Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
Disney Fool

The name says it all

To the OP, the last two weeks of April are high vacation weeks for All Of New England...perhaps the timing of your visit had a lot to do with the amount of kids at your resort. I just got off the Fantasy and it was packed with kids and oddly enough a lot of families from abroad. So it may be the time of year and the POR may have been a featured resort for foreign travelers. JMHO.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I see no need for THREE people to belittle another poster's answer - just for a difference of opinion. Thank you.

We teach our children to play nice - to be kind - to listen to the other person & accept them for who they are. We teach them to try to see the other child's point of view on questions & answers. Good lessons, aren't they?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
alc571
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVig View Post
I'm actually debating between these two resorts right now! I have a 5 year old (or she will be 5 at the time of our visit at least!), so maybe POR will be better. All depends on what's available with the 25% off discount come Thursday morning.

It looks like there are no standards at POR available for my travel dates, but I could go with Garden View. Assuming that, it would cost me about $40 to stay at POR versus CSR. Would you say the extra disney-fication of the resort is worth it with a 5 year old?

I do think the pool at CSR looks like more fun....
You should pay the extra for a garden view - it's totally worth it. Not that the actual view is worth the money, but if you look at the room choices on www.portorleans.org you'll see that "garden view" gets you a much better location.

We love POR and will probably never stay anywhere else on property. We like to book a garden view and then request Magnolia Terrace. Best location, IMO.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
I see no need for THREE people to belittle another poster's answer - just for a difference of opinion. Thank you.

We teach our children to play nice - to be kind - to listen to the other person & accept them for who they are. We teach them to try to see the other child's point of view on questions & answers. Good lessons, aren't they?
Original poster here. I didn't see anyone belittling anyone else's opinions here. I never meant for my original post to cause an uproar on the resorts board. It's just my opinion. While I think POR was beautiful and enjoyed the grounds and the food court, I personally just preferred Coronado. Just my opinion. It's not gospel. I even said that's what is great about Disney - there is something for everyone. I never said I didn't like kids, I specifically stated that the kids didn't bother us. POR is a beautiful resort -- I just didn't fall in love with it the way I did with CSR.
JeanetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

Was the cajun chicken sandwich spicy? We are doing a split stay 4 nights BC and 3 nights POR in the RGRs. Looking forward to it especially a nice food court after trying awful Deluxe Food courts.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
Was the cajun chicken sandwich spicy? We are doing a split stay 4 nights BC and 3 nights POR in the RGRs. Looking forward to it especially a nice food court after trying awful Deluxe Food courts.
I had that sandwich twice. The first was spicier than the second, but neither were so spicy that they made me sweat or anything. Very tasty sandwich.
JeanetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteK View Post
Original poster here. I didn't see anyone belittling anyone else's opinions here. I never meant for my original post to cause an uproar on the resorts board. It's just my opinion. While I think POR was beautiful and enjoyed the grounds and the food court, I personally just preferred Coronado. Just my opinion. It's not gospel. I even said that's what is great about Disney - there is something for everyone. I never said I didn't like kids, I specifically stated that the kids didn't bother us. POR is a beautiful resort -- I just didn't fall in love with it the way I did with CSR.
You were not the problem. All of your post is perfectly written & non-insulting. The belittling was not caused by you, and my statements were not meant for you. I was totally misquoted by others, & statements were made about children being at the resorts. They were not polite statements.

You did nothing wrong. Thanks for caring!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great trip. We love POR. I go with my adult daughter and its always our choice for mod when we aren't staying deluxe. Love the mansion section, esp Magnolia Terrace and Acadian House.

Love the boat to DTD, and food court is great. Our fav is the make your own pasta. Next time we will have to try that chicken sandwich!

We have had good luck with the quiet pools. I think they are named quiet cause there's no activities, like the afternoon pool party! Sorry they were so busy. I guess it has to do with the time of year. We go in January and late August when things are less busy. The quiet pools are less crowded then.

You're right, it is a good thing there are many resorts to appeal to people's likes. We visited CSR to check it out for a possible stay, and it just didn't appeal to this middle aged person different strokes for sure!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

DH & I love POR. We just stayed 2 times during April, both in AB buildings 18 & 14. We thoroughly enjoyed the quiet pool by Building 18, but did enjoy the Muddy Rivers Pool Bar by the main pool to relax and people watch. We never made it to the Bar inside the main lobby, but hope to next time. We also took the carriage ride around the resorts with Lori & her horse, Tom. That was super relaxing too. Saw alot of couples doing that & some families. We also loved, loved, loved taking the boats to DTD to wander around & have dinner. Next time we're hoping to stay at Magnolia Terrace in the mansions to see the difference between AB & the mansions. I've stayed at CBR but it was too huge for me. JMHO!

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #25
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post

If that was meant for me, I wasn't belittling anyone. Just trying to joke about the subject a little. And another poster stated the same thing. Please don't read anything mean spirited into posts that were not intended to be!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #26
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

I think if I type "kidding" into a post it means I am KIDDING!!!

(and yes I was kidding...not sure how it was read as belittling)
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #27
JVig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc571 View Post

You should pay the extra for a garden view - it's totally worth it. Not that the actual view is worth the money, but if you look at the room choices on www.portorleans.org you'll see that "garden view" gets you a much better location.

We love POR and will probably never stay anywhere else on property. We like to book a garden view and then request Magnolia Terrace. Best location, IMO.
I'm leaning more and more towards POR despite it being a little more expensive for us. Thanks for your input!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc571 View Post
if you look at the room choices on www.portorleans.org you'll see that "garden view" gets you a much better location.
Thanks for that info. Last time I was there, either they didn't have that feature... or I missed it.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
gogo
DIS Veteran

OP, thanks for writing your review of POR. I agree completely with your assessment of CSR having more of an adult feel. Even though the main pool has a lot of families with kids, playground, etc. it does have a more adult vibe (my opinion).

Even though your room was upgraded at POR, I would have been disappointed if I couldnt see the river from the outside corridor or window. It does cost extra for that classification so I would have probably said something. Although, I guess, it would depend how much I liked the actual room.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
It does cost extra for that classification so I would have probably said something.
I believe the Royal Rooms cost more than a regular riverview, so in that sense it really was an upgrade. I would normally gripe about not getting a view I paid for, because view is important to me, but the Royal Rooms are so neat, that change is one of the few times I might let it slide. Assuming the room was facing the river or pool or gardens, rather than the parking lot, that is, which this one apparently was.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: