I could and locked my vision on the red exit sign.
I didn't know it had stationary seats. I wonder if they have the non 3d glasses, I think I might have been ok if I had the other glasses.
KorbensMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Thank you for all your advice. I have spent my life telling my kids "you won't know until you try it." ... So I guess I am going to give it a try...
You could do the first ride in the stationary seats, so you know how the 3D effects hit you, and you can turn around to see the amount of movement the moving seats have. Then if you liked it and want to try the other seats, ride again.

Quote:

Thanks.
For me, all it takes to stop any effects from Simpsons is to close my eyes. There's not all that much movement going on with the ride vehicle; it's almost all mind tricks from the screen. Just like closing your eyes on Soarin' helps, doing the same on Simpsons helps.

When I sit in the front seats, I can see over the sides of the ride vehicle, and can see the other ride vehicles in the auditorium. That's fascinating for me, because the first time I was in the back and didn't realize I was in such a room! What can I say, I'm short! On Soarin' if I don't want to close my eyes but need assurance I'm not actually hanggliding, I turn my head and see all the other people watching it with me. If I'm in the front of Simpsons I can do the same.

Spiderman, on the other hand, has a lot more movement in the vehicle itself (though closing eyes still does help to an extent).

ETA...you can do ST but not MS? Have you done the spinning or non spinning MS? For me there's almost no movement on the non-spinning Mission Space, but LOTS of movement with ST, so that just seems backwards. (says the confusing person who turns green half the time she rides Forbidden Journey but does just fine the other half....)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: