Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,188

New plan maybe. Anyone done split stay at poly then CR?

I really want to stay at the cr but our girls loved the poly this year but it was our first time onsite but maybe that's what they loved! I am contemplating starting at the poly for three nights and then moving to the CR TPV for four nights to end our trip. Has anyone done this before? Would it be a pain?

I am so worried they won't like the cr as much as they did the poly?!
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,474

We considered a split stay but pricing is cheaper the longer you stay under one reservation, it would cost our family about $400-500 more to switch resorts so it was not worth it tous, if pricing were the same, I would do it, especially at those two...easy to get back and forth!
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
princessap
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
We considered a split stay but pricing is cheaper the longer you stay under one reservation, it would cost our family about $400-500 more to switch resorts so it was not worth it tous, if pricing were the same, I would do it, especially at those two...easy to get back and forth!
Why was it more? For the dining? I thought the tickets would be okay from our first reservation but I could be wrong. I wouldn't do it for that price difference either.

We loved the convenience of the monorail so it will be one of these for sure but I am having such a hard time deciding. Augh.
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 5,725

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I really want to stay at the cr but our girls loved the poly this year but it was our first time onsite but maybe that's what they loved! I am contemplating starting at the poly for three nights and then moving to the CR TPV for four nights to end our trip. Has anyone done this before? Would it be a pain?

I am so worried they won't like the cr as much as they did the poly?!
We have done a couple split stays and WDW makes it easy peasy to do. We normally have bell services come get our luggage, check out of resort 1, head to a park for the day, head to resort 2 and check in around 5 or 6, once in the room call bell services and have them bring up our luggage.


Now because you know your girls loved the poly might I suggest starting off at CR. Then if they don't really like it, they will have the Poly to look forward to.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
princessap
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
We have done a couple split stays and WDW makes it easy peasy to do. We normally have bell services come get our luggage, check out of resort 1, head to a park for the day, head to resort 2 and check in around 5 or 6, once in the room call bell services and have them bring up our luggage.


Now because you know your girls loved the poly might I suggest starting off at CR. Then if they don't really like it, they will have the Poly to look forward to.
Thanks! I am torn over what to do. I am curious why the pp said it was more money to do split stay. That would factor in to my decision.
I really want TPV in the cr so we will have to see
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
chasgoose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 469

If your heart is set on the split stay, you might as well do it. It won't be too difficult to do since they are close to each other. If I were you, I would schedule a breakfast ADR at the 2nd resort on the move day so you can get the check-in out of the way before you hit the parks. Then they can text you when your room is ready so you know when you can head back to the hotel (also this ups your chances of getting the new room faster).
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
bleeps
DIS Veteran
 
bleeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: An hour west of Boston, MA
Posts: 2,266

We did that once -- started at Poly, moved to CR. We regretted it -- even though we had stayed at CR previously and loved it, we missed the Poly. We found the pool, the overall atmosphere, etc, to add a real extra sparkle that CR just doesn't have.
__________________

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
polyfor4
Mouseketeer
 
polyfor4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 297

I would do CR and then the Poly since you already know your family loves the Poly. It's less of a gamble that way. I've stayed at both and I wouldn't count on absolutely loving CR if your family loves the pool etc. at the Poly just because there is no comparison. We always do split stays on longer trips and it works really well for our family. It often saves us money and it makes the trip seem longer. But we also save the Poly for last because we know its our favorite. We drooled over the Poly for years and we found that we loved it even more when we were able to stay there. With that being said, I don't have that desire to stay anywhere else and every time we have, we end up wishing we had just stayed where we knew we loved. For that reason, I would play it safe and save it for the end of the trip. Who knows you could end up staying first at CR and not wanting to leave!
__________________

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR


polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,523

I'd just stay at the poly and visit the CR and eat there. It is so much easier to stay at one resort. You'd have to check out at 11 and the other resort would not be ready until 3. The last two times at the CR our room was not ready till 5pm.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
2003 - CR
2004 - Disneyland/CR/Shades of Green
2005 - DoubleTree WDW/ POP/ Shades of Green
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
hgeisler
DIS Veteran
 
hgeisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lone Jack,MO
Posts: 871

If you are doing tpv at CR, I would do the Poly first, then CR. Yes, the pool is better at the Poly, but the view of the castle is awesome! Plus, if you do the MK on your departure day, you can just walk back instead of waiting for the monorail. We went from the Poly to the CR, and we loved itBut...I still think you should just give the CR a try, since you really would like to do it! You'll be at Disney, you're kids are gonna be happy no matter what

Last edited by hgeisler; 05-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
hgeisler
DIS Veteran
 
hgeisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lone Jack,MO
Posts: 871

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap

Thanks! I am torn over what to do. I am curious why the pp said it was more money to do split stay. That would factor in to my decision.
I really want TPV in the cr so we will have to see
It's going to be cheaper if you have more than the cheapest room category at the Poly. The lagoon view rooms there are more expensive than the tpv rooms at CR.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran
 
Perditamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 3,066

If you are getting the dining plan for both parts of your trip, then it is more expensive, as you have to purchase tickets with each package, instead of benefitting from a single ticket purchase for more days. This does not apply to room only/ AP holders/military discount. Happy planing!
__________________
Perditamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,135

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I thought the tickets would be okay from our first reservation but I could be wrong. I wouldn't do it for that price difference either.
You are correct. If you book room + tickets with the first resort and room only for the second, your park tickets will be good for the whole trip as tickets are good for 14 days from first use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Now because you know your girls loved the poly might I suggest starting off at CR. Then if they don't really like it, they will have the Poly to look forward to.
I agree with this. Everyone may love the CR, but since you already know you love the Poly, I would end there just in case the CR isn't what you expect it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perditamarie View Post
If you are getting the dining plan for both parts of your trip, then it is more expensive, as you have to purchase tickets with each package, instead of benefitting from a single ticket purchase for more days. This does not apply to room only/ AP holders/military discount. Happy planing!
This is one reason why split stays come out more expensive than staying at one resort. Another reason might be that 1 resort has no discount or a lesser discount than the other, making the trip more expensive splitting the stay rather than staying at 1 resort the whole time.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
princessap
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
It's going to be cheaper if you have more than the cheapest room category at the Poly. The lagoon view rooms there are more expensive than the tpv rooms at CR.
thats what I thought too. we would do std view at the poly. we enjoyed tokelau location and the std view was fine. i was initially thinking of garden wing at cr but now think i would only do tpv there or else all at poly.

why would it be more expensive to do split stay??
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
hgeisler
DIS Veteran
 
hgeisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lone Jack,MO
Posts: 871

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
thats what I thought too. we would do std view at the poly. we enjoyed tokelau location and the std view was fine. i was initially thinking of garden wing at cr but now think i would only do tpv there or else all at poly.

why would it be more expensive to do split stay??
We switched over to a split stay when we were there. We had a package too. We saved three hundred dollars switching to CR
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.