Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I LOVE POR! It's my fav Mod followed closely by CSR. The mansion style give the place a wonderfully relaxing feel. The gardens are gorgeous. The main pool has this secluded feel.

You have the piano player in the recepcion area in the evenings. QS dining very good.

I had a choice and for my May trip got CSR because of price and a wonderful experience my last trip. However, POR is home to me. :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

POR is our first choice. It's extremely clean & has beautiful & perfectly-groomed grounds. The food court is the best on Disney property.

The refurbished rooms are well planned - we have used the Alligator section handicapped roll-in shower room several times already. We're going back in July. We can't wait - we love it there!

POR seems to be special to a lot of us. They must be doing something right!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I believe the Royal Rooms cost more than a regular riverview, so in that sense it really was an upgrade. I would normally gripe about not getting a view I paid for, because view is important to me, but the Royal Rooms are so neat, that change is one of the few times I might let it slide. Assuming the room was facing the river or pool or gardens, rather than the parking lot, that is, which this one apparently was.
You're right - Royal Rooms do cost more. If we hadn't been exhausted from driving for 17 hours, I would have requested to be moved to a different room. The royal room was wasted on us. It was just DH and I. I truly would have preferred to have my riverview room that I had paid for (which, again, technically was because it did look at the river, but you had to do some acrobatics to actually see it through the trees ), but I just didn't have the energy to wait for another room.
JeanetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

The Quiet/Leisure pools were empty both times we visited. That was in October and December. Time of year clearly affects their use. We're northerners, so yes, my DD did swim one day in December and several days in October and was not cold. We were on the 2nd floor of Oak Manor but the side closest to Magnolia and were riverfront directly in full view of the boat launch. Maybe we just lucked out.

I'm sure they thought the upgrade would be your preference, but I can see why Magnolia Riverfront would be what you may have really wanted. There DEFINITELY are a lot of families at POR, it has a good food court.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

Looking forward to our first stay at POR this summer. Two middle-aged Texans in a royal room!

We've been to POR before to see Yeehaw Bob. Although we only had one meal there, the food court seemed nice.

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #36
CaraMiaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc571 View Post
You should pay the extra for a garden view - it's totally worth it. Not that the actual view is worth the money, but if you look at the room choices on www.portorleans.org you'll see that "garden view" gets you a much better location.

We love POR and will probably never stay anywhere else on property. We like to book a garden view and then request Magnolia Terrace. Best location, IMO.
Yes! I just noticed this tonight about Riverside! Those standard rooms are all on the outer perimeter! Which, I guess could be a good thing if you have a car and don't plan on eating in the food court much I guess.

Very anxiously awaiting our next Disney vacation, which could be either March, April, or May 2016, Oct or Nov 2015, or this spring, if I have my way.
Sigh.

-------------------------
April '88 with high school marching band Tokyo DL!
May '99 with sister's family, DW Dixie Landings (POR-R)
May '00 with work DW Beach Club
May '01 with work DL Grand Californian
May '02 with work DW Boardwalk
May '03 with work DW Yacht Club
May '04 with work DW Beach Club

Nov '13 first family Disney vacation! DW POR-R/AoA Cars
CaraMiaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
alc571
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraMiaBelle View Post

Yes! I just noticed this tonight about Riverside! Those standard rooms are all on the outer perimeter! Which, I guess could be a good thing if you have a car and don't plan on eating in the food court much I guess.
Yep! We actually downgraded from a standard view royal room, to a garden view standard room just for the better location. We requested a room in magnolia terrace close to the river path last time. We were given a great room close to the path, and close to the parking lot for the mansion beside it (Acadian?? The one with the royal rooms). We were a quick walk to the main pool/dining, and super close to the movies on the lawn. We parked our car in the lot for the mansion beside us, and it was a very quick walk.

We love POR. I miss it so much I bought the soundtrack they play on loop just to feel like I'm there!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraMiaBelle View Post
There are standard rooms that are close to the food court. They do all have what would end up being a parking lot view, but that is what a standard, non garden view is. But you may get lucky and get one close to the main buildings. You can always ask.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: