Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I saw a woman pay for trying to cut off a scooter this past Sunday at Epcot.

A woman driving a scooter was driving down one of the alley-ways (don't know what else to call it) on the right hand side. There was a large planter in the center with brick work about six inches off the ground.

The scooter was turning left to cross into a store. There was not a single person coming up the sidewalk so the coast was clear. All of a sudden, a woman to the scooter's right, about 20 feet away, decided to make a run for it and cut off the scooter.

The woman on the scooter stopped in time from hitting her, but the woman trying to cut her off apparently didn't know the planter was there. She tripped and went airborne, flying over the planter and landing on the ground on the other side.

She laid there for a few like she was knocked out. I think she may have been drinking. People went to help her and tried to get up but her knee was badly hurt. I'll be she will think twice before doing that again.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
nanadeb
Mouseketeer

My husband and I both use ECV's and finally gave up and bought orange flags from the bike store. They come with flexible poles and the hardware to attaché them to the bottom rear of the ECV. We added different Disney antenna balls to each of the flags. It was the antenna balls that really captured people's attention. We received several delighted comments from CM's, children, and even adults. It also made it much easier to find each other when we got "swallowed up" by the crowds!
nanadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadeb View Post
My husband and I both use ECV's and finally gave up and bought orange flags from the bike store. They come with flexible poles and the hardware to attaché them to the bottom rear of the ECV. We added different Disney antenna balls to each of the flags. It was the antenna balls that really captured people's attention. We received several delighted comments from CM's, children, and even adults. It also made it much easier to find each other when we got "swallowed up" by the crowds!
I like the flag idea, I'm stealing it and having it ready when I go out there. And antenna balls.

I noticed the attention/non-attention aspect in a different way. That story reminded me of an interesting observation I had from last year at DL. My mom and I ended up in WCs and we had volunteers from the family to help push. We'd gone into a store, and my mom and my SIL who was pushing me got distracted at a display. So I took off on my own in the store using my arms. I had been ignored when someone was pushing me, but as soon as I was on my own (but still in a WC), I had people offering to help me reach something (or bring something down to my level), people were getting out of the way more, etc. My experience was only limited to a few stores, but it was so different than what I'd seen a few minutes earlier that it was very noticeable.

So, anyone have any other ideas of how to make the ECVs more visible?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadeb View Post
That's awesome!! If I owned an ECV, I would have it all decked out. My dad has one and it makes me want to get him a flag and antenna ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger&tigerlover View Post
So I took off on my own in the store using my arms. I had been ignored when someone was pushing me, but as soon as I was on my own (but still in a WC), I had people offering to help me reach something (or bring something down to my level), people were getting out of the way more, etc. My experience was only limited to a few stores, but it was so different than what I'd seen a few minutes earlier that it was very noticeable.
Now, that's interesting. Since my ECV experience, I have been meaning to talk to my WC bound son about his experiences. I only talk to him on the phone since he lives 1,000 miles away so the subject hasn't come up. I hope since he drives himself in a manual WC, I hope he has had people be helpful rather than ignore him.

We do have a family WDW trip scheduled for November. It will be his first time on most of the rides since becoming a paraplegic. Thanks to info I've gotten here, he is looking forward to it.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewardsinlife View Post
Oh so very true...though I have had positive and negative experiences In a manual WC with a family member pushing.

Positive experience:
One of the best experiences is that you're at the level of a lot of kids' faces, and you get to enjoy their excited reactions even more than their parents probably do!
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #36
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
One of the best experiences is that you're at the level of a lot of kids' faces, and you get to enjoy their excited reactions even more than their parents probably do!
I had not thought of that! Thanks! That will give me something (other than Disney itself) to look at and look forward to when I'm there solo in an ECV, both for the first time.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #37
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Thank you for your post! I use an ECV - and I have used the words "Am I invisible?" many times.

The funniest time was in Epcot several years ago. I was on my ECV. A French gentleman in his 20's was walking with two friends, looking at the Epcot map. A short time later - he was IN MY LAP, apologizing over & over again!

We all got a good laugh!

In answer to your post - yes! You ARE invisible on an ECV!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #38
Piper
DIS Veteran

I have often joked that I could rob a bank on my ECV and no one would see me do it!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I have often joked that I could rob a bank on my ECV and no one would see me do it!
Now THAT is hysterically funny!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #40
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerish View Post
I forgot about the scenic view from the ECV --- you are eye level with lots of adult backsides.
I am a full time wheelchair user - I call this "rear eye view." Not something you really want to see all day!

Yes, I am invisible. Unless I can be useful to a person, then, I can be seen and touched. I have been leaned on, stood on, and one person even used my push handles when dancing at a concert once. So, yes, my wheelchair can also be a stripper pole.

It is more than becoming invisible when you use a wheelchair. You cease to be a person. You notice even that foul article in the NY Post kept talking about the "Handicapped," not the PERSON with the disability as if we become the disability.

Sometimes I feel we are more than disabled, we actually cease to be, and just become wheels, illness, and inconvenience.

The other option is that we become the cute new puppy in the room, with everyone wanting me to do "tricks" in my wheelchair. Next time someone asks me to do tricks I am going to start barking and ask for a cookie.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #41
DisneyFreaks
Don't get me started about those darn busses!

This thread is absolutely why I do not use my ECV at Disney. It's bad enough in my WC but at least I'm not getting the stress. My DD usually pushes me and she can be quite verbal if someone starts being nasty after they have walked into me. I had one man who was trying to take a picture keep moving backward toward me. We kept trying to avoid him but he just kept coming. When he finally fell on me he actually started yelling at me. It can be so embarrassing. I'm starting to dread each trip and I love WDW.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I So, yes, my wheelchair can also be a stripper pole.
Did they at least offer to share their dollar bills take with you?

Actually, it never ceases to amaze me how people that are complete strangers feel it is perfectly acceptable to lean on the back of the scooter. Not to mention how tempting of a seat it becomes when stowed on the bus. Think about it people, if it was safe to sit on don't you think I would be staying on the cushy captain chair and not the hard, narrow bus seat?
1972 Offsite 1985 Offsite 1999 Contemp North Garden Wing 2000 YC Concierge 2001 Disneyland Hotel Concierge 2003 Disney Wonder 2003 POFQ 2004 Dolphin 2005 Disney Magic 2006 PORS/ Disney Wonder 2010 ASMu 2011 ASMu 2012 ASMu 2012 AKL 2012 ASSp 2013 BC 2013 POP
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #43
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

I've had this problem as well. My husband nearly punched a guy on a boat in Epcot who sat down on the arm of my ecv. I had no idea that this was happening to other people too!

I like the flag idea, I wonder if it would help my experience at all. I leave for WDW again in three weeks maybe I need to head over to Toys R Us and see what I can find. I want a pink one
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #44
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Yes, I am invisible. Unless I can be useful to a person, then, I can be seen and touched.
Exactly.

This part just blows my mind. Having a woman sit on my leg was just beyond bizarre. If I was sitting on a bench, would she have felt that was acceptable?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
Exactly.

This part just blows my mind. Having a woman sit on my leg was just beyond bizarre. If I was sitting on a bench, would she have felt that was acceptable?
Hmm. I wonder if I need to take a few hat pins with me to encourage them to move on....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: