Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #31
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I'd missed loads of updates! I love all your photo captions.

Jo's spreadsheet looks a lot like mine.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #32
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 8 - Back to the Future (World)

Halfway through our Disney holiday, and this is where things take a slight turn for the worse. Dun dun duuuun.

More on that later, let’s start at the beginning of Day 8.

Isabella woke up once in the night because she was hot and after I eventually got her back to sleep she ended up sleeping till about 8.30.

Jo and I woke up before that and had some coffee and got ready. When Isabella woke up she had some porridge and then the three of us headed to Epcot. Janet and Ivor wanted to visit a different park today as they only had a few days left till they went home.

When we got to Epcot, which is our favourite park by the way - I don’t know whether I’d mentioned that - we headed to France on the World Showcase and had a croque monsieur, a Napoleon and a coffee in the new Les Halles Bakery. We really enjoyed the food and the decor.

Les Halles

Notre petite fille

Paris, Florida

Hands up if you love Disney

After that, we headed back to Future World and went on Jo’s favourite ride... Journey into Imagination with Figment. Afterwards Isabella enjoyed making music in ImageWorks before we had a wander around Innoventions and took her on Spaceship Earth.

As it was now lunchtime we decided to go to Sunshine Seasons as we enjoyed it when we went there earlier in the week: http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show....php?p=8403221

This time around Jo and I had the same thing - Turkey and Monterrey Jack on Ciabatta with Chipotle Mayonnaise and Potato Salad. It’s very nice!

With lunch done we decided to leave Epcot, just as the weather turned from very hot to cold and drizzly. On the way back to the resort we stopped at Publix to get some supplies, Isabella fell asleep in the car again so Jo went shopping on her own again.

When we got back to the resort we got ourselves a drink in our refillable resort mugs and headed back to our room where Isabella played for a couple of hours and we got to relax before dinner.

Ivor took Jo by surprise!

Shops on the Boardwalk

A club on the Boardwalk

We hadn’t seen Ivor and Janet all day, which was probably a nice break for them! Dinner was at Kouzzina at Boardwalk. This was going to be our first visit to Boardwalk, even though Jo and I had talked about going there for a few years but somehow never got round to it. After having a walk round for half an hour or so before our reservation, it felt like we hadn’t really been missing anything, and I won’t be heading back there in a hurry. The food at the restaurant was fantastic though, the best I’d had so far, and the restaurant itself had a nice atmosphere.

Me: Fishermans stew / Baklava

Jo: Kouzzina Trio (Lasagna, Lamb burger, Chicken) / Loukoumades (Greek doughnuts)

Jan: Wood-grilled Rib Eye Steak

Ivor: Wood-grilled Rib Eye Steak

Unfortunately Isabella didn't really eat anything and was very clingy. We thought she was tired as she hadn’t slept in the car.

Having the time of their lives...

Isabella kept nanny occupied

"Round and round the garden..."

Ivor got a photo of the Epcot fireworks

After dinner Janet and Ivor decided to head to Epcot and watch Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (whenever I read that title I always say it in the dramatic American accent voiceover they use at the park!) and we headed home.

Isabella was really tired and when we got to our room she was suddenly sick. Twice. We cleaned her up and eventually got her to bed. Unfortunately she was sick four more times in the night. We were very worried as she’d never been ill before.

Last edited by stewie; 07-04-2013 at 06:33 AM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #33
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Hope Isabella gets better quickly.

Give the Boardwalk another chance, sometimes they have magicians and such preforming.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #34
stewie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Hope Isabella gets better quickly.

Give the Boardwalk another chance, sometimes they have magicians and such preforming.
Thanks Chilly. We are going back in January so perhaps we will.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
laurab84
Mouseketeer

hurry up with the next up date! I'm addicted to this thread. hope Isabella is ok. Xx

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
laurab84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #36
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 9 - Shop 'til You... Get Thrown Up On

One thing I've realised about this day is that a) I didn't make enough notes and b) I didn't take enough photos, which doesn't make for an exciting trip report!

Oh well, too late to change that now, so here we go!

Today was to be our first shopping day of the holiday, which based on our previous eight visits is very late in the holiday.

Unfortunately Isabella was feeling unwell after last nights bout of sickness and we were a little worried. We hoped that a more relaxing day away from the park would be a good idea.

After a quick breakfast of porridge and toast in the room we headed to Premium Outlets International Drive formerly known as Prime Outlets which in turn was formerly known as Belz, which is what Jo still calls it.

As far as shopping trips go it was pretty unsuccessful. I dont think we bought anything apart from a pair of little adidas trainers for Isabella. We split up and shopped on our own and had agreed to meet Janet & Ivor in the food court for lunch. The mall was very busy and we had Five Guys burgers for lunch, which were pretty good.

Isabella liked the taste of her new trainers

Unfortunately the shopping trip ended prematurely when Isabella, who was in the Ergo baby carrier at the time, was sick on herself and Jo.

We headed back to the resort soon after and she was sick again in the car.

As tomorrow was Janet and Ivors last day, tonight would be their last night. We had originally planned to got to Saana at Animal Kingdom Villas  Kidani Village bit we decided to cancel because of Isabella. Instead, Janet & Ivor went to The Turf Club Bar & Grill which is on our resort, and they really enjoyed it. I think they both had steak, which they thought was one of the best meals theyd had all holiday.

For our dinner, I drove to Downtown Disney to get us Earl of Sandwich. What we thought would be a quick trip ended up taking about an hour and a half! Downtown Disney was ridiculously busy and I ended having to park in the West Side car park and walk all the way to Market Place - which if youve ever been to Downtown Disney youll realise is quite a slap, especially when the place is crowded.

When I finally got to Earl of Sandwich I had to wait about 15 minutes to get served as well. Having said that, the food is exceptionally nice, and Im lucky that I now work in Smithfield in London about five minutes walk from the Earl of Sandwich on Fleet Street - I have to resist the temptation to go there every day for lunch!

After a later than expected dinner we got Isabella to bed and she was sick again once in the night. We were still worried, as you can imagine, but fortunately she was drinking lots so there was no danger of her getting dehydrated.

We hadn't found her a hat whilst shopping so Isabella decided to improvise
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #37
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 10 - ...And Then There Were Three

This was Janet and Ivor’s last day. Isabella was sick again in the morning and wouldn’t drink much, which was very worrying. We talked about taking her to the hospital but decided to wait to see how she was during the day.

Janet and Ivor met us at our room as they wanted to drop their suitcases off. They had to be out of their room by 11 and they weren’t getting the Magical Express back to the airport until about 2.30 for their early evening flight back to a very snowy England!

Isabella thought her new snowboard would come in handy when we got home

This is a very pretty photo that requires no words... oops

We thought Isabella might sleep in her pram on the walk over to Downtown Disney but she didn’t. By the time we got over there it was lunch time. It was a Saturday and Downtown Disney was very busy. We discussed where to go for lunch and ended up back at Wolfgang Puck Express in Marketplace where we went on Day 4.

Me: Roasted Seasonal Vegetable Pizza

Jo: Rotisserie Turkey Club Sandwich

Janet: Roasted Seasonal Vegetable Pizza

Ivor: Pepperoni Pizza

We sat outside again in the quiet area round the back and Isabella had lots of fun playing with Ivor and she got some Mickey Mouse stickers that Janet had been saving for her which she loved. We also had a friend join us for lunch, I think he may have been related to Kermit.

Fun!

Really fun!

Check out my stickers

They don't serve frogs in Wolfgang Puck

"Here you are nanny, have a sticker"

Er...

After lunch, we had a wander round the shops and then it was time for Isabella’s nap. Unfortunately she still didn’t want to sleep in her pram, so I had to walk round the Marketplace car park for a while and eventually she fell asleep.

Janet and Ivor wanted to stay at Downtown Disney and have a drink so Jo and I headed back to the room.

The afternoon was spent relaxing in the room and after Janet and Ivor came to say goodbye and pick up their cases we got ready for dinner.

Tonight we were going to Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary Resort, and we were hoping that Isabella would enjoy meeting Mickey and the gang.

This was my first visit to the Contemporary and I found it quite a strange experience. Having been used to visiting the various resorts throughout this and the last Disney holiday, the Contemporary felt much more like a hotel than any of the others, and much busier.

Thankfully Isabella really enjoyed meeting the characters, although she was a little shy with them. Jo and I also enjoyed meeting them too! We were also happy that Isabella drank lots of water and ate. The food was really nice and we’re definitely going back there when we go again in January - oh, by the way, did I mention that we’re going again? We booked it last week! Just the three of us this time though, so no Half Marathon but we’re still going in January.

Isabella loves Minnie... no, really

Donald

Goofy

MICKEY!

Isabella really loved meeting Mickey. Honest.

Daddy met Pluto!

After dinner we went straight home and I played with Isabella while Jo got on the phone and rearranged Monday night’s dinner reservation. We were originally going to be having lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern but Jo saw on her My Disney Experience app on her phone that there was a reservation free at ’Ohana on Monday night. As ‘Ohana reservations are hard to come by we thought we’d make the most of the opportunity. We’d been discussing whether we really wanted a big lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern on that day anyway, so it seemed perfect.

So with Janet and Ivor now on their way home it was just the three of us for the next five days. Isabella was sick once in the night, which was the first time in 12 hours, so we were hoping she was on the road to recovery.

Love your hat mum
Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #38
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Love her face in that last photo!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #39
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Enjoying the updates. I love seeing how other families holiday differently.
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #40
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 11 - Shop 'til You... Get Thrown Up On - Pt 2

Today was a shopping day.

We weren’t in a rush, so had a lazy morning and had a breakfast of toast and porridge.

As it was a Sunday we thought we’d avoid the outlets so headed to Mall at Millenia, our favourite mall, which usually meant Cheesecake Factory for lunch.

On the way to the mall we stopped at the Super Target just off Millenia Boulevard. Jo wanted to see whether they did the drinks holder console for our new stroller. Isabella fell asleep in the car on the way, so Jo went in on her own while I waited in the car with a sleeping baby and did a lot of people watching.

Super Target is massive, the biggest supermarket Jo had ever been in, and she was in there for what felt like a really long time stocking up on some much needed supplies.

Possibly the dullest photo on this board!

Isabella with a fork... this wasn't a day for good photos!

When Jo returned to the car, she rather expertly managed to put the shopping in the car and get in without waking Isabella - a task made all the more difficult due to annoying ding-ding that happens every time you open a door.

We made the short drive to the Mall and parked in our usual area outside Bloomingdale’s. We waited until Isabella woke up until we headed into the mall.

There are a few shops that we usually visit when we go there like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, lululemon, Macys, American Eagle, Walking Company (for the Uggs) and Gap.

Isabella enjoyed lululemon and Gap but didn't like the smells, loud music and lack of lighting in Hollister and Abercrombie - in about 10 years I know that will not be the case! Whilst looking round Abercrombie she was actually a little sick on Jo (she was in the Ergo baby carrier), I’m sure she’s not the first person that’s happened to.

We decided that maybe Cheesecake Factory wasn’t the best idea as Isabella was obviously still not 100%, so instead we went upstairs to the Orangerie Cafes Food Court and got some calzones from Tony & Bruno's, one of the fast food counters there.

After lunch, we decided to head home but on the way out of the mall Isabella discovered how much fun you can have going up and down escalators!

As we were still after this console for the stroller, we popped over to Babies R Us. As it was a really hot day we also got ourselves an ice cream before driving back to the resort.

On the way home I started to feel unwell and when we got back to the room I felt really sick and started shivering, so had to go to bed. It was only 5 o’clock and I spent the rest of the evening in and out of bed throwing up and alternating shivering and sweating. We found out the next day when Jo spoke to Janet that Ivor had also felt ill when they got home so obviously Ivor and I caught whatever Isabella had, which we think was probably Norovirus. Jo heard recently that there had actually been a lot of cases reported in the area at that time.

Fortunately we didn’t have any reservations booked for this night as we’d expected to have a late lunch/early dinner at Cheesecake Factory, so Jo took Isabella down to Artist’s Palette.

Jo: Vegetarian Flatbread / Mickey Bar

When she got back she tried feeding Isabella before putting her to bed and Isabella was sick again and didn’t want to go to sleep.

I was still feeling really rough and wasn’t able to help out like I usually do.

It had turned out to be a pretty bad day and we hoped that the next day would be better as there wasn’t long left of our holiday and we wanted to make sure we enjoyed it.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #41
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 12 - Brought To You By The Letter "Urgh"

This morning I was still feeling ill but fortunately wasn’t sick again. Unfortunately after eating some toast with Isabella on the pull out bed I started to feel really unwell again and needed to lie down, so Jo took Isabella out around for a while and ended up at Artist’s Palette again for lunch. I ended up laying in the room watching Sesame Street while they were out and attempted to finish off my toast.

Breakfast in bed

Our princess

When Jo came back, Isabella was asleep in the Ergo and I felt like I should get outside so we walked (slowly) over to Downtown Disney. This turned out to be a good idea as some fresh air made me feel much better.

We headed to Disney’s Days of Christmas shop and carried on our tradition of buying a red and/or white Christmas decoration for our tree.

After a little more browsing round the shops in the Marketplace we headed back to the resort. Isabella had stayed asleep the whole time we were at Downtown Disney and was still asleep when we got back so we walked over to Artist’s Palette and got a Rice Krispie treat.

She eventually woke up as we headed back to the room and after getting changed we decided to pop to Magic Kingdom for a little while before our (second) trip to ‘Ohana.

We drove to the Polynesian and then jumped on the monorail for the short trip to Magic Kingdom. We didn’t have much time there and as we were passing the castle the “Dream-Along with Mickey” show was starting so we decided to stop and watch. Isabella loved the show and made Jo cry a little when she waved at Mickey!

"Hello Mickey"

"I just need to make a call"

Isabella's new cushion

We then headed to the The Emporium on Main Street, U.S.A because we wanted Isabella to choose a Disney Princess cushion. She couldn’t decide which Princess was her favourite so Jo and I decided for her. We settled for Belle.

It was now time to head to ‘Ohana at the Polynesian Resort for dinner. Unfortunately this time around I didn’t enjoy the food as much as I wasn’t feeling 100%. Jo assured me that it was just as nice as last time and she really enjoyed it, which obviously made me feel much better...

After dinner we drove back to the resort and headed straight to bed. Unfortunately Isabella had a bad night and was sick a little bit again. It was taking a long time for her to shake this virus but she was being so brave and still enjoying being at Disney.

"Boo!"
Old 07-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Sorry you were ill on holiday it sucks when that happens.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #43
stewie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Sorry you were ill on holiday it sucks when that happens.
Thanks Chilly, it's the first time it's happened to me and hopefully the last!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #44
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 13 - It's All Part of the Plan (More or Less)

Today was another character breakfast, this time at Hollywood and Vine at Hollywood Studios. Fortunately I was feeling a lot better this morning and Isabella had a good night’s sleep.

It looked like it was going to be another hot day; we’d been a little surprised by the weather, as last time we came in January it had been mostly cold, interspersed with the odd warm day. This time around the weather had been hot most days, as mentioned in an earlier post, this had been the hottest marathon weekend they’d ever experienced.

Hollywood and Vine was busy, as expected, and we could see the characters we were going to meet. There was Special Agent Oso, Handy Manny, June (from Little Einsteins) and Jake (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates).

The waitress was a few years past her sell by date, as was most of the food on the buffet by the taste of it! Even the coffee left a lot to be desired.

We had a really good seat as we got to sit next to where some of the characters were doing their dancing. Isabella was really excited to see Oso, Jake & Manny. She was wearing her Special Agent Isabella vest and Oso made a big fuss of her, which she really loved.

We’re glad Isabella got to meet the characters, but the food was terrible, aside from the Mickey waffles and the watermelon.

Special Agent Isabella

A unique stuffed (dancing) bear

Isabella enjoyed Oso's dancing

The Special Agents meet at last

Isabella was a little wary at first

But it was all part of the plan (more or less)

Jake was there too minus the rest of the Neverland Pirates

Handy Manny also popped over to say "Hola"

Isabella had no idea who this was, neither did I at the time, we don't watch Little Einsteins

Smiling despite the food

We then left and headed to Animal Kingdom and the weather got a lot cooler. We were wondering whether our Animal Kingdom rain curse would strike again!

We’d already done Animal Kingdom earlier in the holiday so we wanted to visit some of the parts we didn’t have time to visit last time around. When we got there we got the Wildlife Express Train over to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. We knew that Isabella would enjoy seeing all the animals, she saw some goats, donkeys and a pig, and she also enjoyed running around. Before we came on holiday she’d started walking but wasn’t that confident, over the last couple of weeks she’d really progressed.

It was now time for lunch so we headed back to Africa and then went to Pizzafari on Discovery Island.

Me: Hot Italian Style Sandwich / no dessert
Jo: Vegetable Pizza / Chocolate Mousse

The food was nice although I still wasn’t feeling 100% so didn’t have a dessert.

After lunch, there wasn’t anything left to see so we decided to leave and go to Premium Outlet Mall at Vineland Avenue to do a little bit of shopping.

Jo assures me this was Rafiki

Isabella enjoyed seeing the animals

Isabella fell asleep in the pram on the way back to the car and we managed to get her in the car without her waking up.

She stayed asleep on the journey and when we got to the mall Jo managed to get her into the Ergo still asleep.

The mall was very busy and it wasn’t a particularly successful trip, although I did buy a pair of Nike Free 7.0's running trainers.

We really wanted to go to Gap as well but it was right over the other side of the mall and we had a dinner reservation at Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village so we needed to leave. Isabella woke up, we drove back to Saratoga Springs to get ready, and headed out to dinner.

This was our first visit to Kidani Village, just as our visit to Boma earlier in the holiday had been our first time to Jambo House too.

We both preferred Jambo House and Boma to Kidani Village and Sanaa.

Me: Sampler (which doesn’t appear to be on the menu anymore): Butter Chicken and Spicy Durban Chicken with Basmati Rice / No dessert again

Jo: Vegetarian Sampler: Stewed Lentils and Paneer Tikka with Basmati Rice / Banana Kulfi Sundae

The food wasn’t great Jo’s was too spicy, even for her (she has a palate of steel - her words not mine!), and Isabella didn't like it. The staff were very friendly though but we won’t be returning there in a hurry.

After dinner we headed straight home and Isabella had a good nights sleep.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #45
stewie
Earning My Ears

Day 14 - Fantasyland FAIL!

Isabella got lots of sleep last night, which we were pleased about. Breakfast this morning was at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Resort. Jo had been talking about Tonga Toast for months and we finally got to try it - it was very sweet. We shared that and a Big Kahuna breakfast, which was nice.

After breakfast it was off to Magic Kingdom via the monorail - we’d driven to the Polynesian.

Isabella likes to dress up for breakfast

This year was Limited Time Magic at World Disney World, and as part of that today they had rare character appearances from Disney’s Robin Hood (amongst others). Jo and I were both fans of Robin Hood growing up so we decided we’d queue up to meet them, as it wasn't very long. We never usually do this as we don’t want to waste precious time in queues but we thought this was a one off chance.

The queue was moving slowly due to people taking a lot of time getting photos taken and it was getting very frustrating. After waiting for about 30 minutes there were only two people in front of us when the Cast Member informed us that they characters had to take a break! We were very very annoyed at this, surely they knew how long it was taking and could have told us earlier rather than make us waste our time. Never again!

So after that extremely frustrating diversion we took Isabella on “It’s a Small World” and “Peter Pan’s Flight” and then headed to New Fantasyland. It wasn’t all complete but what they’ve got so far looked really good.

It's a small world after all

It's a small small world

Isabella & Mummy

Jo had really wanted to eat in “Be Our Guest” and even though we’d arrived about 15 minutes before it opened there was already a long queue so we decided to give it a miss - the day had not started well.

We decided to head over to Tomorrowland in search of lunch and stopped at Gaston’s Tavern to get a LeFou's Brew on the way.

Before we left New Fantasyland we went on “Under the Sea - The Journey of the Little Mermaid”. Now, perhaps it’s because I’ve not actually seen this film but I was very unimpressed with this ride and found it boring.

We headed to Tomorrowland to find somewhere to eat. After being in the brand new Fantasyland, I realise just how tired Tomorrowland is looking, more Yesterday than Tomorrowland!

Outside Gaston's

Cuddles

Isabella tried on daddy's sunglasses

Isabella had a costume change

We had lunch in Cosmic Rays, which was a terrible eating experience. The day was really a total disaster, so we decided to pack it in for today and headed back to the car.

As it was only the afternoon we thought we’d go and do a bit of shopping at Premium Outlets Mall at Vineland Avenue. We popped to Gap, Isabella had fallen asleep in the car so Jo put her in the Ergo. After wandering around the shops for a bit we headed to Publix and then it was back to the resort to start packing.

While Jo was packing, we gave Isabella her new Tinkerbell stuffed toy that we bought her from Downtown Disney a couple of days earlier. That kept her occupied for a while and gave us time to get everything sorted.

It was now dinner time and we’d booked the Turf Club for dinner as it’s on the resort. What had originally been a booking of convenience turned out to be one of favourite meals. The food was very good, I had a lovely steak and Jo really enjoyed her pasta. The staff were friendly, they bought Isabella a free bowl of blueberries. The other guests were also friendly and thought Isabella was cute.

Me: Grilled New York Strip / Cheesecake / Sam Adams Seasonal Beer
Joanne: Turf Club Shrimp Scampi Pasta / Maple Pot de Creme / Some kind of glowing cocktail
Isabella: Bowl of Blueberries

As we were leaving Isabella was playing in the corridor outside the restaurant and was really happy. We popped to the reception to pay our bill on the credit card, only to find a load of money in the safe that we’d forgotten about! Fortunately we were able to get the money put back on the credit card and pay cash instead.

Last day tomorrow.

Shopping

Jo's glowing drink

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: