Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

This may sound pretty silly but it could also be that people are programmed to think "pedestrians have the right of way". Maybe you aren't looked at as a pedestrian but someone in a vehicle. The thought all vehicles must yield to pedestrians. Maybe? It would make it very hard in disney.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Piper
DIS Veteran

What I find amusing is when a waiter will ask a child with me what I want to eat. Excuse me--who do you think is paying for this--the 9 year old or the adult?
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Tehanna
It's FISH EXTENDER, not Fish Exchange!

I have had this experience at both DL and WDW. People jumping between me and my husband, who will sometimes walk in front of me to find a decent path to our destination.

Kids are actually pretty easy. Smiling and saying "I love your Mickey Ears" or something like that relaxes them and helps them see me as a regular person, and I'm a little less scary.

I am wondering if decorating your ECV helps at all. Since we will be there in December, I saw another thread with some fun ideas for decorating the basket with Christmas lights, a cute sign on the back, etc.

I like the idea of the lighted balloon. I'm totally stealing that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Tehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
What I find amusing is when a waiter will ask a child with me what I want to eat. Excuse me--who do you think is paying for this--the 9 year old or the adult?
Piper, people will often direct questions to my husband. His response is, "My wife can speak. You should ask her." I love him for that!

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc one day View Post
Both are funny, but I probably laugh more at the second type. Yeah, I'm a runaway train going to run over your child because I have no idea what I'm doing. I usually say something like "I promise, I wasn't going to hit you" with a little laugh.
My comment is usually " I don't run over children, adults are another story" with a grin and a laugh.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerish View Post
I forgot about the scenic view from the ECV --- you are eye level with lots of adult backsides.
Not usually the kind of backsides you would want to be level with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
This may sound pretty silly but it could also be that people are programmed to think "pedestrians have the right of way". Maybe you aren't looked at as a pedestrian but someone in a vehicle. The thought all vehicles must yield to pedestrians. Maybe? It would make it very hard in disney.
It would be nearly impossible for an ECV to do that at Disney, for sure (they might never move). I use a manual wheelchair, so there is nothing about seeing me move around that would make someone think "vehicle". I'm human-powered just like someone walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
This type of thing really frustrated me when I first starting using a wheelchair. People would frequently talk to me like I had mental difficulties in addition to the physical. I don't notice it as much anymore, not sure if I just automatically ignore it now.

This is particularly frustrating for people I have known who have CP. Sometimes they talk differently, but they are smarter than the person to whom they are talking. It's a physical problem with speech, not an intellectual problem for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehanna View Post
Kids are actually pretty easy. Smiling and saying "I love your Mickey Ears" or something like that relaxes them and helps them see me as a regular person, and I'm a little less scary.
Kids can really be easy. Once you talk to them about something the are interested in (like Disney ), they can open up quickly.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
Carnator
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=dvc one day;48315667]That's one of my favorites. I had a woman who was looking the opposite direction she was walking and ran into me while I was sitting completely still. She turned back and looked at me like I had done something to her. It was hard not to laugh right at her.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I was just sitting in my ECV, (didn't even have the key in) lady t-bones me. Then she went crazy yelling at me. It was really funny when her husband explained to her it was her fault and apologized.

me -- DS -- DD --
Carnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehanna View Post
I am wondering if decorating your ECV helps at all. Since we will be there in December, I saw another thread with some fun ideas for decorating the basket with Christmas lights, a cute sign on the back, etc.

I like the idea of the lighted balloon. I'm totally stealing that.
I'll be there early December, and I'm renting an ECV for the full stay so I'd have time to decorate the ECV. It's my first time with an ECV at Disney and I'm going solo as well. Yes, that's a lot to take in at one visit, but I've put off going to WDW for too many years because I was hesitant to do it solo. I'm determined I *will* go, and *will* enjoy myself.

I have several friends that require a wheelchair/ECV, so I'm used to seeing them ignored (no, it's not just at Disney), and I'm trying to mentally brace myself for that by practicing when I can.

However, any ideas for making the ECV more visible to others would be Greatly Appreciated!!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

Quote:
I forgot about the scenic view from the ECV --- you are eye level with lots of adult backsides.
And you know exactly how many young girls should add an inch or two to their pants! I hate seeing "cheeks" hanging down. Makes me want to have an umbrella handy to poke and ask if they took a look at their backside in the mirror before heading out for the day!

I use a manual wheelchair with my daughter pushing and it does make us pretty invisible. She hates it when we are going downhill and people walk in front. She is afraid that one of these days she isn't going to be able to stop me and I will get hurt.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
pbrim
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not to mention I am constantly amazed at the "adjustments" people feel free to make in public.

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

It's definitely a visual thing and what I refer to is unintentional obliviousness! People are looking for people and ECVs and WCs get lost in the shuffle. I did find it easier to notice the ECV's with a flag attached to the back or a balloon. People tend not to look down, I saw this in spades at WDW. Little kids were getting trampled left and right. I've always said, animals know how to move in herds much better than people know how to move in crowds. I think people unrealistically believe ECV's and WC using people should 'yield the right of way' which is dumb, especially if they were there first!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
It's definitely a visual thing and what I refer to is unintentional obliviousness! People are looking for people and ECVs and WCs get lost in the shuffle.
Heck, half the time people are so focused on themselves and their destination that they aren't even looking for other people at their own eye level!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Heck, half the time people are so focused on themselves and their destination that they aren't even looking for other people at their own eye level!
Ain't that the truth! I kept saying to DH, whatever happened to keep to the right??? People are walking around looking at all that is WDW with their heads looking up and run smack dab into somebody else. I don't know how many times I almost collided because people just stop short in front of you, nothing even thinking for a second there might be 40,000 people behind them! LOL

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
Skmcpher
Earning My Ears

From my experiences, the OP is not alone

I've rented a manual wheelchair for my last two trips to WDW and had a family member push me throughout the parks. During both trips (January 2010 and September 2012) I encountered many of the same things the original poster did. I have had people walk directly toward me, see me coming, and refuse to move out of the way until the very last second, like they expect me (or, more precisely, my wheelchair pusher) to move out of their path. I have had adults and/or children stand directly in front of me, blocking my view of both parades and fireworks shows, even when I had been parked at my location for quite a while before they got there. I have had people walk directly in front of me, stop suddenly, and get accidentally hit by the wheels on my chair, and then turn around and glare at me for hitting them.

I wasn't sure if this behavior was WDW related or not, but I confirmed that it was not on a recent family trip to Washington, DC. We rented a mobility scooter for that trip to relieve family members from having to push me and to give me some independence, and for that, the scooter was great. However, I saw a lot of the same behavior at the sights in DC as I did in WDW. People walk directly towards you and see you coming but don't move out of the way. They walk diagonally right in front of the scooter to get around, often tripping over the wheels. They hop onto elevators and leave no room in them for my scooter even though I had been waiting for the elevator before them. It is quite frustrating to say the least.

We will be returning to WDW this September and this time we will be bringing my newly purchased mobility scooter with us. I am very excited about our visit but I do also look at it with a bit of trepidation due to the issues I have experienced in the past.
Skmcpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Oh so very true...though I have had positive and negative experiences In a manual WC with a family member pushing.

Positive experience:
-Someone who actually IS paying attention to their surroundings will grab someone wo is ..well let's say .."captured by the Disney magic and unaware of anything else" ..and pull them out of the way..and usually will apologize or strike up a conversation.

- I have had more children steer clear and pull their parent out of the way! :rotfl

- great conversations while waiting with CMs for rides

Negative experience:
The hardest I think are people that will blatantly walk right in front of you..with less than a foot clearance and stop dead in their tracks.
This causes my family member to halt abruptly..which if I am not paying attention can throw me straight out of the wheelchair.

- refusing to talk to the WC user. It is very intriguing to me, that once a person is in a WC, ESP. A manual one with a pusher, the person is automatically 'mute' on their opinions. I have only had this happen a couple times at Disney..always by guests...never a CM. I had this happen to me the other day..though I wasn't at Disney..but think it is an interesting story so I will share.

Had surgery on May 1st for removal of large cysts from severe stage 4 endometriosis. Anyway...was doing well and then I started to downhill. Fever, nausea...turns out I have infection. Anyway, I had to go to urgent care to get it checked out. By the time I walked down the long hall I looked pretty tired I guess...you would too after only a week, after major surgery...not to mention it wa 98 degrees.. so I get to the end of the hall. The nurse Takes one look at me..says don't move as she runs down the hall to grab a WC. I really was ok but.lwhatever..they didn't want me to pass out I will sit in it. there were people there seeing that I was standing fine there and talking to my mom. The minute I sat in that chair..I disappeared. To the nurse...to the people in the waiting room. It was incredible! The nurse: when is her birthday...blah..ok I will let her slide a little as the desk is not WC accessible and it was kind of hard to see her way up over the desk. But the other people...oh what does she have..is she alright? Whenever they did this I answered directly...I am fine. I had surgery. I then think to myself ...you can talk to me...I am 25 years old..very capable of speaking...and have a masters degree. Why did the second I sat in a chair with wheels I became incapable of having a conversation with you? :

Anyway..it is frustrating to say the least. But kind of fun when you scare people as you roll up behind them and say excuse me I would like to get through. guess we will just have to work on our patience!

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: